UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Hunting Terms
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunting Terms

I notice that coon hunting terms have changed thru the years and new ones added. Back in the day dogs that ran things other than a coon were "Junky" now they are "Gamey". Well I admit gamey sounds less negative, lol.

What other terms have changed?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-07-2020 05:38 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Used to be loose mouth and now it's FIRST STRIKE ...lol

Old Post 01-07-2020 07:02 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon Hunting Terms

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I notice that coon hunting terms have changed thru the years and new ones added. Back in the day dogs that ran things other than a coon were "Junky" now they are "Gamey". Well I admit gamey sounds less negative, lol.

What other terms have changed?

They are now more politically correct. We do not want to offend anyone!!!

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 01-07-2020 07:44 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

ill at the tree now it's just an aggressive tree dog...lol

Old Post 01-07-2020 07:56 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Dogs that are "Ill at the tree" today were tree fighters then. Called them what they were and still do.

Old Post 01-08-2020 12:39 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

I am with you, I still call them what they are, junky, mean, babbling, slick, etc. Dave

Old Post 01-08-2020 03:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hunts too wide is now deep and alone. The guys that have never had to hunt without any kind of tracking device don't know how aggravating a "Hunts too wide" dog was.

Old Post 01-08-2020 03:59 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Semi-Silent / Tight Mouth dogs are now honest strike dogs

Babblers are now first strike dogs

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-08-2020 03:59 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

The term “coon hunter” gets thrown around too much, most are just ignorant, childish, and jealous grown men with a hound dog.

Old Post 01-08-2020 12:59 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
The term “coon hunter” gets thrown around too much, most are just ignorant, childish, and jealous grown men with a hound dog.
WOW! Have you been talking to Ricky Gervais?

Old Post 01-08-2020 03:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I thought the term “establishing position” on a tree was one of the funniest terms I had ever heard when that term first started. They aren’t fighting, they are just establishing position. Lmbo

Old Post 01-09-2020 03:26 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

Read "Cooning with Cooners" and you will get a few new sayings from the early 1900s.

Boys hes looking up and telling old Kaiser Bill he has him

Lol. If my dog ever trees again I'm definitely saying that.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Old Post 01-11-2020 12:38 PM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote