UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Only in Minnesota
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Only in Minnesota

It seems that with all the rains and flooding in southern MN there has been an influx of Timber Rattlers in peoples yards. The DNR put out a warning to be on the lookout for them when working in the yard etc. Also reported that since Timber Rattlers are protected in MN. it is against the law to kill one. Like I said "ONLY IN MINNESOTA."

You can't fix STUPID!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-30-2019 03:16 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like you're going to be in the house until the water goes down.

Old Post 07-30-2019 03:52 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There is a reason why they are endangered and protected. Can you not kill one in self defence? Protected just means that you can't tell anyone when you kill one.

Old Post 07-30-2019 04:16 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If Louisiana wants to protect snakes they better assign a game warden to every snake.

Old Post 07-30-2019 04:33 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
It sounds like you're going to be in the house until the water goes down.

I live 200 miles north of the Rattlers. For me that's close enough. LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 07-30-2019 06:46 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bob

The more we encroach upon the natural habitat of these creatures, the more contact we are going to have with them, it's pretty simple. We build in their backyard and what can one expect? People have the same , etc in different states, California, and other states that build houses in their habitat and then complain when they see a snake. Dave

Old Post 07-31-2019 09:22 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

When I lived in Mn they said there weren't any snakes.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 08-03-2019 04:40 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

I have never seen a snake chace someone down just to bite them! just walk away and we will be good.

Old Post 08-04-2019 01:10 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Go down to the swamps in Arkansas. The water moccasins/cotton mouths will come after you.

Old Post 08-04-2019 03:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Go down to the swamps in Arkansas. The water moccasins/cotton mouths will come after you.

In Texas...cottonmouths will sometimes chase you when provoked...and sometimes when unprovoked...

Old Post 08-04-2019 04:37 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

I learned several years ago

I use to hate all snakes, not anymore. Talking to a guy at work changed my thinking on snakes.
Leave the non poisonous snakes alone, they compete with the poisonous snakes. The more nonpoisonous snakes you have, the less poisonous snakes you have. Made sense to me, so I live by that. We only have a few Rattle snakes in this area and they are pretty much all located south of Mill Creek lake in Clark County. Hopefully it stays that way.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 08-04-2019 06:05 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We only used to have a very few rattlesnakes in this area so the DNR in their infinite wisdom decided to bring some more in and turn them loose.

Old Post 08-05-2019 02:28 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Oh my goodness! Surely you have not been duped by unfounded tales that the DNR actually turned rattlesnakes loose. Those allegations have been unfounded. We hear these tales in all parts of the country, that the States DNR turn loose rattlesnakes, ALL UNFOUNDED. Where do they get these snakes? I would need Actual Proof before I would agree. Dave

Old Post 08-05-2019 07:59 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

the coyotes in my part of country has exploded in last 10 yrs. wonder how they ever got started in first place. now what will they bring in to control the coyote. hmmmm

Old Post 08-05-2019 08:27 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

There have been MANY studies done on timber rattlesnakes, the kind we have in Tennessee and ALL of these studies have shown that relocating these snakes DOES NOT work. If timber rattlesnakes are relocated to far from their communal dens the mortality rate is close to 100 percent. Restocking timber rattlesnakes is not a feasable solution and no restocking programs exist. All these stories about the DNR restocking rattlesnakes are untrue, it Would NOT WORK even if they tried. Dave

Old Post 08-05-2019 08:41 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Dave iam gonna google that and see what it says. lol

Old Post 08-05-2019 08:47 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Mr. Lambert

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
There have been MANY studies done on timber rattlesnakes, the kind we have in Tennessee and ALL of these studies have shown that relocating these snakes DOES NOT work. If timber rattlesnakes are relocated to far from their communal dens the mortality rate is close to 100 percent. Restocking timber rattlesnakes is not a feasable solution and no restocking programs exist. All these stories about the DNR restocking rattlesnakes are untrue, it Would NOT WORK even if they tried. Dave

I was picking up trophies and plaques at a place here in town a fee years ago and see these danger signs they have made up for the Missouri Conservation Dept. They were to be placed on and were signs that read reinhabited historic rattlesnake den. I asked the guy where they were for and he said all the dept would tell him is close. Missouri like many other states has this idea that if it once lived here it should be turned loose to repopulate again. Snakes, elk, mountain lion, wolves the list goes on.
I personally have never seen a rattler in the wild here but most of you have read of our copperhead issue. As for encroaching on their territory, this yard is mine and my grandchildren play here. If stay in the woods and they are safe from me. They come in my yard my grandchildren safety comes first. Up to 12 but haven't seen any in a couple of weeks. Maybe they noticed their lost relatives and spread the word to keep away.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-05-2019 09:37 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

I hate venomous snakes, and like you, I will kill any found in my yard. The facts just do not back any restocking of timber rattlesnakes as they are dependent on a communal den for survival, restocked snakes would perish. Read the many studies backing this up and decide for yourself. False allegations are just that false, and do nothing but spread discontent. I would like anyone to show proof of any DNR stocking timber rattlesnakes, not some unfounded rumor. Dave

Old Post 08-05-2019 10:10 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards, Tarbaby told me so it must be true.

Old Post 08-05-2019 10:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

They said the rattle snakes have learned not to rattle because the hogs are eating them. Well they aint eating enough of them. They are everywhere.

Tar

Old Post 08-05-2019 10:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

When they cut the four lane cross Clinch(25E) in Tenn. Those guys discovered just how many rattlers there were on that part of mountain. We now get two or three a year in the yard at farm. Never seen one till after the road. So I think they moved and survived.

Old Post 08-05-2019 11:34 PM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

state law

most states have a law against turning venomous snakes loose. It is illegal even for the dnr to relocate or reintroduce them.

Old Post 08-09-2019 01:51 AM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, who makes those laws? The DNR can do whatever they want.

Old Post 08-09-2019 01:03 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Oh my goodness! Surely you don't believe that the DNR operates as they see fit. You should check and see just how the DNR is run, they operate under a set of rules just like any other branch of the government. Dave

Old Post 08-09-2019 05:37 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have checked. They make up their own rules.

Old Post 08-09-2019 09:09 PM