UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Housedogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
barkeater
UKC Forum Member

Housedogs

How many of you keep your hunting dogs as housedogs. If so do you have any problems with them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-06-2018 04:15 PM
barkeater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barkeater Click here to Send barkeater a Private Message Click Here to Email barkeater Find more posts by barkeater Add barkeater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

My old Grand nite female has spent her life in & out of the house. And now that I live right in town I keep all my dogs inside.
I see 2 negative things by keeping them inside, one being they are not climatized for the weather outside since they are kept inside where the tempature is warmer then outside or in some areas cooler and the second thing is they become more then just a hunting dog so for some if they don’t work out they are too much of a pet to part with.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 04-06-2018 05:32 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kimber2378
UKC Forum Member

My dog as well as my brothers dog are both house dogs. We just pleasure hunt but they do well for what we are looking for out of them. They love to hunt and are really great pets at home. Also they are good watch dogs when they aren't completely knocked out. Only bad thing is they can be couch/ bed hogs which my girlfriend doesn't overly appreciate. I just wait till she isn't home and let him on the couch anyways..... What she can't prove only gets me in so much trouble.

Dave

Old Post 04-07-2018 05:15 AM
Kimber2378 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kimber2378 Click here to Send Kimber2378 a Private Message Find more posts by Kimber2378 Add Kimber2378 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barkeater
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Recently picked up a plott pup. I didn't think it would hurt anything. Actually thought it may improve handling and intelligence. Thanks again.

Old Post 04-07-2018 02:23 PM
barkeater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barkeater Click here to Send barkeater a Private Message Click Here to Email barkeater Find more posts by barkeater Add barkeater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rooster731
UKC Forum Member

Im not getting attached to a hunting dog enough to bring it in. It could be a world champion but at some point im gonna get tired of looking at and hunting the same dog. My question is if you hunt 7 nights a week do you give the dog a bath every night. People can say what they want but a person who lives in a pet free home can walk into a home where a dog lives and smell it no matter how clean it is. I imagine a hunting dog would have to be worse.

Old Post 04-07-2018 02:38 PM
rooster731 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rooster731 Click here to Send rooster731 a Private Message Find more posts by rooster731 Add rooster731 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

Just me ,but idont like dogs in the house especially a big ole hound dog...but if that's what you like it probably want hurt their hunting ability...

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:39 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rooster731
Im not getting attached to a hunting dog enough to bring it in. It could be a world champion but at some point im gonna get tired of looking at and hunting the same dog. My question is if you hunt 7 nights a week do you give the dog a bath every night. People can say what they want but a person who lives in a pet free home can walk into a home where a dog lives and smell it no matter how clean it is. I imagine a hunting dog would have to be worse.

I have seen people who let there dogs in dirty or not, I’m not that type of person so with mine they either have to be bathed every nite they come home or stay crated in the porch

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 04-07-2018 06:43 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I keep my plot hound and kemmer cur indoors. They sleep with us and I love it. The only problem is when one or both wallow in crap and run through muck. When that happens I have to bath them before they can run loose in the house. Some times that can be at midnight. Most of the time they are ok. Running through the brush and grass actually cleans them. If visitors smell dogs, it's because I have dogs. It's no secret and I don't care.

Old Post 04-08-2018 03:03 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yrphunter
UKC Forum Member

My old female has been in the house since day one and hasn’t effected her hunt at all, if any made her handle like a dream. She has a thing about rolling in crap sometimes, those nights she either gets a bath or sleeps in the laundry room until I can get her a bath. My squirrel dog stays in most of the time also as well as a red heeler. My other 2 hounds are outside during the day and bring them in to a crate at night in the laundry room to curb any nuisance barking. As far as dog smell goes I like my dogs more than most any person, if they don’t like the smell they don’t have to come over.

PR Dry Branch's Thunder Braley
PR Dry Branch's foggy mtn daisy

Never forgotten-
PR Dutch Hollars Mtn Cry Diamond

Old Post 04-08-2018 04:14 PM
yrphunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yrphunter Click here to Send yrphunter a Private Message Click Here to Email yrphunter Find more posts by yrphunter Add yrphunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We keep ours in. I have 4 dog towels, if they get dirty or muddy, if we can't brush it off, they get baths. Ruby got into a skunk once, it made for a later then usual night, but thankful it happened here because they ride in crates in the car or Jeep when we go out hunting.
Worse thing about Ruby being in is if u hunt a couple of nights in a row, when she sees it's dark outside, she knows it's time to go and willl bark and beg to go out.

Old Post 04-08-2018 05:02 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barkeater
UKC Forum Member

So most of the responses have to do with cleanliness. No one posted that it affected the dogs hunting ability in a negative way. Good to be reassured. Mine will be penned after hunting but brought in during our cold winter months. He is a pup right now. So inside dog until then.

Old Post 04-08-2018 06:55 PM
Emily
UKC Forum Member

All of mine have lived indoors and slept wherever they wanted, usually in the bed with my husband and me. They know who hunts them, but they are spoiled pets in the house and eat table scraps and do the prewash on the dishes before they go in the dishwasher. But when my hounds see the light and the boots and the tracking collar come out, they want to hunt and know how to make me feel guilty if one gets left behind.

I don't insist my hounds be particularly obedient, and they will steal human food if they think they can get away with it. Teaches you to put things away. Most hounds can climb on most any counter if no one is supervising.

I have a large fenced yard, and I think they get more exercise running loose in it than they would if they are penned up. All of mine have been unusually fast at field trials, and I think that's why--its not like they were all genetically related. They go in and out whenever they want within reason.

Indoor hounds like to rearrange their bedding a lot. They spin around and move pillows and steal the blankets if you let them sleep in your bed. Helps to give them washable "nesting" material, like towels or old pillows to toss around so they don't rearrange the good stuff or leave you cold in the middle of the night.

They can get some habits that are inconvenient in competition dogs, but that can be curbed if that's what you want. Make sure they get used to a dog box and associate it with getting to hunt so they don't complain about having to ride in one. Make sure they know when they're hunting and when they're not so that they don't tree the Christmas roast smelling good in the oven for hours or bring that fresh killed squirrel from the yard into the bed or steal dirty laundry and bring it in for the dinner guests.. And remember that hounds are loud, so they may make noisy contributions to family conversations if you don't teach them not to.

Hounds learn to read you and you learn to read them if you're a decent houndsman. The more you are around each other, the better you understand each other. Even sitting on the couch with the old hound asleep next to me, its fun to hear the ghost of his dying bawl locate as he's dreaming. You'd never hear that if he was in the kennel.

Old Post 04-09-2018 12:47 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coonhunter03
UKC Forum Member

My buddy keeps his coon dog in side and only wipes him down if he has mood/blood on him. As far as it others can smell his dog Like he said it ain’t your house don’t like it leave.

Old Post 04-09-2018 01:14 AM
Coonhunter03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coonhunter03 Click here to Send Coonhunter03 a Private Message Find more posts by Coonhunter03 Add Coonhunter03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I like all that Emily posted. My plott will bark when she wants a treat. That's ok unless she's setting right next to me and then it makes my ears ring. She has only an outside voice.

Old Post 04-09-2018 03:12 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I like all that Emily posted. My plott will bark when she wants a treat. That's ok unless she's setting right next to me and then it makes my ears ring. She has only an outside voice.

Old Post 04-09-2018 03:12 AM