UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How do you pick out your puppy in a litter?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ccasper
UKC Forum Member

How do you pick out your puppy in a litter?

Was just curious how some of you pick out your pup? Do you look for anything certain or just first one that catches your eye? Or do you believe more important on the time that gets put in them and not worry about how they look? I usually just go with first one that catches my eye or let someone else pick me out one

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-16-2022 04:47 PM
ccasper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ccasper Click here to Send ccasper a Private Message Click Here to Email ccasper Find more posts by ccasper Add ccasper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Last one I raised, I actually bought 2 pups, not littermates or even the same breed but one week apart in age. Raised them together and by 3.5 months I knew which one I wanted to keep. Sold the other. The one I kept is the best young dog I've had. If I did it again it would probably work out exactly opposite. I do think it helps to raise 2 together.

Old Post 08-16-2022 06:36 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

1st thing I look for is confirmation. I like my hounds long and lean if I can get them that way. Then personality. I like the laid back ones that are attentive to you but not consumed with wanting to chew an bite your hands, shoes, clothes, etc. I like a pup to be curios and bold enough to investigate new things they encounter. I like pups that perk up when you talk to them.

Picking pups at weaning age is mostly a crap shoot in the future ability phase.

Old Post 08-16-2022 08:35 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

picking pups

Only pick a pup if you'd be satisfied with the quality of the poorest performing parent. Withhold the feed for a few hours and then pick from the ones that would rather have your attention over feed.

Old Post 08-17-2022 12:30 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: picking pups

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Only pick a pup if you'd be satisfied with the quality of the poorest performing parent. Withhold the feed for a few hours and then pick from the ones that would rather have your attention over feed.

Regarding the poorest performing parent:
This is good advice if you’re able to see both parents perform on several occasions. My guess is that it’s a lower percentage of people that are purchasing pups that would be able to make that determination based on having watched each parent on several occasions.

Old Post 08-17-2022 12:40 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

As Red Blakesley told me-

In 1984 when I went to his kennel to get my pup and he had 3 litters and over 20 to pick from: “they’re all bred to make coonhounds.” So I picked one from the female I liked the best. 4 years later I bought that female a few days before Red passed from cancer.

Now had I raised the litters and been with the pups from day one, may have been a total different story.

When I took my Dad to get his gift of a Black and Tan at Limber Lost Kennel, the same thing happen. Different litters and lots of pups so he just stood off in the corner and a male came up to him and hung around his feet and he told Ed, “guess he’s picking me”. Both pups turned out to be very good hounds.

If they’re bred right, I don’t think anything really matters on how to pick. When I keep one now out of my Running Walkers, it’s just color or I let the granddaughters pick it for me. The redbone pup I just got now, was the last one in the litter and he’s only 4 months and he looks like he has the tools😉

Old Post 08-17-2022 12:56 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Picking a Pup

I like to stand back & watch all of them to choose from. I don't want an Ugly one, and I don't want a Shy one. I don't want one where I am it's Main focus. I like to put food out & see which ones will go after the food or still trying to play......I want one of them interested in the Food & get Gritty over it.
I don't get hyped up over the titles of the Parents or how much they have Won. It's still a long shot & there is No Guarantee on any one way to pick a Pup.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-17-2022 03:02 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warn
UKC Forum Member

If I have the time to spend with the pups I usually let the pup pick me. If not I watch them for a while and puck an out going friendly pup.

Mark Warner

"HOME OF PREDAWN KENNELS"

http://www.tekonshathunder.homestead.com

Old Post 08-17-2022 04:29 PM
warn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for warn Click here to Send warn a Private Message Click Here to Email warn Find more posts by warn Add warn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Picking the best pup i ever raised was easy.He was the only pup that was left to pick.lol.Glad that happened tho.

Old Post 08-18-2022 12:06 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Once you’ve picked the litter you want to get a pup from the only thing can do is just pick the pup that catches your eye. If the breeder can’t tell you which pup will make the best pup out of the litter there is noway you can spend 5 mins with them and pick the best one. Once you get said pup to the house do your part and make sure you give it a fair chance.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 08-20-2022 09:35 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

2 cents

Select the breeder and which cross first , then pick the one with the darkest eyes.. I was told way back when that eye color was the hardest thing to keep.

Old Post 08-21-2022 04:26 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I want the Dominant pup in the litter. Sometimes it’s a male sometimes it’s a female. The pup that is always the winner of a feed bowl fight they are usually the same pup that is off roaming around by its self when let out of the kennel. Looks and the rest don’t really matter to me. Our line of dogs are usually big thick legged stout made dogs so picking one with a good build isn’t a concern.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 08-22-2022 07:45 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote