UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > big money dogs
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
camaroracer
UKC Forum Member

big money dogs

What makes a man think he's got a 5 or 6 thousand dollar dog just becouse it can tree a coon? I've been coon hunting 20 years and haven't hunted with a dog of that caliber yet. I mean for that kind of money you can take your pick!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-28-2015 10:56 PM
camaroracer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for camaroracer Click here to Send camaroracer a Private Message Click Here to Email camaroracer Find more posts by camaroracer Add camaroracer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion the difference between a $2,000.00 dog and a $6,000.00 dog is simply the person who is wanting to buy it.

The only exception to this is a dog that has won several major events and/or the world hunt. Those dogs carry with themselves a certain marketability that the remaining good coon hounds simple do not have. Thus making them more marketable in the open market, plus you have a greater opportunity for a return on your investment.

JMO

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 01-28-2015 11:46 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COONDOG
UKC Forum Member

The difference Dave, is the 6000 dollar dog is a walker. The 2000 dollar dog is an off colored one. lol. I have had dogs that I could not get 1500 for, had a walker dog that could not go past a tree without treeing on it, and sold it for 2000 just because it had a big mouth. Guy seen it go, treed 5 times within 200 yards and never had a coon. My old redtick brokeout and treed one time that night and had a coon. Guy could not get his wallet out fast enough.

Nt.Ch.ChKizmo's Tru-Blu Grit (MIA)
rudedogs99@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/oh5/trublu/trublu.html
http://www.acorn-creek.com/signatures/Grit.jpg

Old Post 01-29-2015 12:57 AM
COONDOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COONDOG Click here to Send COONDOG a Private Message Click Here to Email COONDOG Visit COONDOG's homepage! Find more posts by COONDOG Add COONDOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

Depends who is sellin and whos buyin.... Years ago I had a nice young dog for sale asking 1000 had 3 people try him all wanted him but wanted to trade junk at new price... Week or so later hunted with a guy that bought and sold dogs all over sold dog for 850 a week later one of the idiots that tried the dog when I had him bought him for 2500 half up front half on the payment plan....dog must of really improved!!!

Old Post 01-29-2015 02:13 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

The differance Dave is when the off colored has competed and beat some of those 6 or7,000 Walker dogs!!! When your dog can do better than your buddys 6,000 dog he must be worth it?

Old Post 01-29-2015 02:41 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by COONDOG
The difference Dave, is the 6000 dollar dog is a walker. The 2000 dollar dog is an off colored one.

I think your onto something there. Lol

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 01-29-2015 02:45 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR

Depends on whose buying and whose selling. How bad you want it or how bad you need the money. Some 2,000 dollar hounds are twice as good as some 6,000 dollar ones. I wouldn't sell my favorite one right now for 10,000 CASH. Is he worth it? Heck no, but I would sell my light and gun before I sell my hound.

Old Post 01-29-2015 03:08 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

There is only one thing that decides the worth of anything, and that is simply what someone is willing to pay for it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-29-2015 04:47 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

How come when I go to try all these $2500 dogs I almost always see a man thats got a gr.nite that thinks that hound is as good as they come, but can't even begin to compete in the high dollar entry fee hunts. You want young prohunt style hound good luck finding one that can consistanly compete for $2500 thats under 6 or 7 years old.
Biggest difference is the recast. If that hound will not recast off a tree and not go back dogs split or trailing around them you will have a hard time competing. Hounds that will consistanly get you to the pay window will cost you. Don't take much this day and time to make a gr.nite and most of you are to hung up on that. I have culled a bunch in the last 5 years. I have bought alot of hounds for $2500 -$4000 that were coontreerers but had a pile of nit picky holes that made them different form hounds that consistanly get to the pay window. Now how many hounds are truly worth say $7500-$15000 in the country well maybe 15-20 at most. And alot of that depends on breed to. A prohunt style off colored hound usually cannot be purchaced not even for $10000. For those of you that do not understand my take of a prohunt style hound I can descirbe one to you if you would like me to because would love to find another english just like my dot female. You may stay on a leash for over a hour in a 2 hour cast when you draw her.

Old Post 01-29-2015 04:48 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Nick,you hit it.

Biggest problem is recast.

Most can tree one coon. That recast culls them fast.

Old Post 01-29-2015 05:01 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Id give $500 for a goodun today!! Come show it to me. We will hunt all night.

Old Post 01-29-2015 05:39 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BawlinBlues
UKC Forum Member

I think the price of dogs are realy crazy,I understand that some are better than others and that they can win big money.my personal opinion is that I wouldn't pay $5000 or more for a dog.first I don't have it to spend on a hobby,and I love my dogs but to me that's crazy.im sorry if I make anybody mad but that's my opinion.with all that big time money I think we lose sight of why we hunt these hounds,to me it's cause I love hounds and coo hunting.

Coty Strannahan

Old Post 01-29-2015 05:51 AM
BawlinBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BawlinBlues Click here to Send BawlinBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email BawlinBlues Find more posts by BawlinBlues Add BawlinBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: big money dogs

quote:
Originally posted by camaroracer
What makes a man think he's got a 5 or 6 thousand dollar dog just becouse it can tree a coon? I've been coon hunting 20 years and haven't hunted with a dog of that caliber yet. I mean for that kind of money you can take your pick!

You your in the final cast of a hunt and a $27000 truck is on the line, $4000 at a prohunt, a $40,000 world hunt in other words alot is on the line. You have just pulled your hound off a tree with 20 minitues left in the cast. There is a coon on the ground 3/4 of a mile away but a hound is split 100 yards from ya, another is split behind you at 600 yards another hound is trailing 400 yards in another direction. You have got to tree a coon for a chance to win and you will be put in this circumstance often when your drawing the best in the country. There are hounds out there that can give you a chance to win but there worth more than $800-$2500. This is not a $25 dollar entry fee hunt this is a hunt it takes a hound of a high caliber to put you in this circumstance in the first place. This seperates the Gr.nites for sale on the internet from the big time winners. Thats the difference you can make fun of me if you want.

Old Post 01-29-2015 05:51 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

And I'm not writting all of this to sound like I am a big shot or something. I understand everyone does not take coonhunting that serious. There are people out there that like to go to the big hunts all the time and it cost $$$$$ just to go. Just out there pleasure hunting there are alot of hounds that will tree as many coons as the big time winners just dropping alone. It all has to do on what they do in circumstances when rules and scorecards are put on them. If your just out to tree coons or hit the local hunt everynow and then its crazy to spend big $$$$$ on a hound if you don't really have it. Most do not care if a hound covers a dog after there recasted off a tree. But if your going to try and win $4000 at the prohunt that comes to town, if you want a chance to win, you better. Most don't pay attention when there dogs back on a slick. People that want to win world hunts know there hound needs to not be on that slick if they want a chance to win it. To many people make excusses for there hounds and its no different than people with there kids ; they just think they can do no wrong. Go to 5 or 6 prohunts and you will see there all just dogs but dogs like full throttle jigs, wipeout jesse jane, hardrock, wipeout moose, and so on would grow fleas, mate with ther mother or dad, smelled really bad when they were wet, did not understand mathmatics, but there was something that seperated them from dogs for sale on the internet.

Old Post 01-29-2015 06:27 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: big money dogs

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
You your in the final cast of a hunt and a $27000 truck is on the line, $4000 at a prohunt, a $40,000 world hunt in other words alot is on the line. You have just pulled your hound off a tree with 20 minitues left in the cast. There is a coon on the ground 3/4 of a mile away but a hound is split 100 yards from ya, another is split behind you at 600 yards another hound is trailing 400 yards in another direction. You have got to tree a coon for a chance to win and you will be put in this circumstance often when your drawing the best in the country. There are hounds out there that can give you a chance to win but there worth more than $800-$2500. This is not a $25 dollar entry fee hunt this is a hunt it takes a hound of a high caliber to put you in this circumstance in the first place. This seperates the Gr.nites for sale on the internet from the big time winners. Thats the difference you can make fun of me if you want.

What you said is very true. Those qualities are what separates the $1000-$4000 dogs from the $5000+ hounds. The hound your speaking of is not for the average coon hunter. I personally am just a average coon hunter. I pleasure hunt several nights a week, hunt a few big hunts when possible, and run the smaller ones. Myself and a lot of others are not looking to spend that type of money on a hound, yet we still want a solid hound without breaking the bank. I personally think hound prices are a little extreme. For example not to long ago I went and tried a 20 month old male. The guy told me just enough about him to get me interested. So I got the $1200 he was asking for the dog, and drove about 50 minutes to check him out. Long story short this dog wouldn't hunt by himself, truthfully he didn't hunt very good at all, never split treed like he supposedly does, and out of the 4 tree's we made, he didn't tree a bit until he tied him at the tree and started petting him. After the hunt the guy says "Like I said he's just a started pup, but he's bred real well, and got a lot of potential!" I'm sure that sort of thing happens a lot but how could anyone ask $1200 for something like that? It so happened that the dog I tried was out of a SO CALLED TOP STUD DOG, which is great but that shouldn't make the worth/price of the dog double or even triple. I think pedigree's, title's, and pretty pictures in the magazines, etc. are the reason for a lot of it. Hounds are a hunting breed, we buy them, well I and I'm sure a lot of others buy them for what they can do and how well they can do it!

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 01-29-2015 09:34 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carter
Banned

Re: Re: big money dogs

quote:
Why are all of these dogs split treed like this? What happened to the hounds that struck and treed together thus showing you who had the best dog? People blow these get by themselves dogs out of proportion and they don't impress me one bit. They are other things used to measure a coon dog and it sure ain't a Pro hunt.

Old Post 01-29-2015 11:55 AM
carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carter Click here to Send carter a Private Message Click Here to Email carter Find more posts by carter Add carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
And I'm not writting all of this to sound like I am a big shot or something. I understand everyone does not take coonhunting that serious. There are people out there that like to go to the big hunts all the time and it cost $$$$$ just to go. Just out there pleasure hunting there are alot of hounds that will tree as many coons as the big time winners just dropping alone. It all has to do on what they do in circumstances when rules and scorecards are put on them. If your just out to tree coons or hit the local hunt everynow and then its crazy to spend big $$$$$ on a hound if you don't really have it. Most do not care if a hound covers a dog after there recasted off a tree. But if your going to try and win $4000 at the prohunt that comes to town, if you want a chance to win, you better. Most don't pay attention when there dogs back on a slick. People that want to win world hunts know there hound needs to not be on that slick if they want a chance to win it. To many people make excusses for there hounds and its no different than people with there kids ; they just think they can do no wrong. Go to 5 or 6 prohunts and you will see there all just dogs but dogs like full throttle jigs, wipeout jesse jane, hardrock, wipeout moose, and so on would grow fleas, mate with ther mother or dad, smelled really bad when they were wet, did not understand mathmatics, but there was something that seperated them from dogs for sale on the internet.

Very good post.

Old Post 01-29-2015 01:56 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: big money dogs

quote:
Originally posted by carter
Why are all of these dogs split treed like this? What happened to the hounds that struck and treed together thus showing you who had the best dog? People blow these get by themselves dogs out of proportion and they don't impress me one bit. They are other things used to measure a coon dog and it sure ain't a Pro hunt.
simple.... Handlers got tired of a calling competition on every tree...

Old Post 01-29-2015 02:40 PM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fred Harroun
UKC Forum Member

well said Carter

NPHA
APA

Old Post 01-29-2015 02:41 PM
Fred Harroun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fred Harroun Click here to Send Fred Harroun a Private Message Click Here to Email Fred Harroun Find more posts by Fred Harroun Add Fred Harroun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

quote:
say your dog has three long locates coming treed, other handlers will also know this and tree there piece on half a peep..... Say your winning the cast with 3 other dogs 25 to 50 points behind you time winding down in hunt, are the other handlers going to get the tree call out before you or are you going to be so worried about getting out called that you make a mis-call, danged if you do danged if you don't.... Say dogs are deep and all you here is a roar of dogs, a me too handlers dream because wether his dog is there or not it will be once you get there.... I could go on for days on why having dogs together all the time is a disadvantage to the coon tree'r

Old Post 01-29-2015 03:05 PM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RRILEY
UKC Forum Member

The original topic of the post is what makes a big obey dog worth that money ...

Nick, you are spot on and hit the nail on the head.

Carter, no disrespect but your statement was spoken like a true diehard ukc hunter. Most will agree that treeing coons in a pack all night proves nothing more times than not. And the times it would prove something it was prob an independent dog not worrying about the rest of the cast and treeing coon after coon while the rest of the cast me too'd all night.

Old Post 01-29-2015 03:14 PM
RRILEY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRILEY Click here to Send RRILEY a Private Message Click Here to Email RRILEY Find more posts by RRILEY Add RRILEY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

The packers have 4:59 to cover for 75 on tree. That is hilarious. Dont hear ukc folk hollering about it though your right. This post should probably be on pro hound. Aint but probably 2 ukc dogs ever brought over $6000. So they really dont know what yall are talking about here

Old Post 01-29-2015 04:00 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

quote:

You ask why.. because it only takes one dog to tree a coon and the rest of the pack is worthless, when you see dogs pack its because there is only one coondog in the bunch.

Old Post 01-29-2015 04:00 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

quote:

how many Pro. hunts or World hunts have you won?

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 01-29-2015 04:29 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buck brush
how many Pro. hunts or World hunts have you won?

Well last year my hound was taken to 5 prohunts. Made the simis4 of them. Made final cast 2 times. We have put her in 5 cast this month and won about 2 grand. I will say in a year of running her about 10 grand in earnings only took one 2nd tree to help her win a cast. Little ticked up dog named dot. Never been to a world hunt. I'm not bragging you just asked.

Old Post 01-29-2015 05:01 PM