UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Tribute to the Original Johnson's Banjo
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Tribute to the Original Johnson's Banjo

One of the original Great Hounds and one of the greatest Stud dogs in history.

Joe House's foundation was House's Queen and Johnson's Banjo.

I am guessing most hunters of today have never seen a picture of Banjo. I thought I would share.

In the 1960's when one said the word "Banjo," everyone knew they were talking about Johnson's Banjo. Banjo died on September 11, 1963. He was a young hound but he had already had a huge impact on the Treeing Walker breed.

This first article was written by James Merchant. He is describing a young dog that had just started making the hunts. James would later own Banjo and finish 2nd in the 1961 ACHA World Hunt.

This is a picture of the original owner of Banjo, Sylvestor "Bud" Johnson.

James Merchant purchased Banjo and brought him into the public eye.

James finishes 2nd in the ACHA World Hunt with Banjo. Finishing 87 1/2 points behind Stan's Sailor Boy in the 1961 hunt

James sells Banjo to JC Ellis.

My favorite picture of Banjo.

Various ads on Banjo

Banjo's Death

Last edited by BGathright on 11-08-2012 at 05:12 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-08-2012 01:24 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 11-08-2012 01:41 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Many years ago there was an article in "Outdoor Life" about coonhunting and Johnsons Banjo. Kind of what shaped my thoughts on bloodlines and leaned towards House Bred dogs many years ago.

Old Post 11-08-2012 02:06 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HistoryNutt
UKC Forum Member

Great Info

GREAT THREAD BOBBY!!!

http://www.finleyriverchief.com

Sites I like to visit that have a lot of information:

A Lot Of Old Pictures And Ads

http://finleyriverchief.forumotion.net

Register On The Above Forum To See A Lot More Old Pictures And Ads.
There are more that you can't access unless registered.

Old Post 11-08-2012 02:40 PM
HistoryNutt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HistoryNutt Click here to Send HistoryNutt a Private Message Click Here to Email HistoryNutt Visit HistoryNutt's homepage! Find more posts by HistoryNutt Add HistoryNutt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chiggers
UKC Forum Member

Helped put the tree in the walkers, up untill Banjo, walkers were made fun of because they would not tree.

Old Post 11-08-2012 02:47 PM
Chiggers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chiggers Click here to Send Chiggers a Private Message Click Here to Email Chiggers Find more posts by Chiggers Add Chiggers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Man those pics bring back memories,,,Don Cox and old Tammy ,Not to forget about Don Ranke and his Blue Ridge Rock ,,Yep those pics of those dogs are the foundation dogs of my old line too. Man Oh Man ,,what a thread !

Old Post 11-08-2012 03:17 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nelson Kirkland
UKC Forum Member

Johnsons Banjo was born near Beecher City, Illinois. I met the man that raised him many years back. He was a humble man, living a country life. He never really knew the impact of the dog, but did know he went onto to be very famous.

Old Post 11-08-2012 05:07 PM
Nelson Kirkland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nelson Kirkland Click here to Send Nelson Kirkland a Private Message Find more posts by Nelson Kirkland Add Nelson Kirkland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Raines Buck

The pic of the Buck dog ,,,I do think Mr. Merchant did buy that dog ,Because he looks Identical to Gr.Night Champion Merchant"s Buck that was in my home state of WVa as a young man,,,Correct me if I'm wrong ,but i'm almost positive.

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:41 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Raines Buck

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
The pic of the Buck dog ,,,I do think Mr. Merchant did buy that dog ,Because he looks Identical to Gr.Night Champion Merchant"s Buck that was in my home state of WVa as a young man,,,Correct me if I'm wrong ,but i'm almost positive.

Yes Sir. He was later named "Merchant's Buck." I live around the Fort Worth, Tx area and AW Norman owned Buck at one time too.

Also, the Bimbo dog was later owned by Gene Vance, who owned Crowding Billy.

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:48 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Man those pics bring back memories,,,Don Cox and old Tammy ,Not to forget about Don Ranke and his Blue Ridge Rock ,,Yep those pics of those dogs are the foundation dogs of my old line too. Man Oh Man ,,what a thread !

Ranke also owned Millie, who I believe was high scoring female of the 1970 & 1971 ACHA World Hunt.

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:53 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

LOL ,,,I knew it,lol, i was right,,Boys there is a ton of Buck and Tammy dogs in WVa if you get to looking and tracing back. OK maybe you know,have you ever heard of Groce's Radio or Cox's Cannonball,??not really sure but i think they were littermates !

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:56 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Chuck West

I believe you had replied to Mark Hick's classified for the Lipper's Stylish Rooster pups.

If so, care to share anything about the cross?

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:57 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
LOL ,,,I knew it,lol, i was right,,Boys there is a ton of Buck and Tammy dogs in WVa if you get to looking and tracing back. OK maybe you know,have you ever heard of Groce's Radio or Cox's Cannonball,??not really sure but i think they were littermates !

I have heard of the dogs but I dont know if they were littermates.

I just love the history of these hounds.

Old Post 11-09-2012 03:59 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

All I can say on that cross is the Lexie female is bred right the way i like them,,Hillbilly Mac,Rock River Banjo etc. track driving accurite tree dogs. That was what my line off dogs were bred like . Those puppies should make coondogs no doubt if handled right !

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:03 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
All I can say on that cross is the Lexie female is bred right the way i like them,,Hillbilly Mac,Rock River Banjo etc. track driving accurite tree dogs. That was what my line off dogs were bred like . Those puppies should make coondogs no doubt if handled right !

What type of nose would you say she has?

If I can, I am going to pick one up tomorrow.

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:06 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BGathright
What type of nose would you say she has?

If I can, I am going to pick one up tomorrow.

Can't say ,you need to ask the owner or previous owner of her ,,But she should have a decent medium nose.

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:09 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Mike Shannon has a littermate Sister to Lexie ,,He has the post Team Hillbilly Mac ,You might want to check that out or his dogs.

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:17 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

I sent you a PM with my cell number .

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:24 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Mike Shannon has a littermate Sister to Lexie ,,He has the post Team Hillbilly Mac ,You might want to check that out or his dogs.

Chuck,

Thank you very much for your help. I have seen Mr. Shannon's website. I didnt know that Lexie was part of that line.

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:25 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I told you wrong on this Mike's Female IS NOT a littermate,,sorry ,, I was running to mant pedigrees through my old wore brain at one time,,,Like i say right church ,wrong pew .

Old Post 11-09-2012 04:58 PM
HistoryNutt
UKC Forum Member

QUIZ QUESTION

WHAT FAMOUS STUD DOG IS A HALF BROTHER TO JOHNSON'S BANJO?
I have heard this for years and finally was able to confirm it.

Old Post 11-09-2012 05:48 PM
HistoryNutt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HistoryNutt Click here to Send HistoryNutt a Private Message Click Here to Email HistoryNutt Visit HistoryNutt's homepage! Find more posts by HistoryNutt Add HistoryNutt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Re: QUIZ QUESTION

quote:
Originally posted by HistoryNutt

hmmmm...... Freckles x Miller's Judy = Banjo.

This is gonna be good. I have no idea......

Old Post 11-09-2012 07:16 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: QUIZ QUESTION

quote:
Originally posted by HistoryNutt

Did this famous half brother sire another well know stud dog ???

Old Post 11-09-2012 07:21 PM
HistoryNutt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: QUIZ QUESTION

quote:
Did this famous half brother sire another well know stud dog ???

Yes he did or at least one time he was well known. Also a well known Grand Son. His mother's name is listed different then Miller's Judy. He like Banjo was singled registered and the owner of the Mama owned both dogs.

Old Post 11-09-2012 07:51 PM
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

BGathright

quote:
I sent you a PM with my cell number .

Old Post 11-09-2012 08:20 PM