UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Deep and Alone
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Your last post on number of hunts and dogs you Championed proves a point, you won your share of hunts hunting under the same rules as every one else was hunting under. Its NEVER the rules that is the problem, it's the dog power in most cases. Remember that most of the hunts you hunted in was as a paid handler and most 99 percent of mine was hunting my own dogs. There are guys on both boards that hunt as paid handles just like you did and have hunted in hundreds of hunts. Big difference in hunting your own dogs and hunting in less hunts, but bottom line is that EVERYONE hunts under the same RULES and nobody should complain. I stay out of games that I have no chance if winning. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-27-2020 at 03:03 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:55 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Really stan pmd me and after you used all them big words on him he had to go get counseling. I told him here hold my beer I will show ya how to shake things loose lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 02:55 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You should have drunk the beer, you and Stan are no match even with me having the gloves on these days. I love to watch a man back himself in a corner or as the old saying " hang himself with his own rope". AG is out of town this weekend, so have at it, it's raining and I am bored. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 03:09 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I kinda expected somebody else to jump in what we going to talk about now ?

Oh you and I know they got punished for the faults they get paid for now. And I can tell you all the hunts back in the day I hunted in was some crappen really good dogs with those meat dogs it never was over till it was over there was some top notch handlers to. A lot of good memories.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 03:23 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Lol. You and I both have some pretty good memories, that what we have to rely on when you get old and crippled up. Don't you like to think back to the old days when you were young and getting all those wins on them dogs. I agree the hunts were much harder back then, 3 hours and 300 minus points was a wicked combo. Alas, those days are gone, but they can't take the memories away. Our days in the sun are over, but you better believe that I have much respect for what you done hunting those dogs loosing sleep and going to work wore out. You have more than earned your right to express your opinion on the hunts and coon hunting in general. I may not always agree with you, but you have a lot to offer and you are right about a lot of things. Too bad you aren't as good of a fisherperson as your wife.............ouch. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 03:37 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Lol. You and I both have some pretty good memories, that what we have to rely on when you get old and crippled up. Don't you like to think back to the old days when you were young and getting all those wins on them dogs. I agree the hunts were much harder back then, 3 hours and 300 minus points was a wicked combo. Alas, those days are gone, but they can't take the memories away. Our days in the sun are over, but you better believe that I have much respect for what you done hunting those dogs loosing sleep and going to work wore out. You have more than earned your right to express your opinion on the hunts and coon hunting in general. I may not always agree with you, but you have a lot to offer and you are right about a lot of things. Too bad you aren't as good of a fisherperson as your wife.............ouch. Dave

Wish she was a good of hook baiter, anchor puller, rod caster, fish cleaner as me that’s why she beats me I am pooped.

Tar

Old Post 06-27-2020 03:43 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

She is the one catching fish, surely you can bait her hook, cast the rod, manage the anchor, clean the fish. You know already that's the reason she lets you tag along on HER fishing trips. Lol. My wife has started getting interested in fishing, done gone and bought her own rod and reel and some tackle at Bass Pro. May have to buy another boat if she stays interested. I have a 16 foot trihull now, but would want one a little bigger if she wants to go with me, these mountain lakes can get real choppy when the wind gets up. Dave

Old Post 06-27-2020 04:49 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Deep and Alone

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Garmin happened. They used to be out of pocket and likely scratched for delay of cast....now you always know which hill to walk the cast up over. That covers deep. As far as alone...somebody realized its easier to "train" one to be alone then it was to breed a better dog that would be "first"

Couldn't agree more.

That's why I think our split tree point rules are outdated, and a detriment to breeding for better dogs. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs can get just as many points as 1st tree dogs.

If 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs (split or not) got 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree points, people would start wanting 1st tree dogs (the type of dog that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs are SPLITTING FROM)! Tracking would also improve, as the legitimate 1st tree dog is typically the one that finishes a track first.

There are always exceptions. I've certainly seen top dogs hit a tough track, and stick with it, and had a pup tree a pop-up before the old dog got treed. It happens.

I've had a couple that were independent to a fault. They would almost always split tree. The GOOD dog WAS ALREADY TREED!!! Otherwise, there would have been nothing to split from. I prefer the GOOD DOGS!

I do get excited when I see a pup/young dog split and hold (with the meat) from the GOOD DOG. But, the hope is that is just a step in their progression toward becoming a GOOD DOG themselves, rather than an indicator that that is all they will ever be.

Old Post 06-27-2020 04:55 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Deep and Alone
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Garmin happened. They used to be out of pocket and likely scratched for delay of cast....now you always know which hill to walk the cast up over. That covers deep. As far as alone...somebody realized its easier to "train" one to be alone then it was to breed a better dog that would be "first"

Couldn't agree more.

That's why I think our split tree point rules are outdated, and a detriment to breeding for better dogs. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs can get just as many points as 1st tree dogs.

If 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs (split or not) got 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree points, people would start wanting 1st tree dogs (the type of dog that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs are SPLITTING FROM)! Tracking would also improve, as the legitimate 1st tree dog is typically the one that finishes a track first.

There are always exceptions. I've certainly seen top dogs hit a tough track, and stick with it, and had a pup tree a pop-up before the old dog got treed. It happens.

I've had a couple that were independent to a fault. They would almost always split tree. The GOOD dog WAS ALREADY TREED!!! Otherwise, there would have been nothing to split from. I prefer the GOOD DOGS!

I do get excited when I see a pup/young dog split and hold (with the meat) from the GOOD DOG. But, the hope is that is just a step in their progression toward becoming a GOOD DOG themselves, rather than an indicator that that is all they will ever be.

Excellent posts...

Old Post 07-01-2020 02:04 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ReichertCaleb
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Best place to find an animal like this is on this ukc message board.

It is also possible, it depends on luck.

Old Post 07-01-2020 04:03 AM
ReichertCaleb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ReichertCaleb Click here to Send ReichertCaleb a Private Message Click Here to Email ReichertCaleb Visit ReichertCaleb's homepage! Find more posts by ReichertCaleb Add ReichertCaleb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I think there is varying degrees of "deep" and varying degrees of "alone". I don't care for hunting a dog that death marches you to the ends of the earth but they're popular because it burns up the clock. And I like a dog to back if its within 200 or so yards of the treed dogs. But I prefer a coon tree'er over a dog that gets treed. You'll win 50% of your casts here if you can tree 1 coon and no minus. I like a dog to hunt out away from you as it goes, not race to the back 40. But what I prefer doesn't always win. Winning is fun and especially when you win by treeing coons. I'd rather my dog ran the whole cast than making me walk to a bunch of slick trees. But that could be me. I don't care if my dog gets backed by yours. When o care is when the dog in hunting will break its neck trying to cover a dog from some distance. I've seen some dogs be working a track at 600 to 900 and leave their track to cover. I won't hunt that type.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Last edited by novicane65 on 07-03-2020 at 11:48 AM

Old Post 07-03-2020 11:43 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote