UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > best state to coonhunt ??
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin Miller
UKC Forum Member

Northern IN, up around Angola is the best.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-05-2010 04:57 PM
Austin Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Miller Click here to Send Austin Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Austin Miller Find more posts by Austin Miller Add Austin Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psiskjr
UKC Forum Member

Not Florida!!!! Everything here will either bite you or stick you.

Psiskjr

Old Post 05-05-2010 06:39 PM
psiskjr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for psiskjr Click here to Send psiskjr a Private Message Click Here to Email psiskjr Find more posts by psiskjr Add psiskjr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I haven't hunted all over, but I have lived in a few places and where I live is where I like best and I will tell you why.

#1. A nice mix of timber, swamps, crops, dairy farms and even mountains all within 20 mile drive.
#2. Pennsylvania has a big tradition of hunting and deer hunting, but we are not a "big buck" state and generally if you keep on public land for the 2 weeks of deer rifle season, you can hunt without any run ins with other hunters
#3 Small blocks of woods with a large coon populsion that are generally a 50/50 mix of field and woods. Turning a dog loose and not getting a strike in 5 minutes of rare unless you are hunting in poor conditions or dead of winter So many areas of IN. OH it seems there is a HUGE tract of farmed ground and a patch of 100 trees in the middle. I kinda like the woods a little more, but thats just a personal preference.
#4 Large tracks of public land. I think I have around 15,000 acres at a minimum within 20 miles, and most of it much closer. Some of this land can be rough, but you always have a place to go.
#5. Friendly landowers and a good response to a polite hunter asking permission to run hounds and coonhunt
#6. Not many people hunt coon and I can hunt all year other than opening night and not see another truck with a box at night.

The downfall is the winter and it is a pain, but I will take all the advantages to this disadvantage

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-05-2010 07:57 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Clements
I've hunted in Indiana, Ohio & PA ... all very nice states to hunt in but NE Ohio is prob my fav, flat ground and open hardwoods

Forgot about Illinos, I hunted one nite last fall in Illinos another nice state to hunt and nice flat ground

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 05-05-2010 08:17 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearman
UKC Forum Member

NOR-CAL FOR ME PLENTY OF COON LITTLE TRASH FLAT AND ALOT OF WATER AND TREES, NIGHT OR DAY IT'S ALL GOOD!

Old Post 05-05-2010 08:49 PM
bearman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearman Click here to Send bearman a Private Message Visit bearman's homepage! Find more posts by bearman Add bearman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

OKLAHOMA has thick coon, thin coon, plains, small mountains, big and small areas of woods. In 3 hours you can be from one side of the state on the plains to the wood covered hills on the east side. If you live in the middle you have it all.
Here were I live it is flat with lots of creeks and rivers. You can drive around most mile sections. If your dog goes threw a section with out strikeing coon you better have a talk with it. Most of the farmers are as nice to you as you are them. If you don't get along with anyone there is even a lot of public hunting.

The worst thing about Okla. is that all the big hunts are a long way away.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 05-05-2010 09:03 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Wood
UKC Forum Member

guess

theres good and bad in every state

Old Post 05-05-2010 09:57 PM
Larry Wood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Wood Click here to Send Larry Wood a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Wood Find more posts by Larry Wood Add Larry Wood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hazier
UKC Forum Member

YOU NEED TO CHECK CENTRAL IOWA , FLAT FARM GROUND SOME BIG TRACKS WOODS LEFT. COON POPULATION REAALY GOOD THE LOAST COUPLE OF YEARS.

Old Post 05-05-2010 09:59 PM
hazier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hazier Click here to Send hazier a Private Message Click Here to Email hazier Find more posts by hazier Add hazier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VA.REB
UKC Forum Member

OLD VIRGINIA

WE HAVE GOT MOUNTIANS, FARM LAND, AND FLAT LAND SWAMPS, AND A DECENT COON POPULATION. AND WE ALSO HAVE A RICH HUNTIN AND HOUND HUNTIN TRADITION, ITS OUR SOUTHERN CULTURE. BUT A COON DOG CAN TREE A COON ANYWHERE. GOD BLESS YALL.

Old Post 05-07-2010 12:33 PM
VA.REB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VA.REB Click here to Send VA.REB a Private Message Click Here to Email VA.REB Visit VA.REB's homepage! Find more posts by VA.REB Add VA.REB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Wood
UKC Forum Member

best answer yet va

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 05-07-2010 05:11 PM
Larry Wood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Wood Click here to Send Larry Wood a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Wood Find more posts by Larry Wood Add Larry Wood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote