UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > rule ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I wish one of the KC's would embrace the technology and make an app for scoring night hunts.... add a feature so anyone with the app can follow in real time. That'd be cool.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-07-2018 05:55 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Well I'm almost 1000 years old and I hunted 980 years without an Alpha. But it sure is handy. I would hate to have to give it up.

Old Post 04-07-2018 07:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KAP71
Banned

Did i mention anything about pleasure hunting and not using a Garmin? My opinions are during hunting time on a competition hunt.

Ntch backwater bone saw. Ntch hills blue captain. Psychos Suzie.

Last edited by KAP71 on 04-08-2018 at 02:54 AM

Old Post 04-08-2018 02:51 AM
KAP71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KAP71 Click here to Send KAP71 a Private Message Find more posts by KAP71 Add KAP71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I've not real familiar with the night hunts... but I've always kinda wondered why instead of prohibiting what hunters can or can't do with e-collars.... why not require them to wear a tracking collar which are linked to hand held only the judge holds. Would seem to make judging a lot easier as far as people claiming a dog opening is theirs... if a judge could look and see Dog A is 300 yards to the east and handler A is claiming the dog to the west opening is his???? At least for major events with non hunting judges I'd think that'd work great.

Old Post 04-08-2018 02:44 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think there we are in the middle of the road at this time with Electronic collars. Lets think out of the box. Why because the way it is today it is not fair for everyone. Judges can use them to an advantage over the rest of the cast. As they have the biggest influence on which way the cast goes.

What if you could use them and the training buttons all you wanted. But the other side of the coin. The judge could also use them agains you. If your dog was stationary and treed and moved more that a specified distance. MINUS. If it was stationary and you zapped it and it moves. MINUS Dog tree a mile away and no one hears it. Tree it and go to it.

Just use them. The better trained dogs would win. Isn't that what we are trying to evaluate out there in the dark. The better trained hound.

Old Post 04-08-2018 02:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I think there we are in the middle of the road at this time with Electronic collars. Lets think out of the box. Why because the way it is today it is not fair for everyone. Judges can use them to an advantage over the rest of the cast. As they have the biggest influence on which way the cast goes.

What if you could use them and the training buttons all you wanted. But the other side of the coin. The judge could also use them agains you. If your dog was stationary and treed and moved more that a specified distance. MINUS. If it was stationary and you zapped it and it moves. MINUS Dog tree a mile away and no one hears it. Tree it and go to it.

Just use them. The better trained dogs would win. Isn't that what we are trying to evaluate out there in the dark. The better trained hound.

I see your point, but is it really better trained if it still needs the E collar to do what you want it to?

I thought the goal of the E collar was to get them to have the desired behavior even when they didn't have it on.

Old Post 04-08-2018 03:35 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You have a good point. Just mine are so easy to get back if the collar has a tone or those prongs are attached.

Hope things are going well up your way. Son sent video of light snow yesterday and 38* today on his side of TN this morning.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 04-08-2018 at 03:50 PM

Old Post 04-08-2018 03:46 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
You have a good point. Just mine are so easy to get back if the collar has a tone or those prongs are attached.

Hope things are going well up your way. Son sent video of light snow yesterday and 38* today on his side of TN this morning.

Yep this is Tennessee if you don't like the weather wait til tomorrow it will change LOL.

It is going good, working too hard not hunting near enough.

Old Post 04-08-2018 04:14 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

One thing I have learned is that cheaters are going to cheat regardless of the circumstances. I have no problem with the use of Garmins on a competition hunt. 90% of the times I saw cheating it was with the clock use by a judge or by those who can see coons in slick trees or not see coons in a tree that has the meat which neither has anything to do with a Garmin. The real problem today with competition hunting has nothing to do with electronics or collars the problem is simply morals and a character problem. Most hunters don't cheat in the hunts but their will always be those bad apples but if you watch those kind they are shady in everything they do in life. If your going to hunt in the hunts just have your dog prepared, know the rules, take your stopwatch and remember its just a coonhunt. Thats my advice to anyone who cares to hear it. If a man wants to cheat to win then so be it if he can lay down and sleep with that then thats between him and the Good Lord.

Old Post 04-08-2018 05:12 PM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Coots
One thing I have learned is that cheaters are going to cheat regardless of the circumstances. I have no problem with the use of Garmins on a competition hunt. 90% of the times I saw cheating it was with the clock use by a judge or by those who can see coons in slick trees or not see coons in a tree that has the meat which neither has anything to do with a Garmin. The real problem today with competition hunting has nothing to do with electronics or collars the problem is simply morals and a character problem. Most hunters don't cheat in the hunts but their will always be those bad apples but if you watch those kind they are shady in everything they do in life. If your going to hunt in the hunts just have your dog prepared, know the rules, take your stopwatch and remember its just a coonhunt. Thats my advice to anyone who cares to hear it. If a man wants to cheat to win then so be it if he can lay down and sleep with that then thats between him and the Good Lord.
very well said

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 04-09-2018 12:20 AM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

The biggest problem I've seen in hunts is not Garmins, cell phones or cheating it's grown men not wanting to take their minus when it is clearly due....

Old Post 04-09-2018 12:26 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote