UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > big money dogs
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Hoosier man may I ask a question.

You say a loaner you are limiting yourself to 1 kennel club and not a quality score. I think a quality score is 12 1/2 if you win... BUT,

WHEN IT COMES TO WINNING WORLD HUNTS,AUTUMN OAKS,GRAND AMERICAN,NEW SLAM SERIES DOES IT TAKE QUALITY SCORES OR JUST A SCORE TO WIN THE CAST AND ADVANCE? I never seen it make a difference whether a 1000 plus or 25 plus if you only need to advance. QUALITY SCORES ARE FINE AT CLUB HUNTS OR YOUR BREED DAYS BUT THEY DONT PUT WORLD HUNT TROPHIES ON THE MANTLE.

Hey if you strive for cast wins then that's what suits you. If you like those average 100-400 plus cast wins and are happy then that's all that matters. When you hunt dead loaners get used to average scores because that's all you will get.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:29 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Congrats on Final 4 number 2 last night Nick

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:29 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
camaroracer
UKC Forum Member

Lol mines not that loud I have mufflers on it

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:33 PM
camaroracer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for camaroracer Click here to Send camaroracer a Private Message Click Here to Email camaroracer Find more posts by camaroracer Add camaroracer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Them boys hunt with me got 69 camaro. That joker sounds like the garage getting ready to take off. They tinker and talk. Somehow they understand each other. I always thinking what the heck are they saying how do they hear anything. Lol

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:38 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
Hey if you strive for cast wins then that's what suits you. If you like those average 100-400 plus cast wins and are happy then that's all that matters. When you hunt dead loaners get used to average scores because that's all you will get.

Trevor you will not rack big scores where I live I will promise you. That's why deeeep and lonely with the meat works so well. 250+ will always get you into final 4s and that's any of them. Trevor I will keep cashing checks.

Old Post 01-30-2015 12:04 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Congrats on Final 4 number 2 last night Nick

Thanks.

Old Post 01-30-2015 12:05 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Reid
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[i]Originally posted by N Williams A dog that will cover will cover on a slick. They may be good about trailing buy but they will do it. I can not stand that. [/B]

I have to agree, I don't like a dog to cover on a slick either but also know for sure it is possible for a dog to cover on a coon and go past a slick. This is just one more of many reasons all dogs are not worth the same.

Old Post 01-30-2015 12:07 AM
Rob Reid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Reid Click here to Send Rob Reid a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Reid Add Rob Reid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hoosier,I would be happy on those 100-400 scores with my loner as long as it a CW. Especially in that big hunt in Sept and that big hunt in October. But to each it's own. I agree totally you can not get those BIG scores with independent dogs usually. THE ONLY THING TO ME THAT REALLY SCREWS A CAST UP IS WHEN SOMEONE SHOWS UP WITH A COONDOG.

Old Post 01-30-2015 02:11 AM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: big money dogs

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
You your in the final cast of a hunt and a $27000 truck is on the line, $4000 at a prohunt, a $40,000 world hunt in other words alot is on the line. You have just pulled your hound off a tree with 20 minitues left in the cast. There is a coon on the ground 3/4 of a mile away but a hound is split 100 yards from ya, another is split behind you at 600 yards another hound is trailing 400 yards in another direction. You have got to tree a coon for a chance to win and you will be put in this circumstance often when your drawing the best in the country. There are hounds out there that can give you a chance to win but there worth more than $800-$2500. This is not a $25 dollar entry fee hunt this is a hunt it takes a hound of a high caliber to put you in this circumstance in the first place. This seperates the Gr.nites for sale on the internet from the big time winners. Thats the difference you can make fun of me if you want.

Facts gentlemen........ All facts

Old Post 01-30-2015 02:18 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1

I'll take 325+ every cast, and take my average scores all the way to the bank

Old Post 01-30-2015 12:50 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I think people are getting confused between loners vs. a dog that racehorses through the country. Some dogs just have a knack for being under a coon to themselves be it close or far. in my 35 years of coon hunting I have seen a few dogs that worked in a crowd that could trail by slick treers but not many. but really what its all about is hunting what suits you.

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:01 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RRILEY
UKC Forum Member

Big scores win cash/trophies .... Cast wins win you checks.

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:02 PM
RRILEY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRILEY Click here to Send RRILEY a Private Message Click Here to Email RRILEY Find more posts by RRILEY Add RRILEY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
I think people are getting confused between loners vs. a dog that racehorses through the country. Some dogs just have a knack for being under a coon to themselves be it close or far. in my 35 years of coon hunting I have seen a few dogs that worked in a crowd that could trail by slick treers but not many. but really what its all about is hunting what suits you.

Exactly Dean. Independence is a MUST but over the last 5-10 years breeders have taken it a step farther. No longer was being independent enough, now they not only want there dog alone they want it in another zip code. It's ruining the sport and these guys just can't see it.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 01-30-2015 01:47 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion if dogs go 5 minutes without striking a coon they should be scattered and looking to do there own thing.

Old Post 01-30-2015 05:58 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Did you ever think a coonhunter might tell you he gave more for a dog than he really did !! I used to ride to some big hunts with a guy he would buy a dog for 500 dollars and before we got home he would have me believing he gave 5000 dollars for it !!!

Old Post 01-30-2015 06:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CROSS E KENNELS
UKC Forum Member

I disagree with the lonely dog not being able to rack up big scores. We decided to haul my Harry dog to Oaks in 2008. We drew a Big name (Docs Honest Abe). We ended up with 875+. 100- which came from Harry getting hit by a car crossing the road and coming in and taking the minus. Harry was alone on every tree he made, and last strike on most. In my country with the same dog I would be happy with 250+. My point: In thick coon country a true loner ( not a race horse just trying to run a mile thru the country) can rack up just as many points and I would say more than the pack dog that is taking second-third tree on some with the pack. I will take the 25 strike 100-125 tree plused up alone anytime over the pack dog.

Old Post 01-30-2015 07:48 PM
CROSS E KENNELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CROSS E KENNELS Click here to Send CROSS E KENNELS a Private Message Click Here to Email CROSS E KENNELS Find more posts by CROSS E KENNELS Add CROSS E KENNELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I aggree. Dots the most independent hound I've ever seen in the walker boys complain when they draw her. I know she scored around a 1000 at oaks and at the state hunt this past year she had 475 in a little over a hour and closest thing to her had a 100 - but we don't have coons to get high scores here. Alot are going to get mad when when I say this but folks that complain about dead loners or deep and lonely do mainly because they don't have one. People that write and complain and say it can't be done LACK DOG POWER. I'm talking about compitition hunters. If your in thick coon they can split 200 yards. When you don't have no coon in your area take one that will be in the country alone with 2 lookin down I can even win.lol.

Old Post 01-30-2015 08:36 PM
Mike Van Dusen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I aggree. Dots the most independent hound I've ever seen in the walker boys complain when they draw her. I know she scored around a 1000 at oaks and at the state hunt this past year she had 475 in a little over a hour and closest thing to her had a 100 - but we don't have coons to get high scores here. Alot are going to get mad when when I say this but folks that complain about dead loners or deep and lonely do mainly because they don't have one. People that write and complain and say it can't be done LACK DOG POWER. I'm talking about compitition hunters. If your in thick coon they can split 200 yards. When you don't have no coon in your area take one that will be in the country alone with 2 lookin down I can even win.lol.

Sounds like you have a really nice dog, congrats on your winning.

"Coma Power"
"It's in the blood"
HOME- 219-326-7907
CELL-219-575-0067

Old Post 01-30-2015 09:19 PM
Mike Van Dusen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Van Dusen Click here to Send Mike Van Dusen a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Van Dusen Find more posts by Mike Van Dusen Add Mike Van Dusen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carter
Banned

quote:
Nothing wrong with independent hounds but people always talk about deep and lonely in thin coon. I live in eastern,ky and people are always talking about how thin the coon are. Nope! Their the ones who lack dog power. A COONDOG will show you just how many coon you have lol. If your dog was the deep and lonely kind back when I had my best dog he would make you pay. He would tree Coons behind dogs all night long. He was an Independent dog only because I believe he was a jealous dog. If a dog struck a coon on him he would not work that track with that dog but if he struck and treed he didn't have no problem letting a dog back him up.. I never did get to campaign him much. I took him to Walker days and scored 750+ with a cast win. Should had more cause I got shut out the first drop, he just wouldn't back em up.

Old Post 01-30-2015 10:33 PM
carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carter Click here to Send carter a Private Message Click Here to Email carter Find more posts by carter Add carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Ok sir you win. I have no clue what a nice hound is. The other night at warm up hunt 44 dogs were entered 4 coons were scored. And I love people that bring up dead dogs. If that hound had no moter and heart he couldn't get it done were I live. I've hunted in northern Kentucky east and west. You don't have coon like Some places but more than we do. I had a dead dog one time that I could sit on tailgate and he would tree them shoot them out and bring them to me. That was in the early nineties. He didn't produce that trait though.

Old Post 01-30-2015 10:57 PM
elvis
UKC Forum Member

Ive been lucky enough to hunt several world champions, a national champion and a couple superstakes winners and I am fairly certain that not one of them knew what registry they were entered in.
I prefer an indifferent dog that don't care what the others are doing. They must be able to operate at a high level with a pack or with a cast of loners.
In my opinion if you have a dog that can win a high percentage of casts and consistently strings several cast wins together no matter which registry or what the coon population is, you have a big money dog.
The problem is finding one, no matter how much your willing to pay. They are so rare that some of these guys will pay what most of us consider ridiculous money for one.

Old Post 01-30-2015 11:22 PM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
Ive been lucky enough to hunt several world champions, a national champion and a couple superstakes winners and I am fairly certain that not one of them knew what registry they were entered in.
I prefer an indifferent dog that don't care what the others are doing. They must be able to operate at a high level with a pack or with a cast of loners.
In my opinion if you have a dog that can win a high percentage of casts and consistently strings several cast wins together no matter which registry or what the coon population is, you have a big money dog.
The problem is finding one, no matter how much your willing to pay. They are so rare that some of these guys will pay what most of us consider ridiculous money for one.

I agree. We can argue all different factors. I have hunted with about half the hounds on the all time earning list on prohound. All had little different style but they were all real good at treeing coon and holding there points. I payed what everyone would say was a crazy price for mine but when I went to try here I could see the little blue thing was as unique of a hound as I've ever seen that's why I got crazy. As far as what the post is about the amount of sweat and hard work and $$$& it takes to come up with a nice one if your extremely hard to please which in my opinion makes a world class hound priceless with the amount fun and good memories they give you. People spend $5000 on vacations that last a week. You can have years of fun with a nice hound.

Old Post 01-30-2015 11:45 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Just wont to wish my buddy Blake good Luck Tonight at Good Springs Alabama With that $400 dog GrNtCh PKC Ch Hardwood Panic, If he gets in you will hunt it off.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-30-2015 11:46 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would have to sell a dog for 200,000 dollars just to break even on what I spent on dogs but the best one i ever owned I raised myself he's been dead 6 yrs now and I am back to the drawing board but I would give alot of money for another like him he always gave you the opportunity to win no matter who you got drawn out with but your right those kind of dogs are not there in bunches

Old Post 01-31-2015 12:12 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carter
Banned

quote:
Ok sir you win. I have no clue what a nice hound is. The other night at warm up hunt 44 dogs were entered 4 coons were scored. And I love people that bring up dead dogs. If that hound had no moter and heart he couldn't get it done were I live. I've hunted in northern Kentucky east and west. You don't have coon like Some places but more than we do. I had a dead dog one time that I could sit on tailgate and he would tree them shoot them out and bring them to me. That was in the early nineties. He didn't produce that trait though.
You know why people bring up dead dogs? For some they get better when their dead and for others it's that hound of a lifetime for which they will never own another. I didnt say you knew nothing about dogs. My local club had 9 cast last Saturday night for which not even 1 coon was even treed But some people like to blame it on the coons, they weren't moving, blah blah blah. I'll agree with ya, my dogs have to have motor. That's why I sold my last one, yeah he won a few good hunts but just didn't personally satisfy me. If my pup doesn't make it it wouldn't bother me one bit to shell out $5,000 for a good one if that's possible.

Old Post 01-31-2015 03:01 AM
carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carter Click here to Send carter a Private Message Click Here to Email carter Find more posts by carter Add carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote