UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup trainers?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Pup trainers?

How many of y’all start young dogs with older hounds?

How many start two pups at a time?

I have no set way, but would like to know others preferences and why you choose to do it that way.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-20-2019 03:41 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerfan
UKC Forum Member

Start 3 or 4 together and keep the leader. I have never seen a follower that wound up suiting me. I have seen several good prospects that was ruined by hunting them with an older dog. In my experience if a pup has to have an older dog to go with it it's not got enough heart.

Old Post 03-20-2019 12:58 PM
walkerfan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerfan Click here to Send walkerfan a Private Message Find more posts by walkerfan Add walkerfan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I usually have more than 1 pup going at a time but I don't take both at the same time. I love to hunt a young pup by itself but it had better be able to run and tree a coon or it's just a waste of my time and the pups. Even a pup that can tree it's own coon I find myself wasting way to many nights hunting it alone before it's really ready. But I do have very nice older dogs for pup training if I had an older hound that had any attitude at a tree even the slightest face barking I would have a different view of things.

Old Post 03-20-2019 02:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Black youve opened a can of worms here. Seems everybody has a different method. I've started a lot of pups and I'll tell you my method, The only way I put two pups together is on a released caged coon. I turn out the coon in an open field with the pups loose and let them harass it to the woods and they see it go up. Then I take them one at a time with a dog they are familiar with, preferably it's dame. If she isn't good enough to hunt your pup with then she wasn't good enough to breed in the first place. After the pup starts running and treeing with the old dog I single it out and start hunting it by itself. If it starts to slack off another night or two with the old dog then single again. It doesn't hurt to have a bucket for the first drop to make it easier then a drop in the wild. I always got more progress that way.

Old Post 03-20-2019 02:12 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I don't necessarily have what you'd call a good pup trainer. My oldest dog is a 17 month old coon treeing female, loner. So not exactly the best thing to have a pup trying to keep up with. I am fortunate enough to have a place to let my pups run loose from 6-8 months or whatever time I hear them treeing around the house. Then I take one at a time with my female. At this point they should know how to navigate the woods, looking to get treed or find something to run. If they keep up with her that's awesome, if they don't well they should be finding something to do! Many I feel like can tree coons their first night if they knew that's what they were looking for. But most do tree one by the time I've hunted them a week. To answer your question I only hunt one at a time.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 03-20-2019 02:25 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I hate to say it but I have to agree with Mr River's method. That is what I did back when I used to start pups.

Old Post 03-20-2019 02:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert that wasn't so hard, now was it? Heck I take that as a compliment. Bet you hate that too. lol

Old Post 03-20-2019 02:41 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

some of you old bafoons training BS holds about as much water as some of the young folks.

Old Post 03-20-2019 04:49 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Yeah, us old bafoons have never started or trained a pup.

Old Post 03-20-2019 05:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Hav'nt used a pup trainer or cage coon 20 yrs, but they see a lot of day time woods before I take them at night. A couple have treed day time coons all have treed something before night hunting. I start by taking them only on good nights. These dogs start easy anymore. If I wasn't in a coon Zoo I'd probably turn a couple loose but I wouldn't show the pup the coon.

Old Post 03-20-2019 06:31 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Buy 2 pups out of same litter, let them run loose till they start going off and treeing. Put them up and start hunting them by themselves. Usually the first one that goes hunting and trees a coon stays. This last time both pups i got have turned out really well, both go hunting and tree coons, their are different things about each one i dont like but i have had a tough time deciding which one to keep and which one to sell. The next one i do i am going to do something different, buy one pup, crate train it, and do all the obedience and recall training before taking them to the woods.

Old Post 03-21-2019 04:48 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Starting a Pup?

I'm sure everyone has their own method of starting pups and they probably work well. As long as the finished product is what you're looking for, there's probably no wrong way to get there. I used to think I was a pretty good pup trainer because I usually had good luck getting one from point A to point B & C with good results. Something that I was forgetting to figure in was the quality of the pup I was training. The first thing in training any pup is to get a good quality prospect. A good pup with brains that shows natural ability is fairly easy but you can waste a ton of time on one that's not gonna satisfy you. If you know anything about a quality coon dog you should know what kind it takes to get there. If you don't like something about your pup, you probably wont want to give it the attention it needs or deserves so cut it short and get another one. Some folks are harder to please than others and that's fine cause we all don't hunt with the same intensity. Use whatever method that works for you but start with a good product, I promise you'll be happier in the end.

Old Post 03-21-2019 11:27 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I’ve done drags, cage coon, feeders. Tried most flavors of the month and haven’t ended up with a sho bough coon dog yet. I’m simply going to take the new pup hunting nothing more nothing less, cut it on a bucket a few times and see what happens.

Old Post 03-22-2019 01:46 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote