UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Has a good dog ever changed your mind.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Has a good dog ever changed your mind.

I know a good dog can solve a lot of problems in a persons life. Lets be honest here. After being in the sport for a while and actually getting your hands on a good dog. Has that changed your original thoughts on a hound. I truly believe many of the negative things said about hounds are either said because people can't believe a dog is that good or they are just jealous. Have you ever seen one "that good" that made you realize your thought process was wrong.
*Did you ever realize that there are some dogs that can strike ahead of our dog without being a babbler.
*Did you ever realize that some of them dogs barking and your dog not saying anything are really running a track that your dog can't run.
*Did you ever realize that deer race you thought your buddies dog was running was really a coon you dog couldn't run.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-11-2020 01:37 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Yes ...yes...and yes. Year was 1993. The lady at the bank said you wanna buy a WHAT ?

Old Post 01-11-2020 01:47 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce a dog like that will put you on an endless search the rest of your life for another and you will see hundreds that never match up to that one.

Tar

Old Post 01-11-2020 01:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Guys I say amen to everything you guys have said. Donnie, I borrowed money to buy one, the pres of the bank stopped by and asked what I had got the money for. When I told him, he drove straight to my Dad's house.

Old Post 01-11-2020 02:04 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Roy...did he bring his boots and light ? Lol

I'm not rich by any means but when you find one you truly enjoy a couple hundred times a year for several years you better step up if you're serious about this sport. If you're just there to participate,that's fine too, and there's lots of dogs that will suit your needs.

Old Post 01-11-2020 02:23 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I've had a couple that I thought was good hounds. First strike, first tree doesn't mean as much as it did a few years back. Treeing coon every night and very few blanks is most important to me. I like to tree 5 trees with coon or more every night I hunt. Not that I do but that's a goal.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-11-2020 03:27 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Actually it's good for a man or woman to have to swallow his/her pride every once in awhile. There is liberty in acknowledging that someone else's hound is a better performer then yours. I may not like seeing my hound bested at times but I can honestly say I enjoy listening to a good hound do it's work at the highest level no matter who is hanging on to the other end of it's leash. I've learned more about the sport from observing a handful of really good hounds then I ever could of any other way. The majority of those hounds were owned by other people.

Old Post 01-11-2020 03:48 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bruce Conkey

YES to all those questions, and exactly the REASON that I decided some 50 years ago that I would always try to own the best dogs that I could find. Now in these 50 years I have only owned 3 that fit that description, several that came close and a bunch that failed to come close. I have had a real good time with the ones that did and a pretty good time with the ones that came close, mixed with the disappointment with the ones that were not even close. All in all, blessed by the few really good ones that showed me what a truly good dog could do and became my measuring stick. You once said that a man could not change the things he tolerates, you were right, I won't tolerate slick treeing , blabbermouth, POS coon dogs, I don't always have the best dogs, but they tree coons and are honest when they do. Dave

Old Post 01-11-2020 03:52 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I think I knew what a really good dog should be before I ever saw one. It was because once in a while you would see a dog have a great night but he couldn't do it all or at least most of the time. Even from a young man I believed there was a dog out there that had those great nights consistently. And because of that I've never had a dog I was 100% satisfied with over the course of 6 months. Really only saw one and she had some quirks but consistently made other dogs look like they didn't know what they were doing. As for the greatest change in my thinking, it is coon hounds are much smarter than I used to think. When I realized how smart they are I became a better trainer.

Old Post 01-11-2020 04:17 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

in my thinking, it is coon hounds are much smarter than I used to think. When I realized how smart they are I became a better trainer.

Preacher Tom those are words should be framed and placed on the wall in every coon hunters mind. If someone doesn't understand and believe that. They will always let dogs get away with things. It won't be the dogs fault for their shortcomings but the owners.

I am not saying there are not some dogs that just don't get it. Unfortunately there are some. But they have a place also. It isn't taking up time that could be spent on a nice prospect.

Kind of like this. If you have proven to yourself you know what a race car is and you can drive a race car. Then you get a car that you can't keep on the track. You get another car. Before it makes you quit.

Old Post 01-11-2020 04:42 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted with about half the $kc lifetime earning winners. Several wld champions and have owned several pkc platinum gold ch and silver champions. I have found that I really never hunted with one that good. I’ve been really impressed but if I hunt with a dog several times I always just see dog. I truthfully believe what makes a GOOD ONE revolves more around what they don’t do vrs being impressed by what they do.

Old Post 01-11-2020 05:02 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

N. Williams

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
...... I truthfully believe what makes a GOOD ONE revolves more around what they don’t do vrs being impressed by what they do.

I couldn't agree more!

402-209-5053

Old Post 01-11-2020 06:09 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I don’t agree...I see it as what they do that impresses me...
When we set them up right there won’t be as much of what we don’t want them to do...certain training sessions and where and how we cast them is key when making a hunting dog out of a pup...

It is a pleasure watching a good dog putting on a show even if it doesn’t belong to me...

If I were to buy a dog that turns out great I would take pleasure in it...

But when we breed that pup in our yard...select one that does all the right things as a pup and then it grows up and becomes a good hunting dog...that is exciting...

I do not have that dog at this time...but I’m slowly working towards it...

Old Post 01-11-2020 07:17 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I don’t agree...I see it as what they do that impresses me...
When we set them up right there won’t be as much of what we don’t want them to do...certain training sessions and where and how we cast them is key when making a hunting dog out of a pup...

It is a pleasure watching a good dog putting on a show even if it doesn’t belong to me...

If I were to buy a dog that turns out great I would take pleasure in it...

But when we breed that pup in our yard...select one that does all the right things as a pup and then it grows up and becomes a good hunting dog...that is exciting...

I do not have that dog at this time...but I’m slowly working towards it...

Old Post 01-11-2020 07:17 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

There's many more common and bad dogs than good ones it depends on how you judge them . The good ones usually separate themselves fairly easy and for one reason or another are far and few between

Old Post 01-11-2020 07:54 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

wart

I agree, the really good ones are few and far between, that is if one has seen a really good one to use as a measuring stick. Same way for even the pro athletes, you just don't see many Larry Birds, Magic Johnson's or Michael Jordan's. Yes, there are a lot of good players, but few that really stand out. Dave

Old Post 01-11-2020 08:05 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

Yes. I own probley the best English dog iv ever walked behind and I have a 7 month old pup that's absolutely on fire right now and they not only changed my mind they about to change my life. Divorce, kicked out of my house, lost job, and bad knees lol

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 01-12-2020 05:17 PM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Three yeses

I thought coon were about extinct until I hunted with Dolan Boderhaufers SAM dog in the late seventies.Really opened my eyes about the junk I was hunting.Have always tried to have better dogs after that.

Old Post 01-12-2020 05:43 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

the top speed for a average raccoon is 15 miles per hour,at 15 miles a hour a coon will cover a mile in 4 minutes ,I have never been hunting with a dog that struck off the leash went a mile in 4 minutes treed with 2 looking down .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 01-14-2020 at 12:38 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:34 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote