UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Disappointed in the New Generation.
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Idea

Maybe before the hound gets the Title after he has proven he can do it in a crowd. Lets have him go alone with no feeders no help in a strange place and judged on his abilities on wild coon. Make the owner pay the cost of the test and the dog does not receive the title on his paperwork until he proves he is a coon dog straight up by himself...A true hound would flourish in this test. The other stuff we are all talking about would show their true colors real fast! Now that would be interesting to me to see what hounds passed this test and which ones could not tree a wild coon on their own...one trait that true hounds possess is consistency. They can do it alone, in a crowd, thick coon, thin coon....we all know what this hound looks like 90% of the time...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2020 01:37 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Idea

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Maybe before the hound gets the Title after he has proven he can do it in a crowd. Lets have him go alone with no feeders no help in a strange place and judged on his abilities on wild coon. Make the owner pay the cost of the test and the dog does not receive the title on his paperwork until he proves he is a coon dog straight up by himself...A true hound would flourish in this test. The other stuff we are all talking about would show their true colors real fast! Now that would be interesting to me to see what hounds passed this test and which ones could not tree a wild coon on their own...one trait that true hounds possess is consistency. They can do it alone, in a crowd, thick coon, thin coon....we all know what this hound looks like 90% of the time...

That would never work some are getting their title without leaving the pen.

I bought a couple of them pretty sure that’s how they got it.

Tar

Old Post 02-13-2020 01:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Isn't a "title" for a competition hound. It has nothing to do with how they do or don't do by themselves. They have a title for pleasure dogs. It is called an HTX title and has nothing to do with a comp title.

Old Post 02-13-2020 02:55 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Today's dogs

I just see so many complaints about all these dogs and how sorry they are and thinking out loud how to better the breed. I guess we all differ on what a true coon dog is...We all feed what we choose to feed and cull what we choose to cull. I just think that 10 circle trees and one coon in a night is a joke....

Old Post 02-13-2020 04:02 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

One of the things we didn't have years ago were tick borne diseases. I have dealt with several dogs with these, and every one of them, to a dog, had issues, one night they were on and the next night they were off. Their consistency was never the same after they contacted the disease. I have never knowingly dealt with a dog with thyroid issues, but I assume they have similar issues.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-13-2020 04:06 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy

You are so correct in thinking circle trees are a problem. No one should be content in treeing a bunch of circle trees. Yes, even s true accurate coon dog will occasionally tree a legitimate circle tree and a legitimate den tree. It's dogs that tree way too many circle and den trees that ARE THE PROBLEM. IF you are treeing more than an occasional circle or den tree, you definitely do not have a truly accurate coon dog. When you go to the hunts and hear more comments about how they just can't wait until the leaves are out, you know they have an accuracy problem with their dogs. I always wanted to hunt when the leaves were off, so I had a chance of scoring every coon. I do not want excuses, I want to see coons. Some casts in summer see every coon treed, no circles, while other casts only tree circle trees, what does that say? Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 04:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I been saying the same thing...the problem would fix itself...according to many this won’t fix the problem because of too many variables...but it is the best answer to the problem...

Old Post 02-13-2020 05:48 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I been saying the same thing...the problem would fix itself...according to many this won’t fix the problem because of too many variables...but it is the best answer to the problem...

Old Post 02-13-2020 05:48 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

How many people actually go out and tree more circles or slicks than they do coons? I just don’t see that from the hunts I’ve been to or the dogs I’ve been with.

Old Post 02-13-2020 06:35 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunt format

We could set up s new "gun dog " format to reward accurate coon treeing dogs. A format that minuses all trees where a coon is not seen. Keep the current format for those who like the current format, just add a gun dog category for those who demand the best. Do not go and tell me that the current system rewards accuracy, it's flawed by not minusing the circle tree and den trees, you can not sell a hide if you don't see a coon. If every one plays by these rules it's fair for all that choose this format. I can guarantee you that you will get s better class of coon dogs under a gun dog format. Yes, I know some dens and some circle trees have coons, but not in the numbers we are seeing with today's digs and today's competition results. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 06:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

So many dogs would be eliminated the people would leave and the registry could not survive.

Old Post 02-13-2020 06:37 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Format

Keep the current format, just add the new format for those interested in proving they have the best coon treeing dogs, not circle trees or den trees, actual coons. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 06:54 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Might work if you can get enough interest at the local level to sustain it

Old Post 02-13-2020 06:59 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Here’s where the human problem comes in 😊
Men going by the rules instead trying to bend them, but wait I’m suppose to be talking about how to breed better dogs 😳
Ok so we must be forced to breed better dogs? Is that what I’m hearing 😁

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-13-2020 07:02 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

I'm just curious. But what dogs from the 90s does everyone think changed things for the worse. I have my ideas and am not trying to start a poop show but was wondering. If you're scared to post on here your more than welcome to PM me. I've been fooling with these mutts for 31 years but was wondering what everyone else had in mind.

Joe levan

Old Post 02-13-2020 07:23 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Conrad

Your breeding would not change at all, nor would those that BREED for coon dogs. It's the ones that BREED to win under the current rules, notice I said WIN under the current rules. If you judge what you are breeding and hunting on the concept of "feeding" your family VS winning hunts the outcome would be far different. You can not feed your family with circle trees, but you can win hunts with circle trees. We have come to tolerate way too many trees with coons not seen, simple because it's better than minus, but the bottom line is no coons no pay. Hunt what you can "feed" your family with, not what you can win hunts with and see if the breeding does not change. I have seen way too many supposedly winners strike at the start of a cast and never tree or tree 2 to 4 circle trees, either of which is unacceptable. Ghost tracks, circle trees, maybe a hot pop up coon equals loser, but not in the hunts, it equal winner. It's time to separate field trials from coon treeing hunts, just as the beagle guys have done. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 07:41 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I talked to a young money hunt guy a while back. He said he wanted his dog to tree 8 times in a two hour hunt. Coon or no coon. The more times he treed the more chance he had to have a coon.

Old Post 02-13-2020 08:00 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph L.
I'm just curious. But what dogs from the 90s does everyone think changed things for the worse. I have my ideas and am not trying to start a poop show but was wondering. If you're scared to post on here your more than welcome to PM me. I've been fooling with these mutts for 31 years but was wondering what everyone else had in mind.

Joe levan

JMO
Nailor, and we all know his bloodline but never talked about because a few people point at a shiny object in the other direction, Nailor was Big, Loud, Good looking, Lazy, Slick treeing son of a gun, he even died under a slick tree, then comes Nocturnal Style, then comes Trackman an Superman an the rest is history Or what you guys been talking about. JMO.

Old Post 02-13-2020 08:06 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

Lol, I love honesty! Your right, them suckers out of him were lazy. Loud but lazy. My least favorite one that I personally hunted with way more than most folks on this board was big d. That sucker cost me more hours of sleep than any woman in my life lol. Rascal must have reproduced funner dogs to hunt than himself. He was a winner for sure and so were his offspring but what a joke to hunt through the week! I personally think a lot of things changed with sacket jr and then with rat attack. Good or bad, however you want to see it and I am in no way degrading those 2. obviously numbers speak.

Joe levan

Old Post 02-13-2020 08:37 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Isn't a "title" for a competition hound. It has nothing to do with how they do or don't do by themselves. They have a title for pleasure dogs. It is called an HTX title and has nothing to do with a comp title.

You're right on Richard. To elaborate even further, HTX is not a Title, it is a Certificate, & only as good as the people judging/hunting a dog. A dog has to have competition to earn a Title. On the flip side, a dog can have a host of serious faults but be capable of earning a HTX Certificate.

Absolutely nothing wrong with HTX, more power to anyone who enjoys them. I personally have zero interest in them. Some nights my sorry potlickers would fail, some nights they would pass. No certificate needed to know if they can tree coon on their own.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Last edited by Vic Stoll on 02-13-2020 at 09:06 PM

Old Post 02-13-2020 09:02 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

To elaborate even further, HTX is not a Title, it is a Certificate, & only as good as the people judging/hunting a dog. A dog has to have competition to earn a Title

This applies to the hunts as well

Old Post 02-13-2020 09:09 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

The hard to please hunters usually have a coon treeer in there kennel we all have different opinions and ideas about dogs , bloodlines etc. The last thing we need is more programs and more expenses each year there are less hunters not more we all hunt what we like anyway why should I tell someone else how to hunt, raise want they want to

Old Post 02-13-2020 09:14 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I talked to a young money hunt guy a while back. He said he wanted his dog to tree 8 times in a two hour hunt. Coon or no coon. The more times he treed the more chance he had to have a coon.

To heck with that. I like a dog to make a tree or 2 a hour by itself resulting in plus points. Stays out of trouble, and don’t fill up a score card with circles and slicks.

Old Post 02-13-2020 09:21 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
To heck with that. I like a dog to make a tree or 2 a hour by itself resulting in plus points. Stays out of trouble, and don’t fill up a score card with circles and slicks.

Same here Sam. I'll take 2 coons per hour over 4 trees and being at 0 for a score

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-13-2020 10:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sam Fox

Sounds like you like a coon treer not a tree treer, that's what we ALL should want. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 10:16 PM