UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > score this one
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

score this one

Was pleasure hunting but wondering if it happens in a hunt what you do. Cut the dogs and they open. Ran track for say two hundred yards than shut up do most of you start the eight, or minus them for babbling immediately?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-21-2018 06:00 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

If it's within the minute you don't have to strike them. With the little bit of information given it seems as though the dog or dogs were excited and we're not struck on a track.

Old Post 06-21-2018 06:27 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: score this one

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Was pleasure hunting but wondering if it happens in a hunt what you do. Cut the dogs and they open. Ran track for say two hundred yards than shut up do most of you start the eight, or minus them for babbling immediately?

99.9999999% chance that the cast will just start the 8.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-21-2018 06:28 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

I shock mine so he will bark again and I minus the other dogs

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-21-2018 07:36 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If they were babbling, then I minus them. If they weren't, then I start the eight.

Old Post 06-21-2018 08:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

in the first min

yes from the time they hit the ground they were barking. they ran track for about we'll say 3 1/2 min then shut up. I was just wondering after about 30 sec what most would do. after about 2 1/2 min of silence they fell treed with the coon close to were they stopped running track. but I was wondering in the 2 1/2 min how many would have minus the dogs for babbling? And if as a judge if you did what could you do to fix it? personal at first yeah I thought about slapping mine but then they treed with the meat so...

Old Post 06-21-2018 08:39 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

One of those that is hard to form a solid opinion, if you weren't there.

This is where the judge and the "witnesses" come in. Were the dogs declared struck where no track was evident? Nothing else matters. That's what you have to decide and then score accordingly. So, how would you have scored it, had you been the judge?

Old Post 06-21-2018 08:49 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

well at first like I said thought about running them down and giving them what for, but they don't babble (most of the time) so they got the benefit of the doubt and it payed off. they ended up not leaving the country and under a coon. plus it up. if I was in a hunt and this came up I'd tell them after about 30 sec I'm starting the 8 and they either need to tree in there or carry track out of there boys. Now then, had the next time they barked they been over a grand in there, to me that would have been an easy call to have them minus. And if my thinking is correct, the judge is the only one who has to determine if the dogs were babbling, is that right?

Old Post 06-21-2018 09:41 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
well at first like I said thought about running them down and giving them what for, but they don't babble (most of the time) so they got the benefit of the doubt and it payed off. they ended up not leaving the country and under a coon. plus it up. if I was in a hunt and this came up I'd tell them after about 30 sec I'm starting the 8 and they either need to tree in there or carry track out of there boys. Now then, had the next time they barked they been over a grand in there, to me that would have been an easy call to have them minus. And if my thinking is correct, the judge is the only one who has to determine if the dogs were babbling, is that right?

Part of your post is correct, it is the judges decision on whether or not they were babbling and he scores it accordingly.

If a handler doesn't like it they can ask for a vote.

As far as a ruling about carrying the track out or where they opened there is no rule in UKC about that. It's just a judges decision on whether or not they were babbling.

Old Post 06-21-2018 10:13 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Turned four dogs loose one night on a cast up a big creek. They opened off the leadstrap and were all struck. Ran about 75 yards and all shut up in the same place. They then went 600 yards or so and struck another track within the 8. One guy on the cast wanted them minused for babbling because they didn’t carry the track out of there. Had a heck of a time trying to explain to him the difference in babbling rules between the different kennel clubs. One of the dogs in the cast that was struck in off the lead was dang near silent so I believe they did run a track, holes it up and went on just by the way they sounded. This is an example of when dogs would get undeserved minus points in the other kennel club using their rules on babbling.

Old Post 06-22-2018 04:24 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe you need to be able to tell the difference between guit babbling and put something in a hole. Most hunters can tell the difference between a track ending and dogs just shutting up and going on. Now getting them to admit that is another story. It is amazing how easy it is to tell if dogs were babblng when you didn't strike your dog but how hard it is when you did.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-22-2018 at 02:11 PM

Old Post 06-22-2018 01:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote