UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Need your thoughts
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Shed Master
UKC Forum Member

Need your thoughts

I have a 2 year old female that has just now started locking up like a seizure. When I go to load the dogs up she gets so excited in the kennel then when I let her out she locks up for about a minute. What I mean by lock up is stiff laying on her side like she is running and salivating. Is this anxiety or seizures. Is there something I can do to fix this. What do you all think? Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-07-2014 10:34 PM
Shed Master is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shed Master Click here to Send Shed Master a Private Message Find more posts by Shed Master Add Shed Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midvalleybeagle
UKC Forum Member

It for sure sounds like a seizure caused by excitement I'd say. I'm no vet but if she keeps it up I'd get her looked at.

GRPCH GRCH MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTER
TWO FIRST IN HB ALSO. STATE RACE WINNER 2015 PP

GRPCH HBCH MID VALLEY HURRY UP SWEET PEA
2015 MARYLAND STATE PP CHAMPION 5TH IN WORLD 2018

MID VALLEY BUNNY BUSTERS DREAM

MID VALLEY CRACK HEAD NOLA

MID VALLEY & FRAZIERS PICKING BANJO

MICHAEL TOBERY
JENNIFER TOBERY
MICHAEL TOBERY JR
CHASE TOBERY
KAYLYNN TOBERY

Old Post 10-08-2014 01:30 AM
midvalleybeagle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midvalleybeagle Click here to Send midvalleybeagle a Private Message Click Here to Email midvalleybeagle Visit midvalleybeagle's homepage! Find more posts by midvalleybeagle Add midvalleybeagle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

Most likely Epilepsy...It's not uncommon in Beagles. I had a mother and daughter that both had it. Mother did not show signs until after she was bred but before she had 1 pup at 3 years of age. They said giving them sugar, like candy, would reduce the incidences but it didn't work for me. I ended up putting both mine down. Don't take my word for it but that's my guess.

"Epilepsy

Although epilepsy is probably the most well-known cause of seizure, it does not mean that your dog has epilepsy because of seizure. There are basically two types of seizures, primary and secondary.

Secondary seizure is caused by outside stimulus and the source is known. However, primary seizure has no known source, it could sometimes be a genetic issue.

Seizures in this case occur more frequently over the course of the dog's life, and if it happens between the age of 1 to 3, it's likely due to genetics.

Genetics

Being prone to seizures has been proved to be a hereditary trait. There are certain breeds that are more inclined to seizures. These breeds include, the Golden Retriever, the Poodle, the Beagle, the Keeshond, the Collie, the Dachshund, and the German Shepherd."

Old Post 10-08-2014 01:29 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shed Master
UKC Forum Member

I gave her candy and let her stay in the kennel for about 2 hours then turned them loose like I would any other time to load them up and had no problems with her at all. So hopefully this will solve the issue she's to good of a dog. Thanks again for the information.

Old Post 10-09-2014 11:19 PM
Shed Master is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shed Master Click here to Send Shed Master a Private Message Find more posts by Shed Master Add Shed Master to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patriciac.packp
Banned

i think you have to speak with your vet. I am not sure why your dog behave so but you need to find a solution.,

Old Post 10-16-2014 11:21 AM
patriciac.packp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patriciac.packp Click here to Send patriciac.packp a Private Message Click Here to Email patriciac.packp Find more posts by patriciac.packp Add patriciac.packp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote