UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Working on the TREE
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Working on the TREE

Over the years I have learned that hang ups and cages are generally not the way to go and allow a pup to want to tree by sight which is obviously not a good thing.

I have a young dog here that I just love. Perfect in every way at home, goes hunting itself, smokes a track, but WILL NOT tree. Of course this is a major deal........I know from all these years that I am simply wishing here and the dog will unlikely every be a pressure tree dog with this kind of start, but that being said is there anything you would suggest to work on that tree?? Dogs is 10 months old, tons of exposure, turn outs, and hunting time.... Thanks

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:13 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Hunt him with another dog that is a solid tree dog. Don’t turn him loose at tree, tie him back. Give the other dog the coon if you have the opportunity to, but don’t let the young dog touch it. I had one exactly like you described and this helped her. I also noticed once she started treeing she was the most accurate dog that I had ever owned to this day, but I know the frustration you are dealing with Good luck!

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:41 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Pup

My uncle has a English dog he is 2 years old now last winter when we were training him he started running young like 5 or 6 months old and would do just as you described yours one night at 11 or 12 months old he treed and has trees ever since I believe your pup will come around

Old Post 04-19-2019 01:41 PM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Hunt with the older dog. I wouldn't hunt it alone until it starts treeing

Old Post 04-19-2019 02:19 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Over the years I have tried every trick you can think of. Killed a train load of coon begging a dog to tree. If they ain’t got it they ain’t got it. Move on.

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:16 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
Over the years I have tried every trick you can think of. Killed a train load of coon begging a dog to tree. If they ain’t got it they ain’t got it. Move on.

I tend to agree with this. I can never trust a dog that has to be trained to tree. They will screw you every time in a big hunt.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-19-2019 04:33 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Working on the TREE

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh
I have learned that hang ups and cages are generally not the way to go and allow a pup to want to tree by sight which is obviously not a good thing.

Your pup has to know what exactly he is supposed to be treeing. Id lead him into some trees, tie him up, knock a coon out, and then hang it up for a couple minutes. It wont hurt him a bit as long as it isn't done more than a couple times. At this point what is there to hurt? He's worthless not treeing.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 04-19-2019 06:00 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Could be just as simple as his tree switch just ain’t turned on yet. Might need to get a little older I made good money off of young dogs that didn’t tree early. When they said what did you do to get them treeing I said let them get older and kept taking them hunting.

Tar

Old Post 04-19-2019 06:59 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Thanks a ton one and all.......I have had the same experience where the dog just took the right experience on the right day to "get it".....I guess that is what makes having a dog you like most likely to get the best shot. I have had too many that I just wanted to get it over with as quickly as I could because they had one thing or another that made my nuts, mostly barking, or showing zero hunt.

If I am asking this same question next year at this time, somebody come over examine my head.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-19-2019 07:46 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big boy
UKC Forum Member

I’ve got a 11 month old female that has treed
atleast 40 Coon all by her self . When she started she was a pressure tree dog . About mid way through her 40 Coon she started leaving trees . I checked several of her trees that she left and all had a Coon in it . She may tree three on a hunt before she decides to stay , she’s been hunted all by herself. Any one have one to do this and turn around and make a pressure tree dog ?

Old Post 04-19-2019 10:04 PM
big boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big boy Click here to Send big boy a Private Message Click Here to Email big boy Find more posts by big boy Add big boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
big boy
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 04-23-2019 06:33 PM
big boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for big boy Click here to Send big boy a Private Message Click Here to Email big boy Find more posts by big boy Add big boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Could be just as simple as his tree switch just ain’t turned on yet. Might need to get a little older I made good money off of young dogs that didn’t tree early. When they said what did you do to get them treeing I said let them get older and kept taking them hunting.

Tar

I agree with Tar on this one. I personally would rather have one that Started treeing a little later than one that treed the 1st night in the woods just because the other dogs were barking up.

Old Post 04-23-2019 06:50 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

I've seen dogs in all phases do things that would make you want to give up. I've had them that would tree early and never get much better and some that wouldn't tree till much later and never got any better. We all want that one that starts everything early but more likely than not, it doesn't happen every day. Two of my best hounds never really treed good till after 15 months and just because they start treeing late doesn't mean they won't hold pressure. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, lay your young dog up for a while and try again. Also, there's such a thing as showing them too many coon at a young age. If it's in your dog it will eventually come out, it all depends on how long you want to wait. That being said, he/she may never come around, it's your call.

Old Post 04-23-2019 07:26 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

Ron

Several things as mentioned...

Switch hasn't flipped yet..

She is just stiff necked and won't look up.. Weak genes for tree instincts..

Physical problem like impacted ears …

I know a guy who waited 7 years for a dog to turn it on... He would just take him along every night and let him goof off and run around while the other dogs ran and treed. One night at 7 yrs. old he turned on and was the guys best hound BY FAR and he was truly good in all departments.... Guess what I ain't waiting 7 years...

Old Post 04-23-2019 08:03 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Took her again last night......goes hunting like a pro, drives a track, gets to milling around in a certain area, eventually goes back the way she came, go to the milling area, coon sitting there looking at me.

This is now 5-6 coon she has put up, but just won't tree. Talk about frustrating, dog does everything you would want it to do, but won't seal the deal..........but sealing the deal is what matters. I can just keep taking her, its all I can do, its pretty much the same story every night.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-24-2019 01:59 PM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Put her up for a couple months then try again.

Old Post 04-24-2019 02:29 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cody C
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Took her again last night......goes hunting like a pro, drives a track, gets to milling around in a certain area, eventually goes back the way she came, go to the milling area, coon sitting there looking at me.

This is now 5-6 coon she has put up, but just won't tree. Talk about frustrating, dog does everything you would want it to do, but won't seal the deal..........but sealing the deal is what matters. I can just keep taking her, its all I can do, its pretty much the same story every night.

Old Post 04-24-2019 04:13 PM
Cody C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cody C Click here to Send Cody C a Private Message Click Here to Email Cody C Find more posts by Cody C Add Cody C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cody C
UKC Forum Member

quote:

My 11 month old has been doing the same since about 8 months old. Can drive a track but only barks treed for a few seconds and then just mills around at the tree. If I wait long enough he works his way back on the track. If I go check the area I WILL find the coon every time. I've been hunting him alone about 2/3 of the time. Took him earlier this week with my older female now that she's no longer in heat, and his switch flipped. They treed a den on the first drop and he bark treed with her the whole time. The second drop they had the coon and he barked treed the whole time. He hasn't done that alone or with company until now at almost 1 year old.

It's like everyone has said and also told me.... keep hunting the pup and if it's in her, her switch will flip. It's hard to be patient when they're doing so good with everything except the treeing part.

Old Post 04-24-2019 04:21 PM
Cody C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cody C Click here to Send Cody C a Private Message Click Here to Email Cody C Find more posts by Cody C Add Cody C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys!! It won't be hard for me to put her up for a few months in summer. I hate trying to fight the bugs and humidity and don't know how a lot of you do it all year. I just love the spring running and wanted to take advantage of the weather and her age.

She is my only huntable dog. I have one that will turn 11 in the summer, but she is just not made to hunt with young dogs.

She turns 1 on july 4......could make for a very exciting or very depressing corn season!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 04-24-2019 05:13 PM