UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Getting Picky
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Getting Picky

I look at a lot of dogs on Facebook treeing and I love to watch the videos of pups of all ages treeing. Lot of dogs barking up a tree but I can't help but be critical and please forgive me.

First they all sound about alike. I don't care what breed it is they sound like your basic dog barking up a tree. Now I didn't hear them give a locate so there might be something there I am missing. But from the chop on the tree, most would be hard to call. That is part of the game, getting one you can honestly call for what they are doing.

Second thing and ones that I don't like to see is all the coon hung just over a young dogs head and them jumping up and down for it. I see that as training something you don't want in a hound. Then I look at a bunch of old dogs treeing and they are jumping up and down also.

Trust me. My dogs don't suit me so I can't expect yours to, but for pete sakes I don't have any jumping jacks for tree dogs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2017 07:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Estes
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, How would you suggest breaking a dog from "Jackiing the tree" as one would describe? Tie them back???

*Akc Supreme GrNiteCH (National Black
Gold Leader), Ukc NiteCh Ging's Stylish
Cane
*Ging's Stylish Samsonite (Rat Attack)
*Flatrock River Ridge (Big Money x Buck Creek&Tequila Sunrise)
"A Man's Ego Is A Heavy Burden For A Hound To Carry"
*Owner@ Flatrock River Coonhounds*

Old Post 02-22-2017 08:03 PM
Cory Estes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Estes Click here to Send Cory Estes a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Estes Find more posts by Cory Estes Add Cory Estes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have heard of several different methods but my I haven't ever needed to try any so I don't know if they work or not. My best advice is don't to anything when they are young to encourage it. Yes we all mess with a pup and they all jump around but do it only once or twice and them move them on to the real thing.

Old Post 02-22-2017 08:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Estes
UKC Forum Member

Both of mine do it. Only way ive found to prevent it is to tie them back. having said that my 3.5 year old will not tree as well tied back.

*Akc Supreme GrNiteCH (National Black
Gold Leader), Ukc NiteCh Ging's Stylish
Cane
*Ging's Stylish Samsonite (Rat Attack)
*Flatrock River Ridge (Big Money x Buck Creek&Tequila Sunrise)
"A Man's Ego Is A Heavy Burden For A Hound To Carry"
*Owner@ Flatrock River Coonhounds*

Old Post 02-22-2017 08:16 PM
Cory Estes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Estes Click here to Send Cory Estes a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Estes Find more posts by Cory Estes Add Cory Estes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I don't do any hang up coons or hides ect.. I've had a few that jump at trees, atleast 2 of them never did it until I started hunting them in the heat of the summer.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 02-22-2017 08:50 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

They should all tree like this
http://vid205.photobucket.com/album...er/100_0320.mp4

Old Post 02-22-2017 08:53 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Jaw thats nice.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:05 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jawscardodger
They should all tree like this
http://vid205.photobucket.com/album...er/100_0320.mp4

Thats is nice, but if they all tree like that where would there be room for the other three on that tree? Thats not pointed at your dog I'm just making a point. They should tree where they can without causing problems.

Bruce you should come this way on vacation some day. I got one you can pick out because he is about all you will hear!

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:15 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey it is probably more about my hearing than anything else. It is just so many dogs sound alike to me anymore that it is hard to pick them out. Then I decided to check out Facebook and just see what all these dogs I see treeing sounded like and most sound alike with many of them jumping around.

Back in the late 70's I had one that had a tenor bawl/chop on track and chop on tree. Down in S. FL you were always in water and even walking you could pick him out and get him treed in a hunt. I have one now that sounds close to how my old dog sounded and that is probably what I like best about him is his mouth. I am fully aware the next guy might think he sounds awful but I can hear him and I like him lol.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-22-2017 at 09:35 PM

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:31 PM
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

They can tree close together as long as there not mean. A pic for you.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:35 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Bruce Pm me your cell, I'll send you a recording.

Home Of:

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:43 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is my male and I can hear him. He doesn't move around on the tree much.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...zps3bd9etwa.mp4

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:49 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jawscardodger
They can tree close together as long as there not mean. A pic for you.

Nice pic. I think Joey is referring to drawing a few random dogs in a Nite hunt. Never know what your going to hunt with and if you have a belly rubbing tree dog only a matter of time until you have a problem.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:49 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I do know what you mean Bruce. I have been frustrated looking for a dog I really like for a long time. I got one that turned 2 a few months ago. I just started sticking him in some hunts, 2 ukc first has his supper stakes money won. Has a mouth like I have never heard, good looking well mannered, most accurate dog I have ever seen, big hunting dog, built right. I've been looking for him for 30 years. Might be ruined after this one.

Home Of:

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:50 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Glad you found what your liking Joey. I spectated on a cast Saturday night. One of the dogs in the cast was another one of mine. They struck hot and all sounded alike to me and they got deep and split treed maybe 25 yards apart and they still sounded alike. No way I could honestly pick out any one of them dogs to strike or tree. There was an english male that does sound pretty good with deeper mouth and my female in the cast kinda gives short bawls on track. Thing is they all blended together for me that night.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Hoosier, I am more spooky about the jumper causing trouble than I am the dog in one spot.

Old Post 02-22-2017 09:59 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

The one I have has a heavy coarse loud chop and about every 30 seconds comes out with the Lipper squall thats loud and long. I treed him at the last ukc hunt I had him while we were standing at a tree with three dogs barking. Everyone could hear him fine. When we started that way he was .75 from us. You can hear this dude when you cant hear the rest.

Home Of:

Old Post 02-22-2017 10:01 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Hoosier, I am more spooky about the jumper causing trouble than I am the dog in one spot.

I have seen both cause problems. Some (not all) of those dogs that stand in one spot and do not move and do not plan on being moved either. I want one that backs up about 5 feet and sets on its butt.

Home Of:

Old Post 02-22-2017 10:03 PM
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

The jumper doesn't bother me at all but the one that stands in one spot does. I have seen to many of them that do not want to be moved off that spot.

Old Post 02-23-2017 12:12 AM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tico
UKC Forum Member

jacking

You can't really blame one for not wanting to move or be moved. I wouldn't want to either if I worked my hind end off to find that sucker... .

JUST WATCH WHAT'S NEXT!!!!!!!!

Old Post 02-23-2017 12:52 AM
Tico is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tico Click here to Send Tico a Private Message Click Here to Email Tico Find more posts by Tico Add Tico to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I don't care for one that jacks the tree non stop. With that said my female jacks every now and then. But if she gets on a tree with a mean dog she backs up.

And for picking her out in a cast is no problem. She has a very unique mouth. It's a squally, screechy bawl and chop on track. And on tree she's a triple chop mouth, with a big long bawl thrown in. I've also been told there's no way you can mistake her for another dog.

Old Post 02-23-2017 12:50 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

the tree jacker doesn't bother me either. i like that much better than one that thinks he owns his spot.
to often the tree jacker takes the blame for a mean classy tree dog that has no class.

Old Post 02-23-2017 02:14 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

Food for thought

Bruce, do you think a dog that jumps at a tree has a stronger ability to "have" the coon as opposed to those who do not jump? IE: a dog that jumps is less likely to get beat by a coon that taps a few trees before going up...

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 02-24-2017 12:41 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Bruce. I don't know if you still have that video of dot treed but she's about as stylish as they come but I lost that video. So if you have it still post it if you can.

Old Post 02-24-2017 03:08 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

two that I have heard on fb that are nice and have different type mouths one is burdens brake box, other is kevin cable just got a double bone collector pup called nothing but tough I would say his mouth wont blend.

Old Post 02-24-2017 04:12 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote