UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Just Curious About "opinions"
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

R Lambert

joey is throwing big words around, this old country boy had to look it up and still wonder when I would use it.
DEDUCTIVE REASONING. WHEW

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:21 AM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

WELL NOW

Richard Lambert try this on for size. With my Deductive Reasoning I take your statement to mean she has too much brains also. Darn bad weather got me cooped up way to long.
BUT hold on that could be your opinion ore is that a fact if it is a fact what are you basing it on.

Last edited by H. L. Meyer on 01-14-2018 at 02:28 AM

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:25 AM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Meyer, she will work a bad track that other dogs won't fool with. It will take her a long time and she will trail a long ways but she will usually put a coon or a den at the end of it. I have used deductive reasoning to form my opinion that she has an excellent nose. But sometimes she can only tree one or two coons in a hunt. And she also cold trails a lot of them to their den. So using deductive reasoning, she has too good of a nose for a big hunt winning comp dog.

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:08 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I doubt you had to look anything up Mr. H.L. Richard on the other hand.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:16 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

When you have one that trails and trails and then comes back because it can't find a tree it went up there is probably a good reason it's probably not a coon

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:16 AM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Why does a dog stay Treed

After reading all these different reasons why dogs tree or don't tree it is easy to see why our dogs don't reproduce. When you cross two solid tree dogs that stay treed for different reasons you have created a hybrid that wont reproduce in most cases.
My opinion;
*Dogs stay treed because they know they have the game cornered and want it
*Dogs stay treed because they are frustrated
*Dogs stay treed because they are afraid to leave!
*Dogs stay treed because they know they will be rewarded by the hunter either with praise or a furburger
*Dogs stay treed because they saw the game run up the tree and it kicked bark in their face and they have trailed and treed five other tracks to completion previously, but they didn't see them run up the tree and they are tired, frustrated and couldn't locate the game off of body scent if it urinated on them.
Charlie Tant developed a very good line of top bobcat dogs from the Buzzard Bait line of coyote dogs and he believed that any hound that had enough desire to kill their game would stay treed. Ken Risley

Old Post 01-14-2018 07:43 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Meyer, I hope you don't start anymore trouble today. You started enough yesterday. lol

By the way your starting to hurt my feelings. When you call the store Corey is the only one you want to talk to. If work is involved then Corey is your man. But it would be nice for you to say hello once in a while. LOL I answered the phone the other day and the first thing you said "Is Corey There" about the time I transferred you, your voice registered in my head, but it was too late. You were already on the line with Corey.

Anyway. God Bless and take care!

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:11 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How much does "training" influence a dogs desire to tree? I have "observed" some dogs that just go out and start treeing after the first time or two that you take them hunting. Now using my "deductive reasoning", I would conclude that the treeing instinct was bred into them. But I have "observed" other dogs that had to be hunted many times and praised/petted or rewarded before they would lock down and tree. Now using my "deductive reasoning" skills, I would conclude that these dogs were trained to tree.

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:43 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Why dogs tree

I think Mike stayed treed last night because it was -1'F and he was cold and wanted to go home.

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:59 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So, if your dog runs a bad track and tries his hardest to tree a coon and hits up on several trees but just can't make up his mind which one the coon is in would you rather he:

1. Just quit and go on.
2. Keep trying
3. Pick his best shot and sit down and tree.

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:45 PM
cole run
UKC Forum Member

None of the above

I want that dog that can move a bad track not stand on its head all night trying to figure it out and have the meat when it trees . If it is so cold nosed and doesn't have the brains and drive to go with that it won't stay here. What good is it sitting there all night listening to a dog cold trail and maybe seeing 1 coon when the other dogs are treeing coon all around it . Brains and heart period

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:03 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We all "want" that perfect dog.

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:19 PM
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
So, if your dog runs a bad track and tries his hardest to tree a coon and hits up on several trees but just can't make up his mind which one the coon is in would you rather he:

1. Just quit and go on.
2. Keep trying

I would say #2 up to a point. Eventually #1 if the dog just can't get it figured out but I don't ever want #3

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:33 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

MY LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT

In the training of dogs there are two things that ALL phases of trainers across the dog world agree on and they are these two things period. A dog is a creature of HABIT and are trained by REPETITION. Now that is factual. I could go on and on but think about this. Say you think about this and agree then EVERY TIME you praise your dog at the tree you are training him to TREE. good or bad you are training him.
On to another statement why does a dog tree ? well that is as broad as it is wide. But there are several things that we need to remember do yawl remember when there were just a FEW Walker dogs that would tree? most were fox dogs deer dogs or what ever known as running walkers if you do then maybe U know the rest of the story if you don't then you may not be from the OLD SCHOOL and may never won't to admit what went wrong.
In closing I my last years of Law Enforcement I was luck enough to attend some of the most informative dog seminars in the country presented by the most respected trainer from across the world after these experiences it changed my thought pattern about the training process of coon dogs. So yes i may have a little different thought process than some, but the fact is this I DO LOVE COON HUNTING WITH A GOOD COON DOG. It helps a little if it is a B&T though

Last edited by H. L. Meyer on 01-14-2018 at 05:05 PM

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:52 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:

1. Just quit and go on.
2. Keep trying

I want a little bit of all three but not a lot of any of them lol. If ones gettin treed too much I can send them on. If they need confidence to tree more I can help with that too. If they're spending too much time messing with tracks that don't pan out, I'll pull them out of those situations and try to get them in better situations. I prefer young dogs that make a decision and stick to it. I can usually train around that if I'm consistent about it. Now obviously they're not gonna tree em all. If they're "reasonably sure" it's there give me your best guess and get on it. If they're "reasonably sure" it's not there they best get moving.

Old Post 01-14-2018 06:18 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:

1. Just quit and go on.
2. Keep trying

i like what i call a tree sniffer . shuts up for the most part and checks every tree in the area till he finds the one with the coon sitting in it locates and blows the top out .

Old Post 01-15-2018 02:18 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote