UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Antennas for alpha?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
D.Boyd
UKC Forum Member

Antennas for alpha?

What are the best antennas for the alpha handheld and the best for the collars?? Thanks

Gr.NT.CH. PKC Platinum Ch. Thunder’s Wild Clyde Pkc Platinum Ch.Priceless Hank Gr.Nt. Pkc Platinum Ch.Clear Creek Chief. Gr.Nt.Pkc Platinum Ch. Cabin Creek Girly Gr Nt Pkc Platinum Ch.Big D’s Little Dee Gr Nt. Gold Ch. Nkc World Ch Tree Talking Hoss Gr Nt Pkc Gold Ch. Hardwood Money Gr Nt Ch.Boyd’s Forestwood Dan Gr Nt Pkc Silver Ch History Repeat’s Itself

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-11-2018 06:20 AM
D.Boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D.Boyd Click here to Send D.Boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email D.Boyd Find more posts by D.Boyd Add D.Boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

One important thing whenever this question is asked. A person should also consider how they carry their Garmin and just how they use it. The best antenna for range might not always be the best antenna for the way they carry their Garmin.

One example. Say you always wear bib overalls. You carry your handheld in the front chest pocket of your bibs. A 14 inch flexible antenna which I think is an excellent all round antennas probably would not work for you. The reason is because even though you would be happy with the range. It would be slapping you in the face most of the night.

Not all antennas are created equal. I have cut enough of them apart to know what catches your eye on the outside. Doesn't have the internals to give you the quality tracking you want from one. The internals is what counts.

Back in 2007 when the DC 20 came out. If you were getting a half mile out of the system you were doing good.
Lots of improvement since thing and Garmin as actually improved their product to the level of many after market antennas. So on the Dog Collar the Garmin antenna works well along with several aftermarket ones. The ones you want to stay away from are the ones that are made cheap using the core of many cable leads. They are limp and won't stand up to capture the signal you need for longer tracking. Antennas with a nylon coating work best in my opinion. The sad thing about antennas is the builders have got lazy and the buyers don't really care what they are buying and are getting caught up into the advertising instead of quality. When we were selling a lot of antennas for the DC 30's and 40's we tested and made them to a specific size down to 1/32 of an inch in length of what worked best. Those days are gone. People that make them just cut the 22 inches or 24 inches and advertise them as the greatest. Anyone that has tuned an antenna for a radio know exactly how it is done and trimming the length of the antenna to an exact measurement gives the peak performance. One thing that has allowed being sloppy with the length of these antennas work is the Garmin's work on a range of frequencies and not one specific one. If you want peak performance. Once you get an antenna you like. Test your unit for range and change the frequency/ID number of your collars to see just ID works best for you.

Many people never get the range out of their Garmin's they should because the use the equipment improperly. Many of the Bear and Yote hunters use the quick disconnects so they can quickly swap back and forth between a truck antenna and a short handheld antenna. Those quick connects cost you range. Any cut or splice in a communication line affects how it works.

Old Post 12-11-2018 01:05 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Torey Wood
Banned

Bruce in amateur radio it is a cardinal sin to have a radio tx without a load(antenna). I have been looking at the quick disconnect for yote hunting like you mentioned, but should the handheld be powered down to prevent damage before the antenna is switched?

Old Post 12-11-2018 02:18 PM
Torey Wood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Torey Wood Click here to Send Torey Wood a Private Message Click Here to Email Torey Wood Find more posts by Torey Wood Add Torey Wood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I can only give my opinion here. Do the low wattage output of the unit there should not be a problem.

Old Post 12-11-2018 06:19 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

antenna for handheld unit

so in your experience bruce, which antenna's for the handheld unit seem to be the best. long and short in length. i use the dan's chest pack often so i use a shorter one alot of the time. but i hunt in steep mountains and really need to use the longer one for more range. thanks

Old Post 12-12-2018 02:42 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Buchcoonhunter. I think an ideal situation for someone like yourself is to use the shorter antenna that is comfortable for you to carry. But since you have a pouch. Carry one of the metal extendable ones that goes out to 47 inches and put it on when needed.

I don't like keeping the 47 inch one I mentioned on the handheld all the time because it is slightly heavier and if you hit a tree with it or anything you can break the sma connection on top of your handheld. That is the beauty and curse of this equipment. Everything has its pros and cons.

Old Post 12-12-2018 04:56 PM