UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogs overheating ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Dogs overheating ?

I'd like to get your guys opinion on why certain dogs tend to overheat.

Say for example I have 1 dog that gets hunted the same as the other 1.

1 of them overheats really bad and the other barely pants after treeing several minutes.

Is it genetics you think?

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-21-2018 04:54 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i think some can be genetic. tree style , hair coat i'm sure there is more.

Old Post 06-21-2018 05:55 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Dogs are like people some of them will get hotter than others. You can mitigate some of it. Getting the dogs in proper physical condition, and proper nutrition will go along way. I think a good quality feed will do as much as the physical conditioning.

Old Post 06-21-2018 06:31 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Some of them just run cooler then others. It seems to me that larger dogs are often the ones that run hotter, not always but in my experience the big houndy built/looking dogs seem to get hot easier then smaller more streamline type dogs.

Old Post 06-21-2018 08:18 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

You ever play sports? I think of my son and his best friend. They hung out together from the time they were 5 yrs old on. They played the same sports and did the same training day in day out. One was an athlete the other just loved being part of the team.
There is always the possibility of an underlying health issue.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-21-2018 09:47 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Lots of things can cause it but one of the biggest is hydration. Try soaking the food of the one that's running hot and see if it helps.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-22-2018 12:52 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Lots of things can cause it but one of the biggest is hydration. Try soaking the food of the one that's running hot and see if it helps.

I think you may be onto something here. Problem is tho a lot of dogs don't like their feed soaked. But a big part of me says hydration has a lot to do with it. Some dogs just refuse to drink much water until they are running and making trees. Then they can't get enough.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 06-22-2018 01:33 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snaggles
UKC Forum Member

feed has a lot to do with it as well as hydration an a lot of other thang as others have mentioned. what works for one want work for the other. I have a male that I could not hunt at all in the summer he would fall out. someone told me to try him on grain free glutten free feed an man did it make a big change hunt him all night now..

Old Post 06-22-2018 03:50 PM
snaggles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snaggles Click here to Send snaggles a Private Message Click Here to Email snaggles Find more posts by snaggles Add snaggles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Good quality feed defereniteley will make a big difference.

Old Post 06-22-2018 07:33 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Feed

X2 on the feed.

My female was getting REALLY hot after treeing for a short time and it wasn't even that hot outside. About a month ago I changed to a better meat based feed and it has made a BIG difference.

In the summer I carry water at all times and water her after each dump. She now simply jumps on the tailgate, uses her head to swing the dog box door out of the way and starts drinking! I wouldn't have believed it made that big of a difference.

Some of it could just be the dog as well. A team of 10 kids all run the same amount at practices....why does 1 kid hardly breath hard and one sweats like a dog? Weight, condition, nutrition and genetics all play a role.

Old Post 06-22-2018 08:08 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Take how ever much dog food you feed your dog and pour water over it until it turns completely to mush. That's how much fluid the dog is using from its body to digest the food. Mine doesn't run hot and he hardly ever drinks any water because the raw diet is actually hydrating the dog instead of dehydrating it.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-22-2018 08:58 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Michael can you tell me how you do your raw diet. I think it may be a real factor but don't know how to go about it. You can even call me at 870-350-0981

Old Post 06-22-2018 10:35 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

I think its a

Thyroid issue

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 06-24-2018 11:45 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daryl wyland
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I think you may be onto something here. Problem is tho a lot of dogs don't like their feed soaked. But a big part of me says hydration has a lot to do with it. Some dogs just refuse to drink much water until they are running and making trees. Then they can't get enough.

If the dog don't like mush try to put the water on the food shortly before you feed over fill with water so the food floats or sinks! The way dogs eat he will naturally take on water trying to get to the feed.

Old Post 06-24-2018 12:54 PM
daryl wyland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daryl wyland Click here to Send daryl wyland a Private Message Click Here to Email daryl wyland Find more posts by daryl wyland Add daryl wyland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Overheating......

The real problem is too many trying to play "Doctor" to their dogs. Its Summer Time all across the Country, its Hot out....Dogs are running Tracks, Treeing Coons and yes they will get Hot. Let your Dog get somewhat used to it by Hunting them short hunts at first then gradually increase it.
Food ?
Dehydration ?
Thyroid ?
Health problems ?
Bunch of Baloney in my opinion.

Our lazy butts are sitting on the tailgate with our Garmins watching our Hounds on the screen....then we drive our lazy butts as close to the tree by Truck or by ATV, Buggy or whatever you want to call it......LOL
Give your Dog water between drops and they will be fine.

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 06-24-2018 03:05 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Just something to think about. "Back in the day" it used to be the custom to feed a dog food that was lower in protein and fat in the summer and keep your dog on the thin side. The dogs didn't seem to get near as hot. Then again it seemed everyone wanted a slobbermouth tree dog and I've yet to see one of them that didn't heat up in warm weather. A thin dog that barks once a second on the tree can tree all night. It sure is hard on a heavy fed bug eyed tree dog in the summer. When the weather started cooling down, the nights got longer, hunting time increased and the dog could use some extra protein and fat then the dog food was stepped up. Not a sure cure for everybody just something to think about.

Old Post 06-24-2018 03:23 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Michael can you tell me how you do your raw diet. I think it may be a real factor but don't know how to go about it. You can even call me at 870-350-0981

Sorry Tom, I missed this. I'll give you a call tomorrow when I get back home.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-26-2018 09:42 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I think joey is onto something!!! I just havent tried it yet but I'm going to !!!!

Some Use a good quality canned dog food and add extra water to it, They should lap it ALL up even if they are picky eater . Ive got a picky eater and she laps it up good.
Some people use Pedialyte and keep it in dog box readily avail.

Old Post 06-26-2018 10:03 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Triple k why do you think feed, dehydration, thyroid, and health problems are baloney. Were hearing more about dogs with health issues such as thyroid now then 10-15 years ago. because people are more informed and are having specialty test done. Good quality feed most definitely will help.

Old Post 06-27-2018 11:54 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Hounds....

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Triple k why do you think feed, dehydration, thyroid, and health problems are baloney. Were hearing more about dogs with health issues such as thyroid now then 10-15 years ago. because people are more informed and are having specialty test done. Good quality feed most definitely will help.

My opinion, and its just that.....an opinion, is that alot of these health problems in our Hounds is related to these so called Good Quality Feeds. To much added Junk in them.
You read on here alot about guys giving their Hounds a Medication that was not intended for Dog use, like Wormers and Flea Meds etc.......Could this be part of the health problems ?
Guys not hunting their Hounds enough to get them used to the heat, and then just throwing them out there on a 85 degree night.
Just my thoughts.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 07-02-2018 at 12:10 PM

Old Post 06-28-2018 12:13 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Overheating......

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel

Our lazy butts are sitting on the tailgate with our Garmins watching our Hounds on the screen....then we drive our lazy butts as close to the tree by Truck or by ATV, Buggy or whatever you want to call it......LOL
Give your Dog water between drops and they will be fine.

Yep, that's me. And I totally agree.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-28-2018 12:38 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs overheating ?

quote:
1 of them overheats really bad and the other barely pants after treeing several minutes.

Let's see, they get hunted the same and get the same food and neither gets any meds. Now what?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-28-2018 at 04:16 AM

Old Post 06-28-2018 01:45 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

Keep them thin

Most like me keep their dogs to heavy in summer. But I don’t hunt that hard anymore in summer so I like them fat. Lol

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

PR Git Ryght Ryta. (GrNtCh Kant Git Ryght x GrNtCh Magic Style Dolly )

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Old Post 06-28-2018 01:55 AM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark
UKC Forum Member

Try giving your dog pedialite , it will help

Laser Torch Lights
Ch.Gr.Nt.Ch. TrackMan's Cajun Lady ( CURENT #8 REPRODUCR )

Pr Cajuns Plane Jane

Old Post 06-28-2018 10:59 AM
Mark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Click here to Send Mark a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Find more posts by Mark Add Mark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs overheating ?

quote:

Just a thought........did the one that Overheats run a longer Track .......Was the Terrain a little rougher perhaps ?
Things like this can make a difference .
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 06-28-2018 12:52 PM