UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Whats the best bedding for new born pup's ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chuck barham
UKC Forum Member

Whats the best bedding for new born pup's ?

Got a female having some Wipeout Speck pup's on Nov 1st or 2nd. I have her in a large box, just wonding what most folks use for bedding. I got some pup's killed years back using cedar shaving, they got choked on them. I am thinking news paper or carpet.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-21-2012 11:58 PM
chuck barham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck barham Click here to Send chuck barham a Private Message Click Here to Email chuck barham Find more posts by chuck barham Add chuck barham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

We've always had best luck with carpet, tack some down in the box and put a heat lamp on one side of box. After she has em, replace the carpet with a new dry peice. BUT, we've also used hay and straw, just watch out it doesn't irritate their skin.

Home of:
CH Crystal Springs Dear Darla
Crystal Creeks Dizzy Spell

Proud Handler of:
GRNITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Big John
NITECH PR Lifeways Fire Cracker

In Fond Memory of:
NITECH CH PR Jamie's Trashy Hightech Redneck
GRNITECH GRCH PR Morgan's Losses Hills Dawn
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb
NITECH CH PR Gimme Three Steps Mister

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:19 AM
Geminite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Geminite Click here to Send Geminite a Private Message Click Here to Email Geminite Visit Geminite's homepage! Find more posts by Geminite Add Geminite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slobbermouth21
Banned

I use a old blanket since I let my dog have hers in the house her first litter so wanted to make sure everything went ok my brother and his freinds always used cedar chips

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:22 AM
slobbermouth21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slobbermouth21 Click here to Send slobbermouth21 a Private Message Click Here to Email slobbermouth21 Find more posts by slobbermouth21 Add slobbermouth21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by slobbermouth21
I use a old blanket since I let my dog have hers in the house her first litter so wanted to make sure everything went ok my brother and his freinds always used cedar chips

Bad thing about using blankets and sheets is that the pups can get wrapped up in it easier and smother. But, like you said if they're inside and you can keep an eye on em itd be ok...

Home of:

Proud Handler of:

In Fond Memory of:
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:25 AM
Geminite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Geminite Click here to Send Geminite a Private Message Click Here to Email Geminite Visit Geminite's homepage! Find more posts by Geminite Add Geminite to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LIL-E
UKC Forum Member

Worked at a greyhound kennel as a teen and we used shredded paper from the bank.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:29 AM
LIL-E is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LIL-E Click here to Send LIL-E a Private Message Find more posts by LIL-E Add LIL-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

I always take a piece of carpet and fix it in place in the bottom of the box and about eight inches up the sides all around the box. Make sure to fasten the carpet down so the pups can't get under it or the female can't roll it over on any of the pups.

I leave the carpet in until the pups are ready to take out of the box but I will change it out a couple times when it gets dirty. The next day after the female has pups I always put a fresh piece in.

For heat I use a radiant space heater and leave it on real low in the corner of the box if it is cold. I make sure to fasten it securely to the wall so the female can't tip it over.

I raised two litters with snow on the ground last year with this setup and didn't lose any pups from the cold.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:36 AM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gadog1
UKC Forum Member

BEDDING

We let the Female have her pups in the dog house (No Bedding/Carpet). We have wooden dog houses. We clip Drop light with Red Heat Light bulb onto dog house entrance. (Buy Both @ Tractor Supply) After she's thru having pups we staple or nail in a piece of carpet. We Change carpet & wash dirty carpet piece (So on & So on). When the pups get a little older we have used cedar chips,but, Hay seems to keep them warmer in fall/winter months. Cedar seems to help with fleas more in warm months. Good Luck with your pups.

CHNITECH PR LILLYS SOU. SCOUT (13) (LillysGaJoe/LillysSugarBaby(Tige)

YOUNG DOGS:
PR Lillys Sou. Ga. LongShot (BIG BOY)
Born 7-13-14 Kansas Kate/Scout

STEVE & GALE LILLY
229-559-7079 HOME
229-834-5904 Gale's Cell
229-834-4095 Steve's Cell
E-Mail steve-gale7343@att.net

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:40 AM
gadog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gadog1 Click here to Send gadog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email gadog1 Find more posts by gadog1 Add gadog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph mcdonald
UKC Forum Member

I guess noone has had the female unravel the strands of carpet and get tangled up in it??

Or the female chew the cord to the heat lamps,,, etc. etc..

Now days out of pure safety and neccessity it is straw only, no heat lamp, no matter how dam cold it gets, and have raised everything from blueticks, foxhounds, down to little rat terriers this way, with ZERO PROBLEMS.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:47 AM
joseph mcdonald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph mcdonald Click here to Send joseph mcdonald a Private Message Click Here to Email joseph mcdonald Find more posts by joseph mcdonald Add joseph mcdonald to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

We suspend our light over the box, hang the cord from the ceiling, so she can't even reach the cord. As for the carpet, we buy dollar store rugs that fit exactly to the size of the box. Box also has rails all the way around (over top carpet) & rug is tacked down tight. She'd really have to do some thinking and serious prying to get it up.

Raising pups is truely a science, we've raised litters out of multiple females and have had pretty good luck.

I should mention that our box does not have a lid and is located inside a small, concrete floor barn.

Home of:

Proud Handler of:

In Fond Memory of:
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:51 AM
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joseph mcdonald

Or the female chew the cord to the heat lamps,,, etc. etc..

They can only chew the cord if you leave it where they can get to it. If they can't get to it they can't chew it.

If your females have chewed a cord it was your fault for leaving it where they could get it.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:52 AM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph mcdonald
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Virgil for your insight, and by the way... No Sh!t it was my fault. Alot of people will continue to make the same mistakes.

If you raise one or two litters a year, Iam sure ya'll are experts at it.

We have raised as many as 15 litters a year and CONTINUALLY LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions, please re-read the last sentence.

Raising pups is not a science, but a continual learning experience, anyone saying any different, just is'nt living in the real world.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:58 AM
joseph mcdonald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph mcdonald Click here to Send joseph mcdonald a Private Message Click Here to Email joseph mcdonald Find more posts by joseph mcdonald Add joseph mcdonald to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gadog1
UKC Forum Member

CORD ON HEAT LIGHT

We also situate the cord so the female or pups can't chew. Never had problem with female chewing cord or chewing carpet. (so Far). We don't use pinestraw either because, in the south, pinestraw has red bugs/ticks in it.

CHNITECH PR LILLYS SOU. SCOUT (13) (LillysGaJoe/LillysSugarBaby(Tige)

YOUNG DOGS:
PR Lillys Sou. Ga. LongShot (BIG BOY)
Born 7-13-14 Kansas Kate/Scout

STEVE & GALE LILLY
229-559-7079 HOME
229-834-5904 Gale's Cell
229-834-4095 Steve's Cell
E-Mail steve-gale7343@att.net

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:03 AM
gadog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gadog1 Click here to Send gadog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email gadog1 Find more posts by gadog1 Add gadog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck barham
UKC Forum Member

Is the light nessasary now since the lows are in the upper 40s ?

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:07 AM
chuck barham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck barham Click here to Send chuck barham a Private Message Click Here to Email chuck barham Find more posts by chuck barham Add chuck barham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Geminite
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joseph mcdonald
Thank you Virgil for your insight, and by the way... No Sh!t it was my fault. Alot of people will continue to make the same mistakes.

If you raise one or two litters a year, Iam sure ya'll are experts at it.

We have raised as many as 15 litters a year and CONTINUALLY LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions, please re-read the last sentence.

Raising pups is not a science, but a continual learning experience, anyone saying any different, just is'nt living in the real world.

I didn't mean to offend, was just offerring what we've learned along the way. We've not raised 15 a year but probably 4-5 a year. This has just always worked for us (have a litter due Nov 1st so hopefully it continues to) and was just sharing how we do it. Something CAN ALWAYS HAPPEN though.

We had a 6 week old pup drown in a water bucket once, so I do live in the real world and know that no matter how perfect you think you do things accidents can always happen.

Home of:

Proud Handler of:

In Fond Memory of:
GRCH PR Wilkinson's Jebb

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:15 AM
mrl1
UKC Forum Member

We mix cedar chips and wheat straw together. With a heat lamp over them

Michael L. Frankie W.

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:25 AM
mrl1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrl1 Click here to Send mrl1 a Private Message Click Here to Email mrl1 Find more posts by mrl1 Add mrl1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frankenstein
UKC Forum Member

If you have the room I always make a house /den out of several straw bales. Have had a couple litters in febuary this way with good luck.

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:27 AM
Frankenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frankenstein Click here to Send Frankenstein a Private Message Click Here to Email Frankenstein Find more posts by Frankenstein Add Frankenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

I put hay down on the floor so I can change it out. Then I build an igloo with square baled hay all the way around them, sides and top also. Seems to work for me, I have a litter that is 14 days old and all are doing well.

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:56 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

SHEDDED NEWS PAPER, WILL OBSORB MESS, AND IF THEY GET UNDER IT WONT SMOTHER LIKE WITH CARPET, BLANKET, OR HAY OR CHIPS. DEPENDING ON WEATHER THEY DONT NEED MUCH OF ANYTHING.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 10-22-2012 12:59 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

//

Go to STAPLES & buy a paper shredder....Problem solved

Old Post 10-22-2012 01:52 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Good Welping Box !! with rails and Lots of Towels !! And keep a good Eye on them .. We have been buying Bath Towels when there on Sale for $3-4 ea .. And Wash the heck out of them ...

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 10-22-2012 03:21 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I measure the inside of the box. For arguments sake lets say it is 36"x 36". Now what I do is take two pieces of plywood (15" x 32") then lay them beside each other with a 2" gap between each sheet. Now, I staple a short nap carpet such as indoor/outdoor carpet to the pieces of plywood right where they lay.

With the 2" gap between the boards, you can simply fold the carpet in a V shape to place in the whelping box, or take it out. I make at least 3 of these set-ups. Right after the pups are born, I remove the first carpet and boards. I then replace it with one of the other clean setups that I have.

This system has worked very well for me.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 10-22-2012 05:39 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billy doyce
UKC Forum Member

Forget about all the above and go back to mother nature. Let her out of that pen and fix it to where she can get under the house or the barn or what ever kind of building you have. Don't worry about what they are or how many till you see them sticking their heads out and running around in the yard. Them ole mamma dogs know what they are supposed to do and the more you fool with them the more you mess them up.

Old Post 10-22-2012 05:58 PM
billy doyce is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billy doyce Click here to Send billy doyce a Private Message Click Here to Email billy doyce Find more posts by billy doyce Add billy doyce to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

I am with Joseph- straw or even better grassy meadow hay.
IMO any heat source other than a heated floor mat is a fire risk.
Carpet is a risk of mother [or 6 week old pups] pulling up threads and eating them. How many pups seem to die of mysterious blockages? How often does a mother get a crazy need to eat strange things during whelping?
Blankets other than wool will hold moisture that will make pups colder rather than warmer. No blanket is better than a wet blanket.
Yes, you need a heat source this time of year, or almost any other. Getting cold is IMO the number one cause of pup loss.
Seriously check out the heated floor pads. They have wire over the cord to protect it from chewing and are almost 100% risk free regarding fire.

Old Post 10-22-2012 06:47 PM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Ben,

I have never had any problems or unexplained deaths when using the carpet. If a carpet starts to fray it is replaced. Oh, I don't use the carpet past the first 2-3 weeks. Then I switch to straw. I interpreted the original question asking about bedding materials for whelping and newborns.

A heated mat would be a good choice if you have a means to prevent chewing the cord. Mats will not work in my set-up.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 10-22-2012 08:54 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melanie H.
UKC Forum Member

I've always went and bought a couple of the black industrial rugs with the rubber backing.. They are heavy enough I've never had a dog pull them up.. If you have a momma who is trying to dig them up, you can tack them down in the whelping box... I use the headed pads in there for them to lay on.. When it's cold they are all piled up on the heating pad..

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Old Post 10-22-2012 09:03 PM
Melanie H. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melanie H. Click here to Send Melanie H. a Private Message Click Here to Email Melanie H. Visit Melanie H.'s homepage! Find more posts by Melanie H. Add Melanie H. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote