UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Anyone Hunting after Hip Replacement
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Anyone Hunting after Hip Replacement

Into 3rd week of recovery from Hip replacement. I am curious if anyone has had it and if you are having any trouble coon hunting with the new hip.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-06-2019 06:21 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

A friend of mine had his done a year ago. He is not a coon hunter, but he turkey hunts some rough country like a young man again. Good luck and hope you have the same result

Old Post 05-06-2019 06:37 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Buddy of mine did both in one setting, cost him a kill season but he has been fine since then

Old Post 05-06-2019 08:12 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback, I really didn’t know what to expect. Now the hard part, just waiting.

Old Post 05-06-2019 10:46 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1960
New UKC Forum Member

hip replacement

I've had both hips replaced in the last 2 years,I hunt 3 to 4 nights a week.I can get around a whole lot better than I could before surgery I think the trick is in physical therapy I pushed it to the limit both times.Like they say no pain no gain

Old Post 05-06-2019 11:47 PM
bk1960 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1960 Click here to Send bk1960 a Private Message Find more posts by bk1960 Add bk1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I had to have it done on my right hip due to a car wreck, I'm 31 now and goin on 10 years since I had it done, youth may have helped it some but It healed up good and hasn't bothered me much at all and I also climb poles most every day for a living. There's still times that if I move or twist a certain way I'll get a little jolt of pain, but 95% of the time you couldn't tell a difference in the good one and the bad one. Good luck on your road to recovery.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Last edited by jkidd1 on 05-07-2019 at 01:01 AM

Old Post 05-07-2019 12:58 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Had right side done in 2008. No problems so far. Just make sure to do the rehab. Don't get lazy doing the rehab. Keep it stretched and you should be fine.

Old Post 05-07-2019 05:33 AM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1960
New UKC Forum Member

agree

I agree 100% stretching is the key If physical therapist doesn't push hard enough do it yourself Good luck

Old Post 05-07-2019 12:24 PM
bk1960 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1960 Click here to Send bk1960 a Private Message Find more posts by bk1960 Add bk1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rush Run Rebel
UKC Forum Member

hip

I have been diagnosed as needing hip replacement, I am putting it off as long as possible, but it is so difficult and painful to get around.......what was your convincing moment to have it done......there is never any let up in the pain at this point.......Please advise and how long til a man can get back in the saddle and hunt? thanks

724-415-7335

Old Post 05-07-2019 12:44 PM
Rush Run Rebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rush Run Rebel Click here to Send Rush Run Rebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Rush Run Rebel Find more posts by Rush Run Rebel Add Rush Run Rebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I can only tell my experience but I dealt with it for about 4 years. Tried cortisone shot in 2017, only lasted a month. I just got to the point where it was extremely painful no matter what I did, no sleep because of pain, etc. I wanted to make it through hunting season (I would rather miss mowing than hunting). But I knew it was time when everything became a big deal to do. Doc told me to go as far on what God gave me and then get it fixed. Get ready for all “old man” jokes and comments on your walker and cane. I appreciate all the comments.

Old Post 05-07-2019 04:48 PM
bk1960
New UKC Forum Member

hip

The breaking point on me was everything was such an effort to do.When I did the first one what took longer than anything was building muscles back up that had went away from dragging around.The longer you wait the worse it is. I was walking completely without a cane on fairly good terrain in 3 weeks

Old Post 05-07-2019 05:26 PM
micooner
UKC Forum Member

My time to get it done moment came on a cold December night. Ol fred treed on the other side of a large creek. I started over walking then fell on the log. Laid there not able to move. Stayed there 10 minutes looking at freds blinking lights and at the big ol Michigan coon at the top of the tree. Ended up crawling rest of the way across. Leashed fred up and hobbled back to my truck. Well i guess it's time. Lol. One other thing, best investment i made was to buy a nice recliner lift chair. I called it my command center chair. I slept in it for around 2 or 3 weeks. It was around 4 months till back running slowly. You dont want to take any bad falls the first few months.

Old Post 05-07-2019 05:32 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rush Run Rebel
UKC Forum Member

hip joints

Thanks for all the comments, But I am a real sissy, hate the dr. stuff, and can't stand to be tied down. can I ask what age you all are? I will be 55 soon, I feel like I am too young for it, I've been in bad pain for over 2 years now, lifting my legs to get in and out of cars has to be done with lifting up with my hands. I try to sleep with pillows between my knees to help in some way, cant get out of bed very quickly, and lastly when hunting I search paths that keep me from having to step over anything, and I do shout out in pain when I step wrong......

724-415-7335

Old Post 05-07-2019 06:54 PM
Rush Run Rebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rush Run Rebel Click here to Send Rush Run Rebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Rush Run Rebel Find more posts by Rush Run Rebel Add Rush Run Rebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I was your age 55 when i had it done, just couldn't take it anymore. Doctors call it "quality of life". Had an older friend who kept putting it off. Then another health issue came up with his blood circulation and he couldn't get a surgeon to do the hip replacement. He passed unable to get it done.

Old Post 05-07-2019 07:10 PM
Creason
UKC Forum Member

54 yrs old and into my 3rd week with the new hip. Can’t wait to get back at it without the pain.

Old Post 05-07-2019 07:46 PM
bk1960
New UKC Forum Member

rush run

I was 58 when I got right hip 59 when I got left hip my only regret is not doing it 2-3 years earlier .I was like you getting in the truck had to help legs out by grabbing pants leg and pulling up. I can do more now than I could 10-12 years ago Good Luck

Old Post 05-07-2019 08:12 PM