UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Real Mountainmen
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

The Real Mountainmen

Thought I would start this thread about real mountainmen/trappers etc. First thing you need to know was their language .

http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/gloss.html

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-16-2013 07:11 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Come on in and palaver with me a spell ,it would be shining if ya did ,,lol

http://www.over-land.com/westpers3.html

Old Post 08-16-2013 07:32 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Some good info to read .

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/

Old Post 08-17-2013 12:54 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Monument to Hugh Glass - Mauled by Grizzly, Left to Die

Shadehill, South Dakota

In 1823, Hugh Glass was part of an expedition traveling through the plains near what is now the town of Lemmon. He was attacked by a grizzly bear, which slashed him from head to foot. While the rest of the party moved on, a young Jim Bridger was left to tend to Glass. Instead, he took Glass's gun and gear and left him to die.

When Glass came out of his coma, he was alone on a desolate plain, with maggots eating the rot in his back. His leg was broken, so he had to crawl 200 miles to Fort Kiowa and safety. Fever and infection took their toll and frequently rendered him unconscious. The trip took more than two months.

Glass eventually caught up with Bridger, but let him live (Bridger went on to become one of the top mountain men, trappers, and scouts in the U.S.). Fate rewarded Glass's kindness by having him die in an Indian ambush a few years later.

The Monument stands at the end of a winding unpaved road on a bluff near Shadehill, south of Lemmon, overlooking a man-made lake.

Monument to Hugh Glass - Mauled by Grizzly, Left to Die
Hugh Glass Recreation Area
Address:Pasture 8 Rd, Shadehill, SD
Directions:From Lemmon, South Dakota, go south on Highway 73 about 13 miles. Turn right (West) onto Hugh Glass Road (unpaved). Go about 3 1/2 miles; the monument will be on the right, overlooking Shadehill Reservoir.

Old Post 08-18-2013 03:21 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

More language lessons .

http://www.over-land.com/mtmantalk.html

Old Post 08-19-2013 05:18 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/Mountain_Men.htm

Old Post 08-19-2013 05:57 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/fur_trade.htm#geographical center

Bridger was one of the two men that left Hugh Glass to die after Glass was mauled by a bear.

Old Post 08-20-2013 02:06 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I need a new double set trigger for my .50 cal. ,,was just surfin the net ,ran across this to post .

http://www.thehawkenshop.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawken_rifle

Old Post 08-21-2013 04:35 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I need a new double set trigger for my .50 cal. ,,was just surfin the net ,ran across this to post .

http://www.thehawkenshop.com/

Old Post 08-21-2013 04:37 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I'm going to head out next year to Popo Aggi If I'm still kickin.

Old Post 08-23-2013 09:04 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I have a double trigger 50cal Hawkins haven't shot it in 10 years or more, I put a few deer in the freezer and one 300lb black bear with it, after looking at this post I may just pull it out this year, Thanks Chuck.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Last edited by nitehunter2004 on 08-24-2013 at 12:51 AM

Old Post 08-24-2013 12:49 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
I have a double trigger 50cal Hawkins haven't shot it in 10 years or more, I put a few deer in the freezer and one 300lb black bear with it, after looking at this post I may just pull it out this year, Thanks Chuck.
Tim ,I enjoy the old smokepole more and more each year . It's been about 10 years now since I've used any of my centerfire rifles .

Old Post 08-27-2013 04:16 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
Tim ,I enjoy the old smokepole more and more each year . It's been about 10 years now since I've used any of my centerfire rifles .
How many more of you guys like to black powder hunt ?

Old Post 10-03-2013 08:49 PM
red rocket
UKC Forum Member

I would much rather hunt with my Hawken then anything else. Got a 40 cal. flintlock that fun to play with to. Chuck I sure do enjoy a good mountain man story!

Old Post 10-05-2013 10:05 PM
red rocket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for red rocket Click here to Send red rocket a Private Message Find more posts by red rocket Add red rocket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Boys this isn't a mountain man story but today I got to kick back in a chair on Wyatt Earp's front porch . Yep I was born 200 years too late .

Old Post 10-06-2013 04:42 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Well I've been to Wyatt Earp's birth place and Wild Bill Hickock's birthplace ,so I need to do me some research for next year .

Old Post 12-19-2013 12:44 AM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Thompson New Englander 50 Cal.

Been shooting deer, coyote and squirel with this gun for 28 years now.

Killed over 30 deer, a dozen or more squirrels and a 6 or 7 coyotes. Make my own bullets and pouches, powder horns ect. Keeps me out of trouble. Oh I forgot tomahawked 1 squirel and killed 2 with bow. Really hard on arrows though.

Jeff A.

Old Post 12-20-2013 08:11 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I've got 3 TC 50 cals,and one of them is a New Englander like yours . Do you have the shotgun barrel for it too? The other 2 guns ,one is the White Mtn. carbine and the other is the Renegade . I loaned out the renegade a few years back to a neighbors son and he brought it back with the set triggers broken,how he did that I have no idea . Ah well a lesson learned .

I think my next one will be an Encore,just swap out barrels ,,lol

Old Post 12-21-2013 01:49 AM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Chuck,ya reckon if Hugh Glass were around today he'd go back to the bear?

Old Post 12-24-2013 11:29 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Old Hugh had to be one tough sucker thats for sure .

Old Post 12-25-2013 03:39 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Yep,bet he could get some things straight

Old Post 12-25-2013 04:17 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I need to go dig out another mtn.man story .

Old Post 12-25-2013 11:47 PM
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

Do that,just make it short,I can't pull up a lot of u-tube info.

Old Post 12-26-2013 02:43 AM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Lewis Wetzel

TD here is a local legend from the Ohio Valley .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Wetzel

http://www.wvinter.net/~haught/deathwind.htm

Old Post 12-26-2013 01:25 PM
Jeff Ashmore
UKC Forum Member

Thompsons are hard to beat.

I sold shotgun barrel as I only used it a couple times. That fellow must have tried hard to break those triggers, they are pretty tough.

Merry Christmas, Jeff

Old Post 12-26-2013 02:22 PM
Jeff Ashmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Ashmore Click here to Send Jeff Ashmore a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Ashmore Find more posts by Jeff Ashmore Add Jeff Ashmore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote