UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Shortened heat cycles: revisited
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTitE]Originally posted by DwayneWhite
Has anyone on here ever used the new sportmix canine X?

https://www.sportmix.com/dog-food/c...tables-formula/
[/QUOTE]

My friend uses it with so far, great results.. I am raising a litter on it now, well 50/50 mix with Sportmix puppy food

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 05-10-2018 at 11:41 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2018 06:16 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Remember the female that made little milk with her 2nd litter? Look at her now... Couldn't be the dog food, could it???

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.

Old Post 05-28-2018 09:02 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Well... Hmm... 3 for 3. Go ahead and make a joke. This is Izzy. Her last litter was 3 years, 3 months ago. Jane's last litter was 2 years, 8 months ago, and Sammie? Never had a normal heat cycle.
This year, I have 3 litters, no drugs, just alot of research, gut feelings, and it has panned out.
Another friend started to feed exactly what I was feeding, SWORE by it, until her female had a 5 week heat cycle... And then 2 months later.. false pregnancy.. never being around a male.
So snide remarks, jokes, .. I expect them.. watch what is in your dog food. Enough said.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 06-21-2018 01:21 PM
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

After a year and a half of no heat cycles I switched dog foods, after reading this thread, to the sport mix feed from tractor supply about five months ago. I noticed yesterday that my female looked a little swelled, and checked this morning and she's started bleeding. I don't know how else to explain it other then the dog food. I even had her checked at the vet last fall for thyroid or other problems but everything checked out fine. Just thought I would share the results I got.

Old Post 07-25-2018 01:56 PM
muzzymomentless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muzzymomentless Click here to Send muzzymomentless a Private Message Click Here to Email muzzymomentless Find more posts by muzzymomentless Add muzzymomentless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

After a year and a half of no heat cycles I switched dog foods, after reading this thread, to the sport mix feed from tractor supply about five months ago. I noticed yesterday that my female looked a little swelled, and checked this morning and she's started bleeding. I don't know how else to explain it other then the dog food. I even had her checked at the vet last fall for thyroid or other problems but everything checked out fine. Just thought I would share the results I got.

Old Post 07-25-2018 01:56 PM
muzzymomentless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muzzymomentless Click here to Send muzzymomentless a Private Message Click Here to Email muzzymomentless Find more posts by muzzymomentless Add muzzymomentless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

My Izzy successfully raised 8 puppies, made plenty of milk. I stand by my conviction... Beware what you feed. Higher price does not mean better dog food. Chemicals are not meant to be ingested by humans or dogs. And potassium iodide is a medication to shrink the thyroid... But it us found in dog food. When you take out corn and grain, natural iodine sources, and use chemicals instead.. I am just a dumb hillbilly.. but I got 3 litters this year..

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 07-25-2018 05:07 PM
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I have a femael that was normal low thyroid got pups off her 2.5 years ago since I have tried thyroid pills ,dr Roy's extra vitamins , etc switched to sport mix food and she is bleeding now coming 12 years old , y'all belive what you want I am in full belief the food we are feeding are causing a lot more problems then most think!!

Old Post 07-25-2018 10:28 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

I agree with you all the way. It doesn't hurt that the sport mix is about half the price of the feed I was buying before either. I'll mention it also keeps the kennels alot cleaner also. No loose stool since I made the switch.

Old Post 07-26-2018 12:10 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I FEED K-9 RAGE MIXED WITH SPORT MIX 50/50 AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. BUT THERE IS SOMETHING I AM THINKING ABOUT DOING AND THAT IS SWITCHING TO A RAW FOOD DIET IN THE FUTURE WE ALREADY HAVE CHICKENS AND I GET ENOUGH EGGS TO CRACK A EGG OR 2 SHELL AND ALL DAILY ON TOP OF THE DOG FEED , AND I AM SET UP TO PROCESS DEER AND FERAL PIGS , THINKING ABOUT CROSS FENCING AROUND THE BARN AND PUTTING GOATS OUT THERE AND PROCESSING THEM FOR DOG FEED AS WELL. I WILL EAT GOAT AND SO WILL MY SONS AND GRAND DAUGHTER BUT THE REST WILL NOT. DRY DOG FOOD IS A CONVENIENCE , BUT I KNOW MY GREAT UNCLE AND MY PAPA WOULD SCOFF AT THE NOTION OF BUYING DOG FEED IF THEY WERE STILL ALIVE. JMHO

IN THE LAST 7 YEARS WE HAVE RAISED 3 LITTERS 11 FOR 11 TWICE AND 11 FOR 10 ONCE.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Last edited by Chuck Allen on 07-26-2018 at 02:07 PM

Old Post 07-26-2018 02:05 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I tried the Grain Free route for about a year and a half. I didn't think the dogs held weight as well and heat cycles weren't normal. Switched back to Pride Pro Series and the dogs looked better, females started coming in heat and I've had two litters of pups. I'm not sold on Grain Free dog food at all.

Old Post 07-26-2018 05:13 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

I am not saying the grain free what I am saying is this high dollar food we are feeding our hounds that we think is doing something better for them I believe is behimd more of today's problems then most think , jmho

Old Post 07-27-2018 08:42 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
With research that has been done. Where does Sportmix fall out in causing problems. I feed the Valupak black bag and most dogs look good on it but my buddies do not. Wish I could explain that.

I fed a dog food for many years and it was good...then several years ago I had to increase food intake so the dogs could maintain weight...I watch very closely how much I feed...I might pay more for a dog food but I also can see that I will feed less...so the price works out and the clean up is less...

once I started to increase the food to maintain weight I noticed the stools were more frequently diarrhea and hard to wash off the slab...in spite of me increasing the food intake they were not at the weight I like keeping my dogs in...I also noticed some of my dogs acted like they had ear mites but I knew they did not...they were losing hair from the side of their necks from all the scratching due to itching...

I swapped feeds and the scratching is gone and the dogs weight went back up and now I am feeding quite a bit less...I have been feeding dogs for many years so I can tell pretty quick when there is a potential problem....I also know my dogs eat considerable less in the hot summer and less at the peak of the hotter temperatures...and the opposite is true the colder it gets in the winter...

I was looking at the dog food issue from another angle...I was thinking whatever was added to the dog food was for the dogs to increase food intake...thus the dog food company would increase profit margin...but with my keen observation all that would happen is that I would change dog food companies and I hope those that do this type of business can go out of business and that other dog food makers can see what will happen to them if they don't change their ways...

Reading your posts and others on here enlightened me and so I went and looked around on the web...but for humans on account I figured it would be easier to find good data there...

Last edited by Reuben on 07-28-2018 at 06:24 PM

Old Post 07-28-2018 05:35 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Hyperthyroidism

you guys have mentioned the females not cycling as they should...What I researched mentions problems with fertility, light menstrual periods—perhaps even missed periods...and one of the causes can be too much supplementation with IODINE...What I have posted below I copied and pasted and is below paragraph (for humans but probably could apply to dogs)...

Hyperthyroidism Symptoms:

Appetite change (decrease or increase)
Frequent bowel movement—perhaps diarrhea
Light menstrual periods—perhaps even missed periods
Problems with fertility
Itching and hives
some people who consume too much iodine (either from foods or supplements) or who take medications containing iodine (such as amiodarone) may cause the thyroid gland to overproduce thyroid hormones.

Diagnosis
Hyperthyroidism is diagnosed based on symptoms, physical exam, and blood tests to measure levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroid hormones T3 and T4. Your doctor may also decide to order either an ultrasound or a nuclear medicine scan of your thyroid to see if it has nodules, or whether it is inflamed or overactive.

The actual diagnosis of hyperthyroidism is easy to make once its possibility is entertained. Accurate and widely available blood tests can confirm or rule out the diagnosis quite easily within a day or two. Levels of the thyroid hormones themselves, T4 and T3, are measured in blood, and one or both must be high for this diagnosis to be made

Last edited by Reuben on 07-28-2018 at 10:27 PM

Old Post 07-28-2018 05:43 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
I FEED K-9 RAGE MIXED WITH SPORT MIX 50/50 AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. BUT THERE IS SOMETHING I AM THINKING ABOUT DOING AND THAT IS SWITCHING TO A RAW FOOD DIET IN THE FUTURE WE ALREADY HAVE CHICKENS AND I GET ENOUGH EGGS TO CRACK A EGG OR 2 SHELL AND ALL DAILY ON TOP OF THE DOG FEED , AND I AM SET UP TO PROCESS DEER AND FERAL PIGS , THINKING ABOUT CROSS FENCING AROUND THE BARN AND PUTTING GOATS OUT THERE AND PROCESSING THEM FOR DOG FEED AS WELL. I WILL EAT GOAT AND SO WILL MY SONS AND GRAND DAUGHTER BUT THE REST WILL NOT. DRY DOG FOOD IS A CONVENIENCE , BUT I KNOW MY GREAT UNCLE AND MY PAPA WOULD SCOFF AT THE NOTION OF BUYING DOG FEED IF THEY WERE STILL ALIVE. JMHO

IN THE LAST 7 YEARS WE HAVE RAISED 3 LITTERS 11 FOR 11 TWICE AND 11 FOR 10 ONCE.

go buy a fat foundered pony save the tenderloin for your self . .

Old Post 07-30-2018 06:04 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

HORSE MEAT AIN'T BAD I LIKE IT JUST ABOUT AS MUCH AS BEEF.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 07-30-2018 03:26 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by muzzymomentless

Well going into the third week of her heat cycle and had her bred this past Saturday. Hopefully it stuck and will have pups around October 5th

Old Post 08-06-2018 11:54 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Good luck!! Alot thought I was crazy, but seems like a few are coming around.. nothing like a gut feeling from a Hillbilly's belly ... I love it when plan comes together

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 08-07-2018 12:16 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Any new info, I am gonna post. Sammie... 5 months and 8 days after her pups were born, back into heat. Remember, never a normal heat cycle for 4 years, both length and when. Before switching dog food, was 16 months without a cycle. Now, 1 normal one, then 6 months later, normal, bred, 13 pups and now, back into heat... Hmmmmmmm... Haters gonna hate..

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 09-23-2018 05:47 PM
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by muzzymomentless
After a year and a half of no heat cycles I switched dog foods, after reading this thread, to the sport mix feed from tractor supply about five months ago. I noticed yesterday that my female looked a little swelled, and checked this morning and she's started bleeding. I don't know how else to explain it other then the dog food. I even had her checked at the vet last fall for thyroid or other problems but everything checked out fine. Just thought I would share the results I got. [/QUOTE

Bred my female and shes getting bigger everyday it seems. Less then two weeks away from pups

Old Post 09-23-2018 06:59 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

Great!

Seems like all this B.S. 'top of line' grain free is causing more harm than good.All the weird supplements and preservitives they put back in is bad for dogs....period.Male or female.

I know I'll NEVER feed 'Vict' Red bag ever again.

Right now and after Pat B. on here did ALOT of dog food research I switched to Rural King Good Friends 30/20 orange bag.As close to old school dog food as you can get.$19.95 a bag.

Around 4 months.All dogs Look great,slick coats,skin dandruff is gone.Full of energy.Don't scarf it down like they are starving either.No loose stool.

Others talking about Rural King God friends 30/20
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...eadid=928509339

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 09-24-2018 at 02:23 PM

Old Post 09-24-2018 02:18 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

harleydan1956, I have a friend that has a "Puppy mill" Raises and sells hundreds of lap dogs a year. They have to swap dog food every year. They found that their females would stop coming into heat after eating the same feed for a couple of years. They have fed every feed there is and they can come back to one after a couple of years and they are fine but have to eventually swap again. They said they didnt have a problem till about 15 years ago.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 09-24-2018 03:05 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by muzzymomentless

Last Saturday my gyp have birth to ten fat healthy pups.

Old Post 10-11-2018 11:17 AM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Sammie just had another normal heat cycle. Vets will look at you and scoff.... Saying there is no documentation... But we are on to something... Congrats on your litter!

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:15 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks to this information...I was able to pass on this information to someone who's female wouldn't come in heat...he swapped dog food to a grain based cheaper food and she came in heat and was bred...

Old Post 10-12-2018 12:34 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

All my females, even the youngest gas a cycled normal heat cycle... Just saying

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-11-2019 06:26 PM