UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Beagle to hunt bobcat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lrhone
UKC Forum Member

Beagle to hunt bobcat

I'm looking to buy a pair of beagle pups to train for rabbit and bobcat. I've had beagles before but training them for cats is something totally new to me. So here's the question. ...are there people out there that breed specifically for their line to run cats or would any pup from a good hunting line work? What kind of speed and line control should I be looking for from the parents. Any advice or anyone could recommend a breeder or a bloodline would be greatly appreciated.

Past home of...
NITECH FCH GRCH 'PR' Timber Shocker Phil HTX (Shocker x ntch Yeller)

NITECH CH 'PR' Hesston's Midnite Bandit (Buzz x ntch Queeny).... (R.I.P)

NITECH FCH GRCH 'PR' Hesston's Midnite Buck HTX (grnt Aftershock x ch Music)

Present home of...
NITECH CH 'PR' Wades Big Red Style (Grnt Red x Grnt Hope)

Hesston's Midnite Tater Tot (Nitech Ch Style x Ch Music)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2016 10:45 PM
lrhone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lrhone Click here to Send lrhone a Private Message Click Here to Email lrhone Find more posts by lrhone Add lrhone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AprilD
UKC Forum Member

I dont know about beagles but my friend has coonhounds that he uses for bobcat.

Old Post 01-24-2016 06:15 PM
AprilD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AprilD Click here to Send AprilD a Private Message Click Here to Email AprilD Find more posts by AprilD Add AprilD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand why you would use beagles to run bobcat. Wouldn't you want a tree dog for that? Besides, a bobcat cut up 3 of my uncles big walker coon hounds a few years back. What is going to happen to a pair of beagles if they corner a bobcat?

Old Post 01-24-2016 11:45 PM
Chuck Kerns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Kerns Click here to Send Chuck Kerns a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Kerns Find more posts by Chuck Kerns Add Chuck Kerns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lrhone
UKC Forum Member

People have been using beagles for coyote and cats. Supposedly the beagle circles cats and coyote just like a rabbit because they're slower than a coon hound.

Past home of...

Present home of...

Old Post 01-24-2016 11:50 PM
lrhone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lrhone Click here to Send lrhone a Private Message Click Here to Email lrhone Find more posts by lrhone Add lrhone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dsmay
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by lrhone
People have been using beagles for coyote and cats. Supposedly the beagle circles cats and coyote just like a rabbit because they're slower than a coon hound.

Exactly!!! It's hard to get a cat to stay in a tree. Old man i used to work with used to run them with anything that would chase them as long as it wasn't to fast on the track. He said that the cat would circle pretty close to the same place every time. He would slip in and get on a stand after it circled and would shoot it when it came back around. He said with a slower dog the cat would just get out in front and set and wait till they got close and trot out again.

Old Post 01-25-2016 12:11 AM
dsmay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dsmay Click here to Send dsmay a Private Message Find more posts by dsmay Add dsmay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lrhone
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dsmay
Exactly!!! It's hard to get a cat to stay in a tree. Old man i used to work with used to run them with anything that would chase them as long as it wasn't to fast on the track. He said that the cat would circle pretty close to the same place every time. He would slip in and get on a stand after it circled and would shoot it when it came back around. He said with a slower dog the cat would just get out in front and set and wait till they got close and trot out again.

Yes!! Guys hunt the cats with shotguns! Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Past home of...

Present home of...

Old Post 01-25-2016 12:16 AM
kylej15
UKC Forum Member

Im from northeast pa I run cats with big hounds, either running walker or tree dog or some cross of them. I don't see any reason why you couldn't be extremely successful hunting them with beagles. Not very many cats tree they will bay or go in a hole more than tree, they are pretty tough animal that will tear almost any dog a new one, but that's a problem everyone that runs them has. Theres a fella in ohio that hunts coyotes with beagles and he uses "patch" beagles I don't know anything about them but he does really really really well. Might be a starting spot. Good Luck

Old Post 02-01-2016 04:43 PM
kylej15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kylej15 Click here to Send kylej15 a Private Message Click Here to Email kylej15 Find more posts by kylej15 Add kylej15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote