UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Alpha vs dogtra ....
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
haymaker32
UKC Forum Member

Alpha vs dogtra ....

I’ve been using a alpha since they came out , I like a lot of other people had to buy a dogtra just to see what it was about ! I’ve used the dogtra 200 plus nights by now I’d say and have a good understanding of it .
Dogtra pros :
*picks up as good as garmin
*Detailed maps (free)
*simple to use

Cons :
*requires your phone
*im not fond of the correction buttons or the wide range of correction
* can be very hard on a phone battery and receiver goes down fairly quick compared to the collar .

All in all it’s a great system as long as you know your limitations and that being your phone ....phones weren’t meant to be out in down pours and in swamps . I can’t count the times I’ve had to take my otterbox off and get the water from between the case and phone . Several say , you take your phone to the tree anyways and yes I do , but it’s in my pants pocket and under nylon chaps . The better smart phone you run the better you can expect the app to work . All in all it’s a great system and exceptional for 400 bucks ! I think it will work good for most hunter except your guys who hunt a lot of water or the guy who’s hunting 300 nights a year simply because the phone isn’t designed to be in the weather night in or out . I still think the alpha has the edge because it is self contained and extremely durable . If you are on the fence about the dogtra , buy it ! If you are looking to replace your alpha or upgrade , I’d stick with the alpha ! Just what I’ve found from my experience !

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-04-2020 10:32 PM
haymaker32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for haymaker32 Click here to Send haymaker32 a Private Message Click Here to Email haymaker32 Find more posts by haymaker32 Add haymaker32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Great review! I've used the Dogtra quite a bit and would agree with your assessment.

To add to it, I would suggest that if it is your primary system, next time you upgrade your phone... get with one an IP67, or IP68 rating. I did this to ensure water would not be an issue. You were spot on that much of the user experience will be based on the quality of phone you get. Get a good phone... with a water resistant rating of IP 67, or 68, and you will have a great and dependable experience.

That said... it's not better than the Alpha- but not worse either. Nobody should be dogmatic about pushing one over the other just because they happen to own one brand. Both good products.

Last edited by houndsound on 07-04-2020 at 11:27 PM

Old Post 07-04-2020 11:20 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Great review!!! Thanks for sharing the info.

Old Post 07-06-2020 05:20 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Houston
New UKC Forum Member

I have both. Personally I prefer the garmin. The dogtra has excellent mapping if you have phone service, but if your service is out or weak. Mapping is pretty much useless, unless you download offline maps beforehand. The other thing I didn’t like about the dogtra was the fact, you get to sweating and your phone can accidentally shock your dog while it is in your pocket. I had my shock screen locked, and it somehow got all the way to the point it was unlocked and ready to shock. I was lucky to have stopped to pull it out to check it, and that was the screen it was on.

Old Post 07-09-2020 03:49 AM
Ryan Houston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Houston Click here to Send Ryan Houston a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Houston Find more posts by Ryan Houston Add Ryan Houston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Houston
The dogtra has excellent mapping if you have phone service, but if your service is out or weak. Mapping is pretty much useless, unless you download offline maps beforehand.

I hear this often... and really isn't it true of both devices? The Garmin, also has to have maps downloaded to work?

Old Post 07-09-2020 11:12 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
haymaker32
UKC Forum Member

I use the map cards with my alpha , but you can download maps on the base camp station on your pc but I’ve found the cards are easier for me .

Old Post 07-09-2020 11:39 PM
haymaker32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for haymaker32 Click here to Send haymaker32 a Private Message Click Here to Email haymaker32 Find more posts by haymaker32 Add haymaker32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

But still..... buying a card, and putting it in the garmin... is still dowloading the map. Not a big deal, But I'm always a little confused when people frequenlty list a "con" to the Dogtra as "you have to download maps if there is not cell service", when in fact it should be "pro" because you can download them easily, for free, and don't even need to most of the time.

Old Post 07-10-2020 10:00 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 07-14-2020 03:13 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I would like to second what Houndssound is saying about mapping and Dogtra. You don't need any cell phone service and you don't need to use the program they have installed to download an area. All you need is Google Maps this is and APP on most phones already or can easily be downloaded. Alloy do is open the map. Enlarge your map to cover a big area. When you get there to go hunting. You will have those maps. Nothing to it. I purchased a phone that has no service. Works great. I will admit that I use the ALPHA most of the time have have quit using it. But not because of issues. Mainly compatibility to the systems my buddies have.

Old Post 07-14-2020 04:13 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I myself have been considering upgrading to the Dogtra PATHFINDER, I downloaded the app and have been navigating through the app it seems to be very user friendly.
My problem is where I hunt I have 0 phone service most of the time so I’ve tried downloading area maps for the areas I hunt , using the WiFi at my home it takes many many hours to down load a area!
So I’ve not decided if I want to buy the unit yet!

Old Post 07-16-2020 11:59 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

That is odd for such a long download time..... Usually takes me a matter of minutes.

Old Post 07-16-2020 01:31 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I would like to second what Houndssound is saying about mapping and Dogtra. You don't need any cell phone service and you don't need to use the program they have installed to download an area. All you need is Google Maps this is and APP on most phones already or can easily be downloaded. Alloy do is open the map. Enlarge your map to cover a big area. When you get there to go hunting. You will have those maps. Nothing to it. I purchased a phone that has no service. Works great. I will admit that I use the ALPHA most of the time have have quit using it. But not because of issues. Mainly compatibility to the systems my buddies have.

I think they are both amazing, and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the only reason to choose one over the other.... What are most of your buddies using so as to be compatible. I hunt alone 95% of the time so it made little difference to me.

Old Post 07-16-2020 01:34 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
That is odd for such a long download time..... Usually takes me a matter of minutes.

Could be phone or the WiFi!
The phone is a iPhone 8?

Old Post 07-16-2020 01:45 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rdmedders
Could be phone or the WiFi!
The phone is a iPhone 8?

Decent phone... odd it took you that long. Did you download like half the State?

Remember what Bruce said also.... while I will download maps for a handful of places I go.. like Bruce said... there are times I just pull over where I have phone service before I get where I'm going..... open up the map- zoom in to where I'll be hunting..... and as long as I don't close the app out- the maps will work perfectly even when you lose cell phone service.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:13 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
Decent phone... odd it took you that long. Did you download like half the State?

Remember what Bruce said also.... while I will download maps for a handful of places I go.. like Bruce said... there are times I just pull over where I have phone service before I get where I'm going..... open up the map- zoom in to where I'll be hunting..... and as long as I don't close the app out- the maps will work perfectly even when you lose cell phone service.

I’ve been trying to download a whole zip code area?
That’s a a large area! That’s probably where Im going wrong.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:16 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rdmedders
I’ve been trying to download a whole zip code area?
That’s a a large area! That’s probably where Im going wrong.

Yeah... surely there is not an entire zip code that does not get cell phone service. Just download the approximate area you think you won't have cell phone service.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:19 PM
deercop
UKC Forum Member

I really like my Dogtra but I’ve tried both opening google maps like Bruce suggested and zoom in my hunting area while I have service. With both I just get fuzzy maps that are trying to download.

Old Post 07-16-2020 03:39 PM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have never seen google maps fuzzy. Just open google maps and don't zoom in. Zoom out. Catch your whole state. Have your dogtra app open. Then close google and everything should be there .

Old Post 07-16-2020 09:02 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Don't use the dogtra square to down load maps. Just open google. Zoom out to your whole state or two if your near the border. That's all you do.

Old Post 07-16-2020 09:04 PM
deercop
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the help. I left google maps open last night and opened Dogtra at my hunting spot and it didn’t work. Will try it again using your help.

Old Post 07-16-2020 09:09 PM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Me and my smart phone do not get along a lot of times! If I had to use it to track my hound I’m afraid I’ll have more issues!
So I’ve not decided if I will upgrade to the pathfinder!
A cell phone is prong to malfunction at any time!

Old Post 07-17-2020 01:38 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I've got a couple friends who use the Dogtra and they like it.. If i was starting from scratch maybe I'd go that route, but only if I had to from a financial stand point. We've all been young, broke and starting out. The Dogtra is a good entry point I think for many folks.

However for long term hunting and being an old guy bumbling around the woods in the dark alone, I really like two separate systems. I want my phone to be my phone and tucked away in the waterproof pouch on my belt safe and sound should I need it. I don't want to drop a $1000 phone in the woods or swamp tracking my dog.. Trust me, I would do that eventually.

The Garmin is much more robust and built for our type of hunting, a cell phone is not.. Further I run a drive track 71 in the truck, long range antenna and keep my spare alpha in the truck while hunting and the system powered on. The collar quality and Garmin's refurb program if you have a problem with something out of warranty it's hard to think about switching if you are already equipped.

You get a mile or more from the truck in one of those big MI swamps at 2:30am alone and about wore out, no cell service or very little battery left. That heavy duty Garmin with at least half it's battery life showing me exactly where the truck is and using my map chip to understand the terrain gives me great comfort.. My .02 worth

Old Post 07-17-2020 03:31 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
I've got a couple friends who use the Dogtra and they like it.. If i was starting from scratch maybe I'd go that route, but only if I had to from a financial stand point. We've all been young, broke and starting out. The Dogtra is a good entry point I think for many folks.

However for long term hunting and being an old guy bumbling around the woods in the dark alone, I really like two separate systems. I want my phone to be my phone and tucked away in the waterproof pouch on my belt safe and sound should I need it. I don't want to drop a $1000 phone in the woods or swamp tracking my dog.. Trust me, I would do that eventually.

The Garmin is much more robust and built for our type of hunting, a cell phone is not.. Further I run a drive track 71 in the truck, long range antenna and keep my spare alpha in the truck while hunting and the system powered on. The collar quality and Garmin's refurb program if you have a problem with something out of warranty it's hard to think about switching if you are already equipped.

You get a mile or more from the truck in one of those big MI swamps at 2:30am alone and about wore out, no cell service or very little battery left. That heavy duty Garmin with at least half it's battery life showing me exactly where the truck is and using my map chip to understand the terrain gives me great comfort.. My .02 worth

I agree with you Larry on everything you said...!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-17-2020 04:16 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walge
New UKC Forum Member

Hi

I am in Italy
I am looking for some impression about Pathfinder and his range.
I met some problem with both collars.
They los the signal frequently in different fields and sometimes there are difficults to resync.
I sent them to Dogtra Europe and they found them defective (!!)
They ask me some money, around 277 euros for two new collars as replacemente.
Unfortunatley the warranty end on october 2019 but my suspect is that the issue on range is a common issue.
One friend of mine tyest it on a lake with two little boats. And they lost the rf signals at less than 1 miles!!
On manual is writte 9 miles in best condition.

Bye

Walter

Old Post 07-21-2020 06:05 PM
walge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walge Click here to Send walge a Private Message Click Here to Email walge Find more posts by walge Add walge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Never used the Dogtra but I love my Alpha and DriveTrack 70. I use the DriveTrack when hunting with my hounds, calling critters on HUGE ranches and public lands or when I am showing a ranch to a prospective buyer. I have SD cards for East and West Texas, NM and AZ as I hunt all of this country.
Adios,
gary

Old Post 07-21-2020 07:50 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote