UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Disappointed in the New Generation.
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric/Sam

See not ALL of the young guys can be judged alike, no more than ALL of the older hunters are alike. I grew up with some older hunters that knew nothing about what a COON DOG truly was, and some that SURE enough knew what a COON DOG WAS. I judge a man for what they are, young or old does not define the man, it's what's between his ears, just like a dog, some are way smarter than others. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2020 10:22 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
JMO
Nailor, and we all know his bloodline but never talked about because a few people point at a shiny object in the other direction, Nailor was Big, Loud, Good looking, Lazy, Slick treeing son of a gun, he even died under a slick tree, then comes Nocturnal Style, then comes Trackman an Superman an the rest is history Or what you guys been talking about. JMO.

Might be because he was out of a lipper female. I hunted a lot of lipper dogs that done as you speak before nailor was ever born.

And that’s a fact jack lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-13-2020 11:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
To heck with that. I like a dog to make a tree or 2 a hour by itself resulting in plus points. Stays out of trouble, and don’t fill up a score card with circles and slicks.

Same here as well. Last spring I hunted in a $KC double header. On the late round I won the cast with two trees plussed up. Another guy in my cast says “ wow your dog only made two trees and mine made 4 and you still beat me.” Yes because eyeballs twice is better than1 set of eyes 2 dens and 1 slick.

Old Post 02-13-2020 11:39 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerfan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
JMO
Nailor, and we all know his bloodline but never talked about because a few people point at a shiny object in the other direction, Nailor was Big, Loud, Good looking, Lazy, Slick treeing son of a gun, he even died under a slick tree, then comes Nocturnal Style, then comes Trackman an Superman an the rest is history Or what you guys been talking about. JMO.

I could not agree more.

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:26 AM
walkerfan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerfan Click here to Send walkerfan a Private Message Find more posts by walkerfan Add walkerfan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by walkerfan
I could not agree more.

And the same guys love rat and stylish Harry lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:41 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerfan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
And the same guys love rat and stylish Harry lol.

Tar

Why don't we start another friendly post Nailor vs. Rat and see what the coonhunting world thinks? We could start like this. Rank these two stud dogs by what they produced in these areas. Tree, track, hunting hustle, independence, accuracy, grand night and night champions and winners.

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:04 AM
walkerfan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerfan Click here to Send walkerfan a Private Message Find more posts by walkerfan Add walkerfan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I didn’t like either of them. But I wasent selling puppy’s I was getting paid to hunt them. But you can’t hardly find a dog to breed to that don’t have Harry , rat and lipper in them 4000 + pups can you wrap your mind around that ? If I could pick a dog that I could get a straw of seman off of it would be yadkin river Jeff.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:11 AM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I would love to have a straw off Finley River Chief. Could not afford it, but if we are going to wish might as well go big. Tar I agree with you on those dogs you was not a fan of. Was that politically correct. lmao

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:18 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Roy probly not lol. But they wanted to know where the crazy comes from so I told them lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:32 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Eric/Sam

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
See not ALL of the young guys can be judged alike, no more than ALL of the older hunters are alike. I grew up with some older hunters that knew nothing about what a COON DOG truly was, and some that SURE enough knew what a COON DOG WAS. I judge a man for what they are, young or old does not define the man, it's what's between his ears, just like a dog, some are way smarter than others. Dave

Amen to what you said...IMO there isn’t much difference in good to great dog men...young or old...the difference is experience...the younger ones might lack experience and maybe not...

The percentage ranges between poor to great are like anything else...average being the highest percentage in this range...I reckon it’s a law of nature...

That old saying...a star is born and not made...and the same is true when we say a child star is born and not made...

When we see child stars performing whether it is singing, playing an instrument or child movie star in a movie...it is amazing to us and we give thanks that were lucky enough to witness the scene...

It is the same with puppies and dogs and the same with children and grownups...

I work where I see young crew leaders, foremen, general foremen, superintendents, managers from many different contractor companies and I tend to analyze these leaders to see what traits they have that promoted them...usually work two or three months at a time with many of these and then again a year or so later...sometimes it is a family of brothers or relatives...

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:34 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

I've been around these hounds awhile and even trained one or 2 to do something more productive than pee on a fence post... My take on the "big motor" "440" thing was I could always hunt a.... excessive energy 🤔.. dog down, but there's limited remedy to amp a lazy dog up. If your turning them loose once a week or once a month that isn't a big factor, but if you're going to be in the woods with them 300-350+ nights a year, it's a huge one. Jmo.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 02-14-2020 08:13 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

I've been around these hounds awhile and even trained one or 2 to do something more productive than pee on a fence post... My take on the "big motor" "440" thing was I could always hunt a.... excessive energy 🤔.. dog down, but there's limited remedy to amp a lazy dog up. If your turning them loose once a week or once a month that isn't a big factor, but if you're going to be in the woods with them 300-350+ nights a year, it's a huge one. Jmo.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 02-14-2020 08:19 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I like mine wired 110 and tree every coon they get near.

110 runs almost everything in your house 24/7 how much power you want ?

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:03 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Barking

I will say a little about kennel manners, I’ve hunted red dogs for over 20 years. Over all those years the hounds I’ve had you would never know I had a hound at my place!
Very good kennels manners , no barking !

Last edited by rdmedders on 02-18-2020 at 08:57 PM

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:05 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I like them charged with 220

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:07 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I like them charged with 220

Curtis 220 is to many volts for hunting in Indiana.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:17 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Curtis 220 is to many volts for hunting in Indiana.

Tar

There can be a heavy amp draw in Indiana and 220 can come in handy. Like tonight would require some juice, a few inches of snow, single digits. Them 110 oky dogs ain't gonna get it

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:32 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
There can be a heavy amp draw in Indiana and 220 can come in handy. Like tonight would require some juice, a few inches of snow, single digits. Them 110 oky dogs ain't gonna get it

I am impressed you went out in that ? 220 wouldn’t push the boat you would need to hunt down here I dug on a sewer line all day yesterday I can’t move lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:41 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I am impressed you went out in that ? 220 wouldn’t push the boat you would need to hunt down here I dug on a sewer line all day yesterday I can’t move lol.

Tar

Don't be impressed, I must have gave the impression, dog is 220 handler isn't

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:44 PM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Tar and Sleepy your speaking my language now lol. Your house is actually fed with 240 volts, 120 volts on each hot leg. I like mine wired 34.5 KV, that's enough to power afew small towns, then you can use that middle button on the Alpha if you need to correct any funky voltages you get in emergency situations lol.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:05 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Dang linemen

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:07 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Disappointed in the New Generation.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I Here is where me and the coonhound world started to split. I wasn't going to put up with a lot of nonsense. While others were hunting dogs that put on a good show, made a lot of noise, treed a lot of trees. But the coon seemed to be missing from the hunt. Then into the new century 2000 till now. Most of the pups I have been around including mine have been crazy in the pen.
If you don't have heavy duty chain link they will eat it like grass. The will eat up the plastic 5 gallon buckets you use to water them. They will chew up any wood in their pens completely up and poop it out. Along with millions of dollars in bark collars being sold, the new generation of dogs is getting on my nerves. I don't think I will ever breed another dog and watch a litter I planned out with the top blood of the breed. Turn into idiots. Yea these idiots can tree a coon. But you don't get much peace around the house between hunts.

Am I the only one that sees things are changing with our young dogs? It is not specific breeding. It is a movement of the entire breeding world. Producing functioning dogs with bad manners around the house.

In the competition world it’s not about breeding the best all around coon dog...it’s about breeding the dog that wins and any cost...

Factor in the new technology of radio telemetry, shock collars and now Garmin Alpha systems and now we can breed dogs that can be toned in, tracked and shocked...so breeding isn’t as important as it used to be...

Used to be folks bred a dog they could keep up with...didn’t blow out of the country so they could keep up with the dog...also bred dogs that trail barked to help us keep track of them... but now we have the tracking systems so not as important to breed a certain way...Two things come to mind...back then hunters bred dogs that hunted with them and dogs that didn’t hunt with them got culled by not breeding them or they became lost and sometimes not found...so they eliminated themselves from the breeding program...

Then we have the bad trash runners...can’t keep them from running deer but the shock collar can reach out and touch a deer runner...after so many times he is finally broken from it with the shock collar...

Then in the kennel this dog is barking like crazy and we put a bark collar on him to quiet him down and it is frustrating because we have to put it back on him after a week of having it off...

When we have to use this equipment to the extreme then we can bet the offspring will have those traits more often than not...and the problem compounds...

I say breed dogs with natural ability...setup testing for the pups to see who naturally winds, which one naturally makes a big loop in the woods the first time out and also that he checks in...not all pups will do these things right away but those that do should be considered as breeders...of course it is only part of the big picture...

Again...breed for natural ability with minimal use of shocking to make a hunting dog...

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:25 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Disappointed in the New Generation.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I Here is where me and the coonhound world started to split. I wasn't going to put up with a lot of nonsense. While others were hunting dogs that put on a good show, made a lot of noise, treed a lot of trees. But the coon seemed to be missing from the hunt. Then into the new century 2000 till now. Most of the pups I have been around including mine have been crazy in the pen.
If you don't have heavy duty chain link they will eat it like grass. The will eat up the plastic 5 gallon buckets you use to water them. They will chew up any wood in their pens completely up and poop it out. Along with millions of dollars in bark collars being sold, the new generation of dogs is getting on my nerves. I don't think I will ever breed another dog and watch a litter I planned out with the top blood of the breed. Turn into idiots. Yea these idiots can tree a coon. But you don't get much peace around the house between hunts.

Am I the only one that sees things are changing with our young dogs? It is not specific breeding. It is a movement of the entire breeding world. Producing functioning dogs with bad manners around the house.

In the competition world it’s not about breeding the best all around coon dog...it’s about breeding the dog that wins and any cost...

Factor in the new technology of radio telemetry, shock collars and now Garmin Alpha systems and now we can breed dogs that can be toned in, tracked and shocked...so breeding isn’t as important as it used to be...

Used to be folks bred a dog they could keep up with...didn’t blow out of the country so they could keep up with the dog...also bred dogs that trail barked to help us keep track of them... but now we have the tracking systems so not as important to breed a certain way...Two things come to mind...back then hunters bred dogs that hunted with them and dogs that didn’t hunt with them got culled by not breeding them or they became lost and sometimes not found...so they eliminated themselves from the breeding program...

Then we have the bad trash runners...can’t keep them from running deer but the shock collar can reach out and touch a deer runner...after so many times he is finally broken from it with the shock collar...

Then in the kennel this dog is barking like crazy and we put a bark collar on him to quiet him down and it is frustrating because we have to put it back on him after a week of having it off...

When we have to use this equipment to the extreme then we can bet the offspring will have those traits more often than not...and the problem compounds...

I say breed dogs with natural ability...setup testing for the pups to see who naturally winds, which one naturally makes a big loop in the woods the first time out and also that he checks in...not all pups will do these things right away but those that do should be considered as breeders...of course it is only part of the big picture...

Again...breed for natural ability with minimal use of shocking to make a hunting dog...

Old Post 02-14-2020 01:26 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Disappointed in the New Generation.

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

Wise! Electronics should be used to correct dogs- but the more the technology is needed- the less one should consider using that hound for breeding.

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:11 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Yep. It's like marrying a beautiful woman who has had $500,000 worth of plastic surgery . You're probably gonna get some ugly kids.

Old Post 02-14-2020 03:32 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote