UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many work your hounds just like it is a comp hunt.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

How many work your hounds just like it is a comp hunt.

Guess it is just one of my ways. But when I hunt just one hound by itself. I tread the experience just like I would in a comp hunt. I put the leash on the dog coming out of the box. Walk him a short distance and send him. When I get to a tree. I put the leash on him. If I have energy left. I walk him a short distance and recut him. If not he is on the leash headed back to the truck.

I will admit that with me and one dog. I don't need all that leash stuff. But someday, I may want to comp hunt him so I prepare as if it was tomorrow.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2019 12:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When you only hunt one dog it's hard to train them for a hunt. Before I start hunting them in competition I hunt them with the worst junk I can find to see where they are at but that's just me.

Tar

Old Post 02-13-2019 01:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Agree with you on other dogs. In the past couple weeks he has been out 6 times. Four alone and twice with other dogs.
Mix and match with other dogs and alone is good in my opinion and the only way to see what you have and to know what you need to work on. As far as the leash. I want every night and every time taken off the tree or out of the box to be be the same for him. I want him to know when he is under control and when he can slide off into the darkness. Just too old for a dog that won't stand still to be collared up and pulling to get loose or go back to the truck.

Old Post 02-13-2019 01:32 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I understand that Bruce fully !! I only have two dogs if you don't hunt babe at least 3 nights a week she is a handful ! The longer the night goes she just gets stronger. I may hunt that many nights and I may not when I chase the little dogs during the day. My young dog is now ready to be hunted by himself but his owner has bad legs and nobody wants to go just to listen to your dog. I can see what's coming just don't want to give up yet.

I bred them up to tuff for an old fat guy lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-13-2019 01:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I like to hunt one by itself. There’s only so much you can do though hunting it alone. I like to hunt with people that hunt the way I do. You can’t set one up by yourself. From the time there started there turned off trees and i don’t walk them 2-300 yards. I snap them and tie them back when I get to the tree. When I’m ready to leave that tree I untie them point them in the direction I want to go and recut them. If I’ve got one with big ears I’ll cut a dog and let it get treed them cut mine the only easy to work on the big ears issue hunt with other dogs. I’ll probably take some grief on that comment but I don’t want mine to run 6-700 yards to cover another dog treed. I have no problem with my dog covering and treeing with another dog if they ran the same track. I just don’t want mine breaking it’s nexk getting to treed dogs and don’t want them coming in to a tree 5min after dogs are treed.:

Old Post 02-13-2019 02:03 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Rea you are correct about them listening for another dog. I think that is where hunting them by themselves gives them the confidence to go their own way. You turn out together and a closer track keeps them together. That is fine with me also.

Old Post 02-13-2019 03:09 PM
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

I

Work or train mine to suit me that’s most important to me but that being said most things I like will work in a competition hunt.

Old Post 02-13-2019 03:53 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't "work" my hounds any more. I just go pleasure hunting. Maybe that is why I don't win any more.

Old Post 02-13-2019 05:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I just pleasure hunt no matter what.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-14-2019 04:14 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

We know they learn from repetition. The same thing over and over, from the way you handle them around the pen, the way you load them, cut them, handle them at the tree and recut them. Do it the same over and over. We hunt them by themselves because you cant completely control how you interact with them with other dogs out there. You have put many many nights of that on them THEN you put them with other dogs to see if something needs work. If they are a good hound and you did your job right there normally isn't much to work on. Dogs are put in hunts way to early and then way to often.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-14-2019 05:33 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote