UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ivomec
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tim Pinney
UKC Forum Member

Ivomec

A lot of vets treat heartworms with ivomec. It won't kill the adult worms but it kills the microflaria. The adult heartworms lifespan is about two years so they die of old age. Imo some vets scare people on ivomec killing a heartworms positive dog to get your money. It's way better then doing nothing and way less likely to kill your dog then immicide shots. This is what a non money hungry vet told me just relaying the message

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-15-2018 03:36 PM
Tim Pinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Pinney Click here to Send Tim Pinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Pinney Find more posts by Tim Pinney Add Tim Pinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ivomec

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Pinney
A lot of vets treat heartworms with ivomec. It won't kill the adult worms but it kills the microflaria. The adult heartworms lifespan is about two years so they die of old age. Imo some vets scare people on ivomec killing a heartworms positive dog to get your money. It's way better then doing nothing and way less likely to kill your dog then immicide shots. This is what a non money hungry vet told me just relaying the message

That is exactly how hartworms have become immune to ivomec. In the Mississippi river valley Ivomec does nothing to prevent hartworms anymore. Also in the 2 years that you are waiting for the adults to die they are eating holes in the hart of your dog creating damage. I'm not comfortable with letting that happen.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-15-2018 03:49 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

So what are the vets saying we should be using for heartworm prevention now.

Old Post 04-15-2018 06:20 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My guess for the ivomec in losing its effectiveness has more to do with the small amount of ivomec given for the microfilaria monthly preventative...

Old Post 04-15-2018 06:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
My guess for the ivomec in losing its effectiveness has more to do with the small amount of ivomec given for the microfilaria monthly preventative...

Correct but its the fact that it was being given to dogs with adult worms not knowing they were infected. Overtime those worms started producing microfilaria with resistance. It will happen with other products down the road as they are used more often also.

Ron, anything thats recommended for Hartworms that doesn't use ivomectin as the active ingredient.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-15-2018 06:58 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Thank you

Old Post 04-15-2018 08:51 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I know we gave a heartworm positive dog a small dose of ivomec every two weeks for 9 months and got a negative test back when we had him rechecked.

Old Post 04-17-2018 12:15 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Short335
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
I know we gave a heartworm positive dog a small dose of ivomec every two weeks for 9 months and got a negative test back when we had him rechecked.

How many CC did you give the dog every two weeks?

Old Post 04-17-2018 01:47 AM
Short335 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Short335 Click here to Send Short335 a Private Message Click Here to Email Short335 Find more posts by Short335 Add Short335 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

77 pound dog less than 1/10th of a CC. I mixed 1 CC of ivomec with 9 CC’s of Polyglycol and then gave him 8/10th of a CC of that mixture. Vet said that wasn’t enough Ivomec to keep a dog from getting heartworms. Didn’t even argue with him and tell him that it not only had done that but also got rid of the adult worms.

Old Post 04-17-2018 03:16 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

I give interceptor plus treats every worm imaginable. The way I look at it is if I take care of my dogs, they’ll take care of me. The extra cost is worth it.

Old Post 04-17-2018 03:29 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

ivermec

Give 1 tenth of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

Old Post 04-17-2018 07:31 AM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by treedog69
Give 1 tenth of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

X2!

This is what a vet told me to give back when Ivomec first came out. I also inject under the skin. I have never given it in the mouth. If you are using cattle or swine ivomectin, it is prescribed to be given in a shot. Why make your dog's digestive system have to deal with drugs that are prescribed to be given by injection? I have been using this method for 35 years or so. I have never had a dog test positive for heartworms.

You can get a lot of different opinions on the subject. To each his own.

Old Post 04-17-2018 01:31 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by hat creek mac
X2!

This is what a vet told me to give back when Ivomec first came out. I also inject under the skin. I have never given it in the mouth. If you are using cattle or swine ivomectin, it is prescribed to be given in a shot. Why make your dog's digestive system have to deal with drugs that are prescribed to be given by injection? I have been using this method for 35 years or so. I have never had a dog test positive for heartworms.

You can get a lot of different opinions on the subject. To each his own.

Mac you do what you want but like I said before, it is a proven fact it has stopped working. It had worked for us for over 30 years. Then me and my partner had 3 pop positive with hartworms. They have become resistant to it all over the Mississippi river valley. It will just be a matter of time before you have a problem.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-17-2018 03:28 PM
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Mac you do what you want but like I said before, it is a proven fact it has stopped working. It had worked for us for over 30 years. Then me and my partner had 3 pop positive with hartworms. They have become resistant to it all over the Mississippi river valley. It will just be a matter of time before you have a problem.

What are you using now?

Old Post 04-17-2018 04:03 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: ivermec

quote:
What are you using now?

I get my hounds a prohart 6 shot. It winds up costing me 11.60 a month and I only have to worry about it twice a year. I give my beagles a sentinel pill. For my beagles size its $4 a month but I have to give it every month.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-17-2018 05:20 PM
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

You could buy a bottle of Cydectin injectable and it has the same active ingredient as the prohart 6 shot (moxidectin) Maybe a vet could give us the correct dosage? Sure would be a lot less expensive...

Old Post 04-17-2018 07:20 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You could buy a bottle of Cydectin injectable and it has the same active ingredient as the prohart 6 shot (moxidectin) Maybe a vet could give us the correct dosage? Sure would be a lot less expensive...

What do they run? and is there anything in it that wouldnt be good for a dog? My biggest reason for using the shot is I only have to do it twice a year. It would also be cheaper for me to use the same thing as I do for the beagles, I do not keep but a couple of dogs so its to bad.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-17-2018 07:43 PM
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I live in the ms delta been Hunting dogs all my life they have been on ivermec since day one and have yet to have a dog test positive for heart worms just sayin maybe I'm lucky

Old Post 04-17-2018 07:53 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by delta nightlife
I live in the ms delta been Hunting dogs all my life they have been on ivermec since day one and have yet to have a dog test positive for heart worms just sayin maybe I'm lucky

Dont believe me, talk to a vet because its coming. It was cheap and worked great for years, but just like a lot of other things they are becoming resistant to it. There are dogs all over the place around here that are testing positive for hartworms that have always been on Ivomec.

Home Of:

Old Post 04-17-2018 08:45 PM
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Dont believe me, talk to a vet because its coming. It was cheap and worked great for years, but just like a lot of other things they are becoming resistant to it. There are dogs all over the place around here that are testing positive for hartworms that have always been on Ivomec.

This may well be correct as I have a dog (Indiana) that's been on ivermectin his whole life recently test positive for heart worms.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 04-17-2018 09:11 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Latta
New UKC Forum Member

We were having resistance to Ivomec 10 years ago in our cattle herds. Also had a hound come up positive a few years ago. The vet that we work with suggested Cydectin and that we inject our hounds instead of giving it orally. No more problems and no side effects on the dogs either been doing this for about 6 years.

Old Post 04-17-2018 09:37 PM
Todd Latta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Latta Click here to Send Todd Latta a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Latta Find more posts by Todd Latta Add Todd Latta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Just about every thing you want to know:

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Safe-He...nt-for-Your-Dog

http://www.thedogplace.org/parasite..._lanting-09.asp

https://www.abaxis.com/sites/defaul...e%20Testing.pdf

https://www.petcoach.co/article/hea...ention-in-dogs/

And there is a ivermectin resistant heart worm strain like Joey mentioned.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=28284

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/ca...ence-resistance

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 04-17-2018 at 10:04 PM

Old Post 04-17-2018 09:50 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Latta
We were having resistance to Ivomec 10 years ago in our cattle herds. Also had a hound come up positive a few years ago. The vet that we work with suggested Cydectin and that we inject our hounds instead of giving it orally. No more problems and no side effects on the dogs either been doing this for about 6 years.

I figured that would work! What dosage are you giving your dogs?

Old Post 04-17-2018 11:54 PM
Todd Latta
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
I figured that would work! What dosage are you giving your dogs?

Pups or smaller dogs .5 ml older or larger .75 to 1 ml

Old Post 04-18-2018 12:22 AM
Todd Latta is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Latta Click here to Send Todd Latta a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd Latta Find more posts by Todd Latta Add Todd Latta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

I'm guessing 1/10 ml per 10 pounds would work?

given once a month?

Old Post 04-18-2018 12:27 AM