UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which Event is Bigger
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Which Event is Bigger

Ok, perhaps Allen, Paul or Todd can help me settle an argument...

Autumn Oaks is a single hunt ran off in two nights. And of course the World Hunt is many nights from RQEs to the Finals, but in total, which event is bigger???

And of the two, is either the world's largest hound event, or does that title go to fox or rabbit hunters?

Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-28-2013 04:09 AM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinH23
UKC Forum Member

Going by the information available, the world hunt probably. There were a total 572 dogs entered in the top 10 RQE's alone.

Proud member of the Deer Creek Cartel

Founding Member of the BSKC. Making coon hunting great again.

Home of:

`PR` B$C Clifford (BoonexCopper)
`PR` Johnson Branch Stub (GitXCree)

Old Post 10-28-2013 01:58 PM
JustinH23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinH23 Click here to Send JustinH23 a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinH23 Find more posts by JustinH23 Add JustinH23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

If you went by the entry for one night, I'm sure it would be AO. If you went by the size of the non-hunting crowd, again AO. If you went by total entries start to finish, I'd bet it is the World Hunt.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 10-28-2013 02:50 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Autumn Oaks normally carries most single night entries, and at times the world would get the title, but then it is stretched over a longer time frame.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-28-2013 05:26 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
THOMAS SANDERS
UKC Forum Member

coonhunters and non coonhunters in one spot at one time! grand american !!!

Old Post 10-28-2013 06:48 PM
THOMAS SANDERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for THOMAS SANDERS Click here to Send THOMAS SANDERS a Private Message Click Here to Email THOMAS SANDERS Find more posts by THOMAS SANDERS Add THOMAS SANDERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

depends on what aspect of it you are referring to "bigger". the entries, how long it is, the crowd, the vendors.

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 10-28-2013 07:45 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Paul???

I'm referring to the hunt, regardless of the number of nights... so, the number of entries, is the question.

We're also assuming that either of them is the largest coonhound event, but then the question becomes, is that the world's largest hound event or does something else trump it?

Old Post 10-28-2013 08:33 PM
deschmidt27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deschmidt27 Click here to Send deschmidt27 a Private Message Click Here to Email deschmidt27 Find more posts by deschmidt27 Add deschmidt27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Thomas - does the Grand American really exceed Autumn Oaks for the number of participants? I've never been to the Grand American, but I heard a couple year's back (at the 50th) that there was upwards of 17,000 on the grounds.

Old Post 10-28-2013 08:35 PM
ed esposti
UKC Forum Member

I have attended the Grand American a couple times and made it to Autumn Oaks for the first time this year. i do not have any numbers to back it up but from what i seen the Grand American definately has more people and vendors of both Coonhunting and non Coonhunting items.

FCH GRNITECH CH 'PR' Timberjack Hardtime Bell (PKC CH)
NITECH 'PR' Timberjack Hardtime Duke (PKC CH)
'PR' Timberjack Hardtime No Mercy

Old Post 10-28-2013 08:46 PM
ed esposti is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ed esposti Click here to Send ed esposti a Private Message Click Here to Email ed esposti Find more posts by ed esposti Add ed esposti to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Sorry it has taken me all day to respond guys. I just haven't had the time until now to sit down and put the numbers up for each event.

Here are the stats for each hunt. Please note that the pre entered number is not entered into the total. I just added up how many actually hunted/showed over both days to come up with these numbers:

Grand American, Orangeburg, South Carolina
Pre Enter NH: ??
Friday NH: 323
Saturday NH: 291
Friday Bench Show: 73
Saturday Bench Show: 68
Total NH: 614
Total BS: 141
Overall Total: 755

UKC Winter Classic, Batesville, Mississippi
Pre Enter NH: 885
Friday NH: 357
Saturday NH: 344
Friday BS: 122
Saturday BS: 95
Total NH: 701
Total BS: 217
Overall Total: 918

Autumn Oaks, Richmond, Indiana
Pre Enter NH: 670
Friday NH: 298
Saturday NH: 233
Thursday BS: 156
Friday BS: 129
Saturday BS: 232
Total NH: 531
Total BS: 517
Overall Total: 1048

UKC World Championship
RQE NH: 5024
RQE BS: 1411
Zone NH: 677
Zone BS: N/A
Finals NH: 104
Finals BS: 153
Total NH: 5805
Total BS: 1564
Overall Total: 7369

This gives you an idea of how many dogs are hunting in each event. Putting the World in here with the other hunts is kind of unfair to them. The RQEs alone make up 165 separate events held over 8 months during the qualifying period.

By looking at this you also don't get the "feel" of how big the hunts are. I can't make a guess as to which one (GA, WC, or AO) is the biggest in terms of spectators. I was at all three and there were a lot of people at all of them. I also had a great time at all of them. I'll be heading back to the Grand American in January and I'm very excited to be doing so and the same goes for both the Winter Classic and Autumn Oaks. Of those three, if someone asked me to pick my favorite, I would have a hard time doing so. They are all in completely different areas of the country, with different terrain for hunting, and, though a lot of people inter lap, there are a ton of different people at each one.

I have personally thought for a long time that every serious coonhunter should make an attempt to go to all three of these events. People can type on here all day how long "whichever event you chose" is the best, but you can't really understand until you are standing in Orangeburg, Batesville, or Richmond seeing it for yourself.

Also, you can't account for the feel of the breed days either. Whatever breed you chose to hunt, you ought to make a concerted effort to go to "your" breed days when you can. There is nothing like seeing hundreds of English dogs at English Days and being surrounded by people who fancy the same breed of dog you do. I've been to many of them both before I started working for UKC and since and I can't even begin to describe the sense of camaraderie that is happening at those events. I guarantee if you go to your breed day event, and introduce yourself, you will make some friends that will last a lifetime. The same is true at the GA, WC, and AO as well. I can name people from each of these places I am looking forward to visiting with.

I hope this helps you with your question. I know I threw a lot in there at the end that doesn't really pertain to the numbers at each event, but I hope someone will read this and decide to make the trip to one of these hunts in 2014. If you've never been to a large event, you really have no idea what you are missing!

Old Post 10-28-2013 10:37 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Paul - thank you so much, that's great detail and information, and will help my argument, immensely! LOL

Do you happen to know if either AO or the World "Hunt" are the biggest hound events, or does some other sport like fox or rabbit hunting, hold that honor? I have not attended any, but I hear of some large beagle events in other registries...

Thanks again!

Old Post 10-28-2013 10:42 PM
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

David, I have no idea what the biggest hound event is nationwide. I don't think anyone else really does, either. I know in some coyote/fox trials they have ran up to 1500 dogs AT ONE TIME in a pen. I don't know if that was fact or fiction and how recent it has been. I also don't know how other registries total the number of dogs entered in their world hunt. We have specific qualifying hunts just for that purpose.

I know the St Jude's hunt bills itself as the "World's Largest Coonhunt" and I hope to see it this year. Should be a totally different experience from the others. I'm really looking forward to it as well. I'm assuming their numbers in terms of who hunted probably isn't as large as GA, WC, or AO, but they have a ton of local and regional support in terms of spectators.

Old Post 10-28-2013 10:53 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deschmidt27
UKC Forum Member

Got it... thanks again, Paul!

Old Post 10-28-2013 11:46 PM
bubbasullivan
UKC Forum Member

Grand American

I believe the grand American draws a larger crowd of non hunters. I also believe the number would grow if it was a purina event!

Old Post 10-29-2013 02:03 AM
bubbasullivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bubbasullivan Click here to Send bubbasullivan a Private Message Click Here to Email bubbasullivan Find more posts by bubbasullivan Add bubbasullivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by THOMAS SANDERS
coonhunters and non coonhunters in one spot at one time! grand american !!!

you must have never been to the Autumn Oaks. It doesn't look as crowded, because it is spread out over more area. I know the Grand has a lot of folks, but it is nothing like the Oaks crowd.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-30-2013 02:24 AM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Frederick
UKC Forum Member

how many for walker days and black and tan days hunt and show

Old Post 10-30-2013 03:09 AM
Jim Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Frederick Click here to Send Jim Frederick a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Frederick Add Jim Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawnstovall
UKC Forum Member

that is a good question what is the largest breed hunt paul.

918-961-2434
Home to:
Pr S&J's Shack's Backwoods Patches (walker)
'PR' Stovall's Black Knight Wild Willy
Past Home to:
dual grand stovall's black knight george (gone but not forgotten)
pr D&S' black little luke (1st and 3rd place wins) (davis black luke x paynes black june) gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Davis' black hutch (gone but not forgotten)

Old Post 10-30-2013 06:16 PM
shawnstovall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnstovall Click here to Send shawnstovall a Private Message Click Here to Email shawnstovall Find more posts by shawnstovall Add shawnstovall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
THOMAS SANDERS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
you must have never been to the Autumn Oaks. It doesn't look as crowded, because it is spread out over more area. I know the Grand has a lot of folks, but it is nothing like the Oaks crowd.
yessir a few times and looked to me that the ga was larger just people walking around loafing ect looked larger maybe not! and went to walker days in ohio this april and it wasnt much going on!

Old Post 10-30-2013 08:19 PM
THOMAS SANDERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for THOMAS SANDERS Click here to Send THOMAS SANDERS a Private Message Click Here to Email THOMAS SANDERS Find more posts by THOMAS SANDERS Add THOMAS SANDERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote