UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Never comp. hunted but would like to start all I hear about is all the cheating??????
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Never comp. hunted but would like to start all I hear about is all the cheating??????

Really want to start comp. hunting but is it really that bad out there. Is there that much cheating going on.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2015 09:13 AM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frank M
UKC Forum Member

99% of what people call "being cheated" is them not knowing the rules or how to apply them!!!

That being said Yes there are times when people cheat. This can be as simple as allowing squalling with out all dogs being handled or prior to 7 minutes being up on the tree. To people changing scores on a score card so they get a 1st place instead of a 2nd ect. place.

Most cast go very smooth with little to no arguing. The biggest problem is most people don't talk about the good cast their on just the bad ones!!!

The thing I try and tell everyone that's new to comp hunting is......once the dogs are drawn out into cast ONLY one dog can win that cast. This means at least 75% of the dogs at the hunt are gonna loose!!!

Just try and have fun and call your dog for what it does (not what you think it's doing or what you want it to do). KNOW the rules and how/when to imply them. This will stop a lot of would be cheating.

Good luck in your future comp hunting.

GrNtCh GrCh PKC Ch 'PR' Kate N Roys Demon Seed

NtCh FCh CH 'PR' Just A Dog

Just hunting to have some fun.
Use only the Rules UKC has writen not the ones you think should be there!

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:06 AM
Frank M is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frank M Click here to Send Frank M a Private Message Click Here to Email Frank M Find more posts by Frank M Add Frank M to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

GOOD AND BAD IN EVERYTHING. I HAVE HAD GREAT CASTS AND SOME I WOULD LIKE TO FORGET.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:20 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

You'll see way more hunts that were laid back and enjoyable than bad ones. Thing you have to remember when taking any kind of negative info from this board is things get WAY over dramatized on here. People that have been doing it for a while certainly know the rules and are going to do what they need to within those rules to go home with a win slip and they're not about to go reciting the rule book to you to help you win, lol but that's not cheating, that's just playing the game. Know the rules, know the scoring system and just go have a good time, but except the fact that your going to loose more hunts than your going to win. Just hunt and learn and you'll find winning will get easier.

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:40 AM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RLenhart
You'll see way more hunts that were laid back and enjoyable than bad ones. Thing you have to remember when taking any kind of negative info from this board is things get WAY over dramatized on here. People that have been doing it for a while certainly know the rules and are going to do what they need to within those rules to go home with a win slip and they're not about to go reciting the rule book to you to help you win, lol but that's not cheating, that's just playing the game. Know the rules, know the scoring system and just go have a good time, but except the fact that your going to loose more hunts than your going to win. Just hunt and learn and you'll find winning will get easier.

I AGREE ALOT OF GOOD POINTS HERE. IF YOU HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE STAY AWAY FROM HUNTS FOR A WEEKEND THEN GO BACK AT IT.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:58 AM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Classic rivers
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Frank M
99% of what people call "being cheated" is them not knowing the rules or how to apply them!!!

That being said Yes there are times when people cheat. This can be as simple as allowing squalling with out all dogs being handled or prior to 7 minutes being up on the tree. To people changing scores on a score card so they get a 1st place instead of a 2nd ect. place.

Most cast go very smooth with little to no arguing. The biggest problem is most people don't talk about the good cast their on just the bad ones!!!

The thing I try and tell everyone that's new to comp hunting is......once the dogs are drawn out into cast ONLY one dog can win that cast. This means at least 75% of the dogs at the hunt are gonna loose!!!

Just try and have fun and call your dog for what it does (not what you think it's doing or what you want it to do). KNOW the rules and how/when to imply them. This will stop a lot of would be cheating.

Exactly what Frank posted

Old Post 01-29-2015 12:22 PM
Classic rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Classic rivers Click here to Send Classic rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email Classic rivers Find more posts by Classic rivers Add Classic rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Frank M said it as close to the truth as it can be written.

Old Post 01-29-2015 12:29 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Unless your really new to the sport everybody in the cast by time the hunt is over knows witch dog should have won the cast but if it don't what would it hurt to turn around shake the mans hand and say sorry buddy the breaks didn't go your way but you sure got a nice dog ( I know it makes me feel better about loosing )

Old Post 01-29-2015 12:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Go back and read Frank M's post about four times...that is just about the best advice and set of statements any one could receive regarding comp. hunting.
Letting yourself feel like you have been cheated is the second biggest thing you need to stay away from in a nite hunt. The first being minus points!!! Here is a good example:
The last nite hunt I was on all dogs were struck. A dog is called treed. I was the hunting judge. I hear another dog at the tree treeing. The tree is about 400 yards away and about to be closed. We are heading that way and I let everyone know there is about 20 seconds left on that tree. There are definitely two dogs there blowing it down. Two of the other handlers say it is not their dogs. The closer we get the more I convince myself it must be my dog...it does kind of sound like him as we close in. I call him treed and we close it. I am the first one to the tree and there is only one dog. Mine is no where around and gets minus points.
When we recast the dogs one of the other handlers tells me that the dog that was treed has a double voice when it trees. It certainly did. Now, I could run and tell everyone how I was cheated...I ask who's dog it was and this handler certainly knew...he didn't bother to tell me about his dogs strange voice. But the fact is he didn't have to. He went on to get a first place, win good for him. My problem was my dog had a handler that should have known his voice better and not second guessed.
Bottom line, in the hunts if you are not winning don't look to other dogs or other handlers. You have to look at yourself and your dog for the answer. Did you get cheated or did you allow yourself to get cheated....or did you even get cheated???

Old Post 01-29-2015 12:58 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark booth
UKC Forum Member

My advice is. You have to really know the rules and apply them. Go spectating on a few hunts also. Last but not have fun.

Old Post 01-29-2015 01:05 PM
mark booth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark booth Click here to Send mark booth a Private Message Click Here to Email mark booth Find more posts by mark booth Add mark booth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

It's nice to here some positives about the sport thanks guys.

Old Post 01-29-2015 01:24 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Call your dog for what its doing. Dont try and guess what its about to do. When it comes down to it. Be a man an take your minus. Try noy to get hot headed. Handle stuff by the rule book. Dont be afraid to speak your mind. You might learn something out of it but if you go in to these hunts thinking about getting cheated. Your prolly going to get cheated. Remember its for fun. Another thing. If any of yall have unruly hunters on your casts at hunts. Cussing,belligerent,always trying to pull something. Dont just whine up and go home. Go back to club and tell some officers. Sometimes we never know because we aint there in the woods. We can put an end to it if it gets bad. A bad apple or 2 can ruin it for lots of people and like I said its supposed to be fun. Good luck.

Old Post 01-29-2015 03:29 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

There will be times your dog looks the best and you still lose because of minus points or not getting your calls right when you really need to . Stuff happens .
Like listening to the news on TV you usually only hear about the bad news .

Old Post 01-29-2015 06:33 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

The reason you hear so much about cheating is because it's a lot easier to tell your buddies "I GOT CHEATED" then it is "I GOT BEAT BY A BETTER DOG". LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 01-30-2015 12:43 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Been

on some really great competition hunts, been on a few really bad ones... They proved to me I wanted nothing to do with em anymore. The good outnumbered the bad by far, I just don't like grief when I am out for enjoyment.. Good luck to you.

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:03 AM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Frank M

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:26 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
The reason you hear so much about cheating is because it's a lot easier to tell your buddies "I GOT CHEATED" then it is "I GOT BEAT BY A BETTER DOG". LOL!

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:27 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

Comp hunting is a game more than a competition. If you approach it that way, you'll have a better time. As you have seen on this thread, many will say your dog is weak or you suck because you don't know the rules or have a weak dog. If you feel that you need to subject yourself and your dog to this environment to have fun.....well, good luck. If you feel that you have to enter this environment to prove a point, you'll end up being one of them that people accuse of cheating because you'll stop at nothing to prove whatever point it is that you feel the need to prove. When not actively hunting, they are pretty fun. lol

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:44 AM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Don't have to worry right now dog ain't worth a nickle

Old Post 01-31-2015 03:34 AM
Kenwood J. Maek
UKC Forum Member

Go out there and have fun. Know the rules. Call your dog as you hear him. Know you dog, spend time hunting your dog by his self. If you disagree with a call question the call at the time it was made. By questing I mean ask for a vote. Once the vote is taken it over win or lose it over and never mention it again. If its a rule question bring it to the Master of Hounds or the Hunt Director always in a polite manner never demanding. Do not call attention to another mans dog or degrade another mans dog.

Ch PR First Sergeant--has a first place
ChNtCh PR Rough Creek Vicky
GrNtCh PR Black Ace
NtCh PR Ace's Black Tater

Old Post 02-01-2015 04:09 PM
Kenwood J. Maek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenwood J. Maek Click here to Send Kenwood J. Maek a Private Message Find more posts by Kenwood J. Maek Add Kenwood J. Maek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Spectate

Go to a local club, talk to some of the locals. Ask which handler would be a good example to follow. Most clubs have some experienced handlers that usually have a good hound. Go spectate with one that wins some and never has any problems on a cast. Do this a several times with a few different handlers. Study the rules and know your dog very well. Then you will have fun competition hunting.
Spectating is free and no pressure.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 02-01-2015 11:04 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

I didn't know you could go and watch. Defanetly going to do that

Old Post 02-01-2015 11:33 PM
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

About the worst thing I encounter is guys not wanting to minus a slick tree . Just have a set of standards or code to live by minus your own dog and You will be fine . Id say 95 % of the cast Ive been on in the last 30 years were great in either KC. If You conduct yourself honorably the rest usually do . I agree with the other guy congratulate the winner and when you return to the club house and people ask how it went just say I got beat regardless of how the breaks went .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 02-02-2015 03:46 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote