UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rubber boots that are snake bite proof
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Rubber boots that are snake bite proof

I need input on a top quality snake rubber boot that is snakebite proof...a boot that holds up in mud and water...thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:45 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is one we get from Dan's Hunting Gear.

https://www.conkeysoutdoors.com/cgi...port-Snake-Boot

Old Post 02-22-2020 12:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Snakebite proof rubber, isn't that an oxymoron?

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Has a snake ever bitten anyone through their boot?

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:16 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Stan don't go there. LOL. I think back at my history of hunting in FL with plenty of snakes. Started purchasing WICK Snake chap many, many years ago. Don't think I was ever smart enough to think the boot wasn't snake proof. I got snake chaps and figured I was protected.

Here is what I know about boots made today. Some claim to be snake proof. Most are not. Those Lacrosse are advertised as snack proof. Here is one tidbit I will throw out there. Dans Frogger boot when it was designed and made. Was made 1mil (not much) thicker to withstand stick and things poking through them. With that said. They were tested by some guy in texas that does these test and the proved to be snack proof on the lower section. Dan's chose not to take the risk and promote them as snake proof. I won't either but they did pass the test. I think the Frogger Boot with snake chaps will give you plenty of protection. Here is the thing. The type of snake has a lot to do with it and where they hit you. The cottonmouth is one thing. A big rattler is something else.

Old Post 02-22-2020 03:36 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I always wear the old fashioned Lacrosse, Grange I know for a fact that they are not snake proof. I was dealing with a moccasin one time and stepped on it's neck so that I could cut its head off. I didn't step on the neck close enough to the head. The snake was able to bend around and bite my boot where my little toe was. I watched its fang slide into the rubber like it was butter. Then I felt the coolness of the venom on my little toe. But the fang didn't pernitrate my toe. The venom left a stain on my sock that never washed out. That's as close as I've come to getting snake bite. I think it helps to wear loose fitting boots because it leaves a gap between you and the rubber that the fang may not cross.

Old Post 02-22-2020 06:42 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Bruce...

I am going to start hunt the salt grass marshes and they are thick with rattlers...back in the early 1980s we saw 2 or three on average and average length was between 4’4” and 4’6” and a few over 5’...we also killed one over 6’ that was about 3” diameter...we finally gave it up in that area...

For some unknown reason that place was loaded with rattlers...

Well I bought a mud boat with a boss glide motor to get me deep in the marsh for hog dogging...hate doing it but land is shrinking for long range dogs...

The boots...I was wondering if there was a rubber boot made with snake bite protection on the inside...

Boots will have to fit somewhat tight...otherwise I will leave them stuck in the mud while wrestling with a 250 pound boar in the mud...done that a few times and now I wear tight fitting rubber boots...my toes will be hurting when I get home but I won’t come out of them in the mud...so I have to try before I buy...

Thanks for the input...

Old Post 02-22-2020 09:45 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
I always wear the old fashioned Lacrosse, Grange I know for a fact that they are not snake proof. I was dealing with a moccasin one time and stepped on it's neck so that I could cut its head off. I didn't step on the neck close enough to the head. The snake was able to bend around and bite my boot where my little toe was. I watched its fang slide into the rubber like it was butter. Then I felt the coolness of the venom on my little toe. But the fang didn't pernitrate my toe. The venom left a stain on my sock that never washed out. That's as close as I've come to getting snake bite. I think it helps to wear loose fitting boots because it leaves a gap between you and the rubber that the fang may not cross.

That was a close call...my cousin got bit by a copperhead this past fall...my ac man got bit by a cottonmouth this fall as well...he said they had to give him twice the anti venom to turn it around...

What you said is something I fear...if we step on a snake the snake will strike at what’s stepping on it whether a shoe or boot...I think the worst thing that could happen is a big rattler to bite at your boot and get snagged with its fangs buried in your foot...I’m thinking this could be deadly...

Old Post 02-23-2020 05:45 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

have you thought about your dogs? after all, they have four feet and legs with no protection. can you imagine walking through the forest and swamps bare footed?

Old Post 02-23-2020 06:19 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone make snake proof booties for dogs?
I bet that Reuben's dogs have snake proof vests and collars.

Old Post 02-23-2020 06:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My hunting dogs haven’t been snake bitten in years...most places we hunt don’t have rattlesnakes...I bought a mud boat last week and having upgrades done to it for rigging and casting out of the boat...

My plan is to kill the first good sized rattler and then using it to break them off of snakes...once they know snakes are dangerous I won’t worry about my dogs...

When i was a kid I trained my dogs to kill snakes...they bayed until I gave the command...if they were over 3.5 feet, give or take, I killed them myself...I felt the bigger snakes were too dangerous and could bite my dogs...

Old Post 02-23-2020 11:55 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Stan don't go there. LOL. I think back at my history of hunting in FL with plenty of snakes. Started purchasing WICK Snake chap many, many years ago. Don't think I was ever smart enough to think the boot wasn't snake proof. I got snake chaps and figured I was protected.

Here is what I know about boots made today. Some claim to be snake proof. Most are not. Those Lacrosse are advertised as snack proof. Here is one tidbit I will throw out there. Dans Frogger boot when it was designed and made. Was made 1mil (not much) thicker to withstand stick and things poking through them. With that said. They were tested by some guy in texas that does these test and the proved to be snack proof on the lower section. Dan's chose not to take the risk and promote them as snake proof. I won't either but they did pass the test. I think the Frogger Boot with snake chaps will give you plenty of protection. Here is the thing. The type of snake has a lot to do with it and where they hit you. The cottonmouth is one thing. A big rattler is something else.

I might be down in your area next month, Maybe I'll see a snake or two.

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:46 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Y'all worry to much

Old Post 02-24-2020 01:15 AM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Two feet of snow and ice doesn't seem too bad all of the sudden

Old Post 02-24-2020 01:42 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

We had a dog get snake bit Friday night. It was 38 degrees.

Old Post 02-24-2020 01:46 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

you all need to do something about your snake population

Old Post 02-24-2020 03:04 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
you all need to do something about your snake population
Everybody I know kills every one they see.

Old Post 02-24-2020 03:10 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I suggest that you walk the creek and stream banks every time you go hunting and dispatch every venomous snake you see. I like using a frog gig and a 12 ga. Those gators must go too.

Old Post 02-24-2020 04:07 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I did some research on the internet for snake proof rubber boots...I found one pair that had high ratings...I didn’t order them because I wanted perfect fitting boots...I then looked at websites on several stores close to me and they didn’t have them...

I stopped at Bass Pro Shop when I had to drive that way...
Luckily they had about 12 different brands of snake boots and they also had that rubber boot with high ratings as a snake boot...and the area that is supposed to protect covers about 50 percent of the boot at most...

Well I looked at several and then I found a pair I liked...it is water proof and at least 98 percent snake proof and it is a good looking boot...another point in favor is that this boot comes in normal width and wide width and also in half sizes...plus the price is right...The brand is Rocky...
So far they are holding up and they have been water proof...if they last two seasons I will by another pair...

Old Post 03-15-2020 02:14 PM