UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Absolute naturals ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Absolute naturals ?

How many naturals have y’all had that all you ever did was just take them to the woods and they made above average dogs.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2020 12:49 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've had two pups that just started treeing coons the first time or two they went to the woods. Both were decent as grown dogs, but neither finished out as an above average hound.

Old Post 06-07-2020 01:36 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I have had 2 that started Split treeing by the time they were 6 months old. As a 1.5 year old you couldn’t hunt them with anything else, they were both mean as a rattlesnake and were both just average dogs at best, but were intense tree dogs. They would both run through the woods tight to silent on the ground and ambushed coons. Not my style at all for sure but they were impressive at a very young age.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 06-07-2020 01:58 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I had a walker pup out of Hammering Earl that was running loose in my back yard and at 3 mos old he took himself hunting one night and treed a coon. It was the first time that he had ever seen one. At 3 yrs old he was a very nice hound. In between 3 mos and 3 years, he ran every fox, deer and coyote in 3 states and treed every possum in East Tennessee. He also treed a coon or two in between all of that.

Old Post 06-07-2020 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't just take 1 to the woods. I generally always lay a couple drags if i raised them from pups . I have had a number pups that are what I consider complete naturals. Ran and treed the 1st drag i ever laid right threw ta making a nice finished dog.
Doesn't mean that they didn't need trained what not to do.

Old Post 06-07-2020 03:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

My deacon dog was about 7 months old had never been out of the pen. I just put him in the box one night we cut loose and he was gone the dogs struck I told my buddy we got a strange dog in there he said that’s that pup. I said ain’t no way !! They got treed and boy did he get treed and it was him. Except for very little correction all I ever did was take him hunting.

Tar

Old Post 06-07-2020 03:15 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had several at 6 months do pretty good...
But this is a 2 year old dog I gave to my brother as a ten week old pup...he tested very well and I could tell he had a good nose and was calm pup...

My brother didn’t do anything with him and he gave him back to me at two years of age...I put him in the bay pen and he put on a show...the following week I took him to the woods and he struck with his siblings but didn’t pack up...he took his own hog and swam the Brazos River after his hog...the river is fairly wide...the next week they struck and he took his own hog and bayed it...my brother goes to that bay and takes a 200 pound sow and when she goes down he is all over her...

I didn’t like the fact he wouldn’t pack up but eventually he would...I like a dog that can do it alone and also pack up...

I don’t remember him running off game...

Old Post 06-07-2020 03:44 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

My old dog was that way. He ran loose on a farm and started treeing coons by himself at 5 and a half months old. He split from others that were in there hunting he was running loose and he split from their dogs with the coon.

He had treed over 50 coon before he ever saw one.

I will never get another one like that.

I got some pups off him now that I have high hopes for but you know how that goes.

Old Post 06-08-2020 04:16 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

The most natural pup I ever started I started by accident. I had a pup that had just turned 4 months old. My wife said it barked in the pen from the time I pulled out of the driveway until I got back home every night I went hunting. I decided I would take him along and let him follow me so he wouldn't keep my wife awake at night. The first night and the very first drop he treed with the old dogs. I figured he would just be barking at the dogs when I got there, but he was looking straight up the tree and treeing like he had been doing it for years. He had never been shown a caged coon or worked on a drag. It wasn't a one time deal either, he went and made things happen from that night forward. I foolishly sold him young for what I thought was a lot of money at the time. Later I was asked to put him in some nite hunts at about 1.5 years old and he was something else. His registered name was Gr. Nt. Ch. Pierce's Style. Most natural pup I ever seen and made a top hound. No telling what he would have won with a handler that would travel.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 06-10-2020 09:28 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Travis

Man, what I would give to have had that pup, if I could get one like that I would forget about my bad knee and hunt every night. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2020 10:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Had

Several over the years, all they needed was hunted.. Some minor correction required but not much. 3 were very good dogs the others were just average...

Old Post 06-10-2020 10:34 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pinehillkennels
UKC Forum Member

All I have had are like kids
Start out good and true
Hit those teenage years start rebellion
As adults some of them learn from the teenage years some never learn!

Old Post 06-11-2020 12:31 AM
pinehillkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pinehillkennels Click here to Send pinehillkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email pinehillkennels Find more posts by pinehillkennels Add pinehillkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Brown
His registered name was Gr. Nt. Ch. Pierce's Style. Most natural pup I ever seen and made a top hound.

Travis was he out of Harry x Little Peg by any chance ?

Old Post 06-11-2020 01:20 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Cypress Brake Setum Up Ace ,black and tan, was an absolute natural. He treed coons from the first night on. He is the one dog I regret selling. Jr.Steelman

Old Post 06-11-2020 02:17 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely Natural

I know some folks call an absolute natural if it starts out hunting coon and only coon...

I prefer an absolute natural to be a pup that rolls out hunting and the trashier the better...but not take long to learn what game he is to catch...

Old Post 06-11-2020 02:47 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

They say Old Sadie was
I can vouch for Kaskaskia River blue DIZZIE-Trudy and Molly

Old Post 06-11-2020 03:11 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Travis was he out of Harry x Little Peg by any chance ?

Yes.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 06-11-2020 04:03 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pinehillkennels
UKC Forum Member

JR Steelman we bought GrNtCh Setum Up Chance , I wish I had another one like him out of Old Ace!

Old Post 06-11-2020 10:16 PM
pinehillkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pinehillkennels Click here to Send pinehillkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email pinehillkennels Find more posts by pinehillkennels Add pinehillkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Naturals

"Perfect" is her name! She picked me as she would tree bark after I left the pen from feeding them. She did unusual things like climbing out of her pen everyday from 3 weeks on to poop outside and then climb back in with her littermates. At 5 months old Brice and I took Zip hunting and took Perfect along on her first ride. She'd never been hunting. Zip treed at 300 yards across a corn field and it was amusing as Perfect had never seen corn rows and thought the first row of corn was a fence, but she figured it out and on her way to Zip she struck a track and trailed to within 100 feet of Zip, located and treed loud and solid. She had a litter and was telling the World about it! I'ved had a lot of naturals over the years, but never like Perfect.

Old Post 06-12-2020 05:38 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

PHK,Chance was a good one too. He was already started and doing good when Eddie and I got him.
I still remember meeting someone in eastern Alabama and sending Chance to you. Jr.Steelman

Old Post 06-13-2020 01:32 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I had a walker pup out of Hammering Earl that was running loose in my back yard and at 3 mos old he took himself hunting one night and treed a coon. It was the first time that he had ever seen one. At 3 yrs old he was a very nice hound. In between 3 mos and 3 years, he ran every fox, deer and coyote in 3 states and treed every possum in East Tennessee. He also treed a coon or two in between all of that.

THE MAGNIFICENT BOBBY

Old Post 06-14-2020 09:13 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Natural??

Like most, I've owned or have witnessed several over the years that started at a very young age with little or no assistance at all but in all my years I've only ever owned one that I would call a true natural. My Mountain State Big Bud was that. I hadn't ever fooled with him other than to take him out of the kennel and let him run around the yard. One evening I noticed a coon turning over cow pies in the neighbors field so I thought I'd walk him up to see what he'd do with the scent. Surprising to me, as soon as he cut the track he immediately opened then proceeded up wind and made a circle with his head up. He finally ended up over on the fence row and just sat down on his butt and began to tree with his head straight in the air. When I got to him he was just above the tree with the coon in it. That was all natural, nothing man made. At 6 months old we took him to the woods with the old dog and she made 3 trees, one single, one double and a den and he was up on the side of every one treeing, (not barking because the old dog was, big difference). He just progressed from there, treeing alone with the coon at 8 months and I was hunting him alone regular at 9 months. I never had to run a training collar on him and he never treed a possum in his whole life. He was a natural deep, wide hunter that was not for the faint of heart hunter plus he had the biggest mouth of any hound I ever owned, bar none! He sired several pups but none quite like him. I would definitely label him a true natural.

Last edited by Ron Moore on 06-17-2020 at 01:57 PM

Old Post 06-15-2020 11:36 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

I’ve just picked up a cur pup that is 3 months old. She is 3/4 Mt Cur and 1/4 walker. This little thing is treeing squirrels already and you have to drag her away from the tree....Never seen anything like it... Lol

Old Post 06-15-2020 02:20 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

JB Cobb...sounds like a good one...

I told a friend of mine that someone was giving away two Mt Cur pups out of squirrel champion bloodlines...I like Mt curs but didn’t have room so I passed up without taking a look at them...

My buddy picks one up and at three months old was baying the hogs in the bay pen like a champion...she didn’t want to get caught she was dodging my buddy...she was good looking on top of that...she was out striking the old dogs at 6 months...I could of had her for free...that particular friend sees dogs as tools and doesn’t seem to really appreciate above average performance...

Old Post 06-16-2020 12:02 AM