UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Seeking input and advice
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Seeking input and advice

I'm looking for some advise and opinions if anyone has anything they want to offer up or add. Like most folks, finding a good place to hunt is getting harder and harder for me. I personally don't like to turn dogs out on small tracts of land. The bigger the tract the less likely you are to have a problem of any kind whether it be land owners or cars. I only started coon hunting about 4 or 5 years ago after being a lifelong beagle man, so I certainly don't have a lifetime of experience with coons and their habits. Within an hour or so of my house is a vast amount of public hunting. Its not what I'd consider prime coon hunting. A good chunk of it is paper company owned pine plantation that's in our state game land program. My question is this, is it worth a mans time to hunt this type of land? Some the pines are tall enough now the undergrowth is getting choked out so it wouldn't be terrible to walk through in some places. Some places are fresh and new cutovers, they can have that but I am wondering if the taller pines might be worth turning out in ? May be a stupid question I just don't know. up until this year I've always had at least one decent place to hunt on a good creek bottom or around crops. I've treed plenty of coons in pine trees before but its always been in hardwood bottoms or along a creek. I've never really hunted what I'd consider a "pine plantation" so to speak. Thanks for taking the time to read and if you've got any input or advise thanks for that as well.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-23-2019 06:06 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

Nothing to do but give it a try buddy.

Jeremy Harris

Old Post 09-23-2019 06:14 PM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I have treed a good many coons in pines down here. Especially when the berries are on, its ruff walking but the coons are in the pine thickets eating berries.

Old Post 09-23-2019 06:22 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Get on Google earth and see what the area looks like, then go check it out in the day time.If it's a large area, there should be some creeks, ponds, etc.Locate water and find wildlife. Down here, coons will stay where theres food and water. This may change several times a year also.They will be in pine thickets looking for berries, in cutovers, in cane thickets, in crop fields, especially rice fields in the summer. Good luck and keep us posted, Jr. Steelman

Old Post 09-24-2019 12:57 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote