UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Real Mountainmen
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Enjoyed the stories.

I am the same good with kids and dogs, questionable with others often considered unpredictable even thought I don't think so. Loyal to those liked. On my tombstone it will read He liked his dogs more than most people.

My life story, Jeff

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-26-2013 05:30 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thompsons are hard to beat.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Ashmore
I sold shotgun barrel as I only used it a couple times. That fellow must have tried hard to break those triggers, they are pretty tough.

Merry Christmas, Jeff

Jeff how good did the shotgun barrel pattern ? I've never seen one shot . Like i said the guy that broke those triggers ,I have no idea how he did it and never offered to pay for it .

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 12-26-2013 11:02 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

By golly you'd have ta be dang good ta reload a smokepole on the run,sounds like a feller you'd want on your side.

Old Post 12-27-2013 12:59 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Shot gun barrel

Patterned great at 70 grain anything more or less had whole in pattern. Was just a kicking machine at greater than 70-80, no weight to gun with that light barrel.

The Boys have a new englander each both 50 cal. They like to shoot old WW2 stuff more and double barrel shotguns. Good with pistols also, they get that from their Mom, cause I am not a pistol shot.

I definitely would not want Lewis Wetzel after me. Enjoyed learning about that Chuck thanks.

Jeff

Old Post 12-27-2013 02:29 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bigtimberkennel
By golly you'd have ta be dang good ta reload a smokepole on the run,sounds like a feller you'd want on your side.

LOL,I tried it a few times back in my younger days ,but now at this age now I just mosey along when I try that ,lol.

Old Post 12-31-2013 10:34 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

I do good with the modern ammo.

Old Post 12-31-2013 10:59 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I like these stories of lesser known Mountain Men, This is the history of Joseph R. Walker.

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/joseph_Walker.htm

Old Post 01-02-2014 09:38 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

He sure did travel.

Old Post 01-04-2014 01:58 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
He sure did travel.

He must have been born in the sign of the feet . Had the foot itch and had to travel ,lol.

Old Post 01-04-2014 05:52 PM
brushrunretiree
Banned

It surprised me to see you mention " The Signs." We castrate, wean,, etc. by the signs.

Old Post 01-04-2014 06:02 PM
brushrunretiree is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brushrunretiree Click here to Send brushrunretiree a Private Message Click Here to Email brushrunretiree Find more posts by brushrunretiree Add brushrunretiree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by brushrunretiree
It surprised me to see you mention " The Signs." We castrate, wean,, etc. by the signs.

Spike why does that surprise you ,,I'm an old hillbilly too bred and born WVa .

Old Post 01-04-2014 06:10 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by brushrunretiree

I wasn't born in W.V. but on my moms side they were & dads side they're razorbacks & we still plant our garden,wean goats & cut when it's the sign,I use an almanac from the Amish country....guy can't go wrong by golly. Chuck his shoes most likely wore out before he did.

Old Post 01-04-2014 10:28 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

We were out running around some yesterday and the wifes says," do you want to go anyplace in particular ? " And I said lets go check out the buffalos at Fermi Lab , they were out of the big shed feeding on the grass and hay that was scattered for them . With all the snow on their shoulders and backs made for some interesting pics and thoughts of the mountain man setting under a rock ledge with a buffalo robe over his shoulders waiting out this blizzard . Yes Sir both were tough Man & Beast .

Old Post 01-07-2014 06:14 PM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Buffalo Robes

I have a friend that did reactments that had a buffalo Robe He told me that was far warmer than any wool blankets. I would have like to try some of that life. Men didn't usually live long as it was a hard life.

When I retire I plan on doing some things like riding a horse across country ect. Would like to move to alaska for a year, but wife says no or go by yourself which I just might. Definitely want to travel as I have never seen mountains or ocean.

Jeff

Old Post 01-07-2014 06:45 PM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Signs are for a purpose.

Those things all have meaning and you will do a lot better if you do it as they say. I can't explain why but I have had better results when I did it. My Grandfather taught me about the almanac. He was a supersticious man. I think came from the indian side of family. Unfortuatley he was a alcoholic and gambler except when I was around, he always stayed straight. We hunted and fished and learned many things about nature from him. He was a good man to me. Taught me alot, everything thing no matter how small has a purpose even though we may not know what it is. Preserve what is given to us from God.

Jeff

Old Post 01-07-2014 06:54 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Yep them buffalo's are tough animals & strong too,them old bulls when they decide too go through something they put their head against it & push.

Old Post 01-08-2014 02:34 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yep them buffalo's are tough animals & strong too,them old bulls when they decide too go through something they put their head against it & push.

They keep these buffs in behind 2 fences , we go out 3 or 4 times year to watch them,see the new calves,watch them roll in the dust or in the mud to keep the bugs/flies off . Best time is in the rut ,just watching those big bulls fighting sure is something .

Old Post 01-09-2014 11:35 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

I'll bet. I was watchin' Nature on PBS one time with wolves they had ta get them buffalo's ta run before they could single out a weak one or a calf,as long as they stayed together the wolves never stood a chance,one wolf 'bout got his guts stomped out,I was rootin' for the buffalo.

Old Post 01-10-2014 12:59 AM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Buffalo

My Brother in law's family raised them in Iowa, and they had them behind to big fences and lot fences made out of 3 x 6 rough cut timber with like railroad ties for post 7 feet tall. They are not animals to be messed with. I like buffalo meat, it is a bit lean. Indians had guts to ride horses and stab them with lances. I have read stories of the buffalo hunters pumping round after round in those old bulls before they went down. Would have been great times to have lived.

Going to Casey tonight to visit and show dog.

Jeff

Old Post 01-10-2014 01:55 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Talking

I go out of town once in a while,buy me buffalo burger and some steaks,use the burger in chili . Its ok for me ,but the rest of the family are city folks and look at me weird and just kinda stir the chili in their bowl. Leaves more for me ,lol.

Old Post 01-11-2014 01:27 AM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
Leaves more for me ,lol.

Leaves more for .... US I really like it better than deer.

Old Post 01-11-2014 07:36 PM
l.lyle
Banned

How many digits can one peck Mr UKC before all that one writes just goes to oblivion?? Please give a hint. Is it measured in paragraghs? What is the magic cut off point ?? As you fellers can most likely guess , I have written a good bit tonight that went poof and I am sick and tired of it. Give me a hint > I am sick of being leashlocked.

Last edited by l.lyle on 01-15-2014 at 10:05 AM

Old Post 01-15-2014 10:02 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

I reckon it all depends on how well ya behave yourself,& if they take a likein' to ya.

Old Post 01-15-2014 11:41 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
How many digits can one peck Mr UKC before all that one writes just goes to oblivion?? Please give a hint. Is it measured in paragraghs? What is the magic cut off point ?? As you fellers can most likely guess , I have written a good bit tonight that went poof and I am sick and tired of it. Give me a hint > I am sick of being leashlocked.

Mr.lyle send it to me in a PM ,see if that works . This diabetes is kickin my keester bad . Maybe i can spin a tale out today ,then maybe not . I feel like crap .

Old Post 01-15-2014 04:10 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
I'm going to head out next year to Popo Aggi If I'm still kickin.

I'm in need of a good roadtrip . Burn up some "cheap" gas and some shoe leather,, take my trusty gold pan too ,lol

Old Post 01-18-2014 07:59 PM