UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Heard it But Didn't See It -Dog Fight
Judge hears an obvious dog fight but didn't see who started it. Which one applies?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Nothing can be done if the judge did not see the actual fight. 27 12.80%
Nothing can be done if the judge doesn't see who started the fight. 5 2.37%
The judge must, in some reasonable manner, decide who the aggressor is and scratch and report that dog. 6 2.84%
Scratch and report both dogs for fighting. 169 80.09%
Automatic cast vote determines how to score the situation. 4 1.90%
Total: 211 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Heard it But Didn't See It -Dog Fight

During the hunt, the judge acknowledges (he hears it) that they have an obvious dog fight in progress. They are the only two dogs at the tree, but the judge is not within sight to see which of the two dogs started the fight. Which of the following applies to this situation?

1. Nothing can be done if the judge did not see the actual fight.

2. Nothing can be done if the judge doesn't see who started the fight.

3. The judge must, in some reasonable manner, decide who the aggressor is and then scratch and report that dog.

4. Scratch and report both dogs for fighting.

Last edited by Allen / UKC on 06-22-2018 at 09:28 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2018 09:22 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Do you want to know what we think should be done or what UKC's official ruling/policy is?
Why didn't you ask a hard one like aggresive behavior?

Old Post 06-22-2018 11:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

4 both are gone to truck

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-22-2018 11:21 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

unfortunately 4

Old Post 06-22-2018 11:29 PM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Does he know where the other dogs in the cast are? Can it be proven that there are only 2 at the tree when the dog fight is heard? Because that info changes the answer.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-23-2018 01:26 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
,..... Can it be proven....

Oh my goodness, here comes the lawyering.

Do you want to make it interesting? What if there are 3 dogs treeing and called treed and a fight breaks out but stops before you get to the tree?

Old Post 06-23-2018 01:42 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, here comes the lawyering.

Do you want to make it interesting? What if there are 3 dogs treeing and called treed and a fight breaks out but stops before you get to the tree?

That one is not hard at all. There is nothing you can do. By proven I mean are the other dogs heard running or treeing somewhere else.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:16 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhosss
UKC Forum Member

FIGHTING Dogs

Judge SNATCHERS YOUR DOG THEN HE CAN WIN HIS CAST AND EAT BREAKFAST IN THE MORNING.DONE SEEN IT.SEEN IT ALL.NO MORE FOR ME.

Last edited by myhosss on 06-23-2018 at 06:15 AM

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:26 AM
myhosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhosss Click here to Send myhosss a Private Message Find more posts by myhosss Add myhosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry D Walker
UKC Forum Member

No Harm No Foul

Score the tree and move on...

Indiana

812-327-8224

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:28 AM
Larry D Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry D Walker Click here to Send Larry D Walker a Private Message Find more posts by Larry D Walker Add Larry D Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Terrell
UKC Forum Member

Judge said Must have been a coyote come in on them and try to run them of the tree. 🤔

Phone # 937-213-1779

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:35 AM
Doug Terrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Terrell Click here to Send Doug Terrell a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Terrell Find more posts by Doug Terrell Add Doug Terrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
That one is not hard at all. There is nothing you can do. By proven I mean are the other dogs heard running or treeing somewhere else.

I am fairly sure UKC has ruled that if the judge is sure based on voice they can scratch both dogs. The reasoning was if you can judge them on their voice and much of the judging is done by hearing then if he hears enough in the fight to determine that 1. There was a fight and 2. Who is involved then he can scratch them.

Old Post 06-23-2018 03:21 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

Re: No Harm No Foul

quote:
Originally posted by Larry D Walker
Score the tree and move on...

X2

Old Post 06-23-2018 04:13 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
I am fairly sure UKC has ruled that if the judge is sure based on voice they can scratch both dogs. The reasoning was if you can judge them on their voice and much of the judging is done by hearing then if he hears enough in the fight to determine that 1. There was a fight and 2. Who is involved then he can scratch them.

What they ruled was that if you can be absolutely certain that those two are the only ones there they can be scratched. If a third dog is there then you can not or you don't know where the rest of the dogs are you can not. A dog does not have to be barking to be fighting.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-23-2018 08:46 AM
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Fighting

If the agressor is known scratch the agressor. Of the aggressor is not known scratch both, per the night hunt rules.

Old Post 06-23-2018 09:56 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
That one is not hard at all. There is nothing you can do.....

Oh my goodness, the dogs fight and there is nothing that you can do? I thought that the rule said scratch all dogs involved? If you don't know or can't see then everybody gets scratched. This isn't one of those "give them the benefit of the doubt" rules.

Old Post 06-23-2018 12:12 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, the dogs fight and there is nothing that you can do? I thought that the rule said scratch all dogs involved? If you don't know or can't see then everybody gets scratched. This isn't one of those "give them the benefit of the doubt" rules.

Richard, this is such a serious offense you have to know which dogs are involved.

You can't have 2 dogs fighting and scratch all 4 because there was a fight but you don't know who was involved.

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:37 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

And you can't just let it go according to UKC. Now that is not my opinion, that is UKC's. I was judging a cast at AO one year. Two dogs were treed. Third dog came in and fight broke out. It was over before we got to tree. I was almost positive which dog started it but did not see it. So I scratched all three. (and one was mine) Other handler questioned it and we went back to a very knowlegeable, well known and respected MOH. He said yes you have to scratch all 3 dogs at the tree. Fourth dog was out and never there so he went back out by himself.

Old Post 06-23-2018 03:43 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

The original scenario didn't mention that there was any other dogs on the cast

Old Post 06-23-2018 04:35 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:

By everyone, does it mean other dogs milling around but not treed? And I am 99.99% sure rules state you cannot use a Garmin in scoring situations. So.. what other dogs are there? Handler checks his Garmin, but states his dog is not barking but 200 yards to the right... Can't use Garmin, scratch him anyway?
Too many what if's to just scratch what you hear... And I will tell you, April is a month where yotes will attack dogs on a tree if they get close to their den and pups. I have had it happen already

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 06-23-2018 04:49 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Richard, this is such a serious offense you have to know which dogs are involved.

You can't have 2 dogs fighting and scratch all 4 because there was a fight but you don't know who was involved.

I think you can. In fact, I think the judge is required to do just that if all four dogs are at the scene.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-23-2018 04:54 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

They aggressor is usually the one still on the tree when you get there and behaving like a little angel. They just let them rumble now days you don't believe it dogs hunting for $30,000 get in the final 4 on the play by play one backs the other just decides to leave wish we had sound on those play by plays lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-23-2018 05:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

If the people judging started scratching all dogs involved which I think is the right thing to do, over the years I have done it once or twice and other times I should have but did not. we would see one of two things in about a year either more people at the hunts or less. JMHO with that said as I get older I will probably scratch them all even if my dog was at the tree. I have one Giant dog who is one of the best pup trainer I have ever raised. But like Gus from lonesome dove he will not tolerate rude behavior ever. If I hunted him in the hunts , it would be interesting to see what happens to the jockeying for position fang pressure types etc. And I do not think it is has bad as it used to be either but then I do not comp hunt as much as I did in years past. My buddy and I took 3 of our best extra trashy depression era sportsmen hounds last night and made 2 trees saw 2 coon and they caught 1 in the spillway of a pond. turned loose at 11 pm back home by 1 am.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-23-2018 05:19 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I would just withdraw my dog and go home. That's never been done before.

Old Post 06-23-2018 06:15 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I think you can. In fact, I think the judge is required to do just that if all four dogs are at the scene.

I believe you would have to know which ones were involved though that's what I am saying not just scratch everybody on the cast because you couldn't figure out which one of the two started it.

I think you would be allowed to make a judgement by evidence as well (tooth marks, bleeding etc) and how they acted when you got there.

You just have to do the best you can to scratch all that were actually involved with the least of collateral damage possible.

Heck most of the time you can listen and tell which two it is, just an example but you have two females and one male on the cast, the male is a super hard treedog and never shuts up while two other dogs are fighting the females are gone you wouldn't scratch the male just because he was at the tree where the fight took place if you can tell he wasn't involved.

Old Post 06-23-2018 07:08 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everyone has their own opinion about what should be done but if it is questioned and taken back to a competent MOH then every dog involved is going to get scratched.

Old Post 06-23-2018 07:47 PM