UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Getting dog to stay on the tree
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Getting dog to stay on the tree

Went out last night and cut my hound for a short hunt. She went about 150 yards and struck and pushed it about 300 yards, let out a long bawl, and rolled over to a steady chop. Knew she was treed so I began making my way to her. I get about 150 yards from her (no lights) and she comes off the tree and starts running around again. When i get close to her I can hear her nose going to work. I turned my light on and she was going around checking trees. I walked towards where she was treeing and she went back to it after checking a couple more trees and went to hammering again. Shined the tree and there sat a 15lb boar. petted her up real well and shot it out to her. She isn't even 2 yet so I'm wondering if she's still lacking confidence in herself. Any suggestions on getting her to stick?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2017 01:39 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Estes
UKC Forum Member

Im no guru at training pups. im working on my first one now, but it sounds like you got the right idea. it sounds like she is checking herself (which I hear is good thing). My money pup does this also.

*Akc Supreme GrNiteCH (National Black
Gold Leader), Ukc NiteCh Ging's Stylish
Cane
*Ging's Stylish Samsonite (Rat Attack)
*Flatrock River Ridge (Big Money x Buck Creek&Tequila Sunrise)
"A Man's Ego Is A Heavy Burden For A Hound To Carry"
*Owner@ Flatrock River Coonhounds*

Old Post 02-23-2017 01:50 PM
Cory Estes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Estes Click here to Send Cory Estes a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Estes Find more posts by Cory Estes Add Cory Estes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Estes
UKC Forum Member

Only thing I would think is to get to her as fast as you can and tied her back at the tree.

Cane

Old Post 02-23-2017 01:52 PM
Cory Estes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Estes Click here to Send Cory Estes a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Estes Find more posts by Cory Estes Add Cory Estes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Usually once she goes back the second time then she locks down. I just want her to be confident in herself and stay locked. Think she just needs woods time to get it figured it out?

Old Post 02-23-2017 03:21 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Estes
UKC Forum Member

I would have to say yes. She just needs to get in some hot coon that way she builds confidence. Seems like most answers to hound questions these days are just getting them in the woods. I spend lots of time researching things but it just seems like getting them wooded is the only way to find out.

Cane

Old Post 02-23-2017 05:25 PM
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Took her tonight and she ran track, treed, then would come off and go back to it and bark some more, then come off again. Never stayed on it steady. She's real accurate but I'm beginning to wonder if she's got the tree in her. Any suggestions?

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:47 AM
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Why do you go to her before she is right? Especially if what you are doing isn't working. I'd let her get settled right then ease in, if she comes off when you aregoing to her grab her, switch her and drag her back to her tree. tie her up and just let her tree for awhile. An e collar works wonders but you better do some ground work so she doesnt get confused.

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:57 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote