UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > That Yadkin River stuff ?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

That Yadkin River stuff ?

Why is it the people that love it really are dedicated to it and a lot of people got it and don't even know it !! For me they are intelegent, they are the type of dogs if you had to sell coon hides for a living you could ! And a lot of other strains have got a lot of credit but when you go to digging they got Yadkin River roots ! Nobody looks at dog papers anymore lol!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-19-2016 01:04 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar they said old timers spent more time looking at papers than they did looking at what the dog was doing. Can't take your dog into a coffee shop and talk about it but you can fill a table up with papers. Where do you think all those coffee stains on dog papers come from. One thing about todays hunters. The paper they want to see is green and has numbers on it. I know old timers will say they are ruining the dogs. At least they are getting paid to do it. We complain about the young people not making money and then when they take the same line of hounds old timers have been trying to win with for years and do it, then we complain about them ruining the dogs.

On serious Yadkin River note. Name a few of the foundation hounds of that strain. I had a couple out of Yadkin River Chico and they were pretty but nothing excited me about them. I know or at least think I do the Sackett Jr line came from them also. Think he was line bred Jeff and then HOBO's mentor Dohoney had an influence on Sacketts Jr dams side.

Dig deeper and Finley River Chief is there a few times.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-19-2016 at 02:26 PM

Old Post 11-19-2016 02:11 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce my question for you is this (now think about this ) without us old timers making the crosses , doing the training , and dissecting pedigrees those young people would not have any dogs to purchase to win all that green cash with take any high dollar winner in any redgestrie not very many were trained by the one campaigning them and that's a fact jack !! Anybody out in the real world knows it I have trained a bunch for other people to brag on but for some reason my name was never mentioned they dit it all ! What's this got to with the yadkin River stuff anyway did I say a dirty word wipeout !!!!!!

Oops you slipped that in before I did lol!!!

Old Post 11-19-2016 02:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

It has to do with your last line. You threw the part and question is about People Not Looking at Papers anymore.

We have gotten to a place and time that has changed. The foundation is built. The walls are up but they are showing a few cracks. You don't repair the cracks by digging into the foundation. You repair the cracks but strengthen the walls.

When we talk breeding first you have to realize the place in life someone is and where they plan on going.

If your a young person and have a vision for what you want then get the genetics for those dogs and breed them and build upon them by strengthening them with the genetics that are taking you on a journey. That is your breeding program.

If you are a old person, time is not on your side for a long trip. So you want to take a short SAFE trip. That is where breeding the best you can find to best you have comes in. You would be surprised how many of our foundation dogs started out on just a short trip but time didn't end the journey and after 3 or 4 generations of a man having his name if front of dogs that started out from a box of chocolates. A line of dogs was established. Once established it gave others a model or pedigree name to follow. Then they helped to promote what the chocolate factory started. Thing is during the process it was genetically narrowed to just a few types of chocolates. Hopefull the ones full of nuts were culled.

Here is a link that talks about some our dogs History. Look at Joe Houses box of chocolates. Then Lipper came along and everyone wants to recreate him. I was breeding and appreciated House dogs two generations before Lipper.
Good Yadkin info here also.

http://www.treeingwalkerhistory.com...ation_Roots.php

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-19-2016 at 03:24 PM

Old Post 11-19-2016 03:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What I was trying to figure out was is that these Yadkin River dogs just naturly the ones I have had go down a bad track like a hot one and for the most part are really accurate. I dug out my deacon dogs big papers while ago and if I read it right Yadkin River jeff and shives gold hill Lou ( lippers grandmother ) were both out of sailor Jr so there is the track speed I think Jeff was Crossed on a Carolina Casey female to make rattler I had two older friends that said casey treed coons like rats !! So there is the tree power. This old one eyed 9 yr old Grntch female out here is out of my deacon dog she absolutly makes young dogs look stupid so my argument is coon dogs are born without those passed down traits and good genetics we ain't got nothing but a big bone pile but then to fix it you got a bone collector. Of course when you go back that far you really don't know but bone does cross good on yadkinriver females.

Last edited by yadkintar on 11-19-2016 at 03:53 PM

Old Post 11-19-2016 03:44 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Slacker

Hobo where you at on this one?

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-19-2016 06:01 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 11-19-2016 06:42 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Conrad

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR

That's awesome!!!

Old Post 11-19-2016 07:22 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I wish I could post I got a picture of Delton and rattler in the same spot oh man all these memories right now Delton is not doing good all the years of friendships and the miles and the dogs I don't want to move on to somthing new I refuse to lol!

Old Post 11-19-2016 07:38 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Re: Slacker

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
Hobo where you at on this one?

He doesn't want to know what I think about the Yadkin River blood......

Although I did tell Jimmy Meeks what I thought about it last year at SETWD's.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 11-19-2016 07:41 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You don't need it yours is as good as anybody's hobo I know because back in the day I hunted some of the bloodlines your dogs carry and let it go like a dummy for the lipper dogs but I wasent the only one lol!!

Old Post 11-19-2016 08:19 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I have a little of it in my stuff now through Sackett Jr....

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 11-19-2016 08:57 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Took these

Pictures of pictures while I was out at Roberts.

Awesome!!!

Old Post 11-19-2016 09:29 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Delton with chief and rattler me with Yadkin tar rattler two I got a box full of those memories and people say you throw it away and go on to the next big thing not me !!

Old Post 11-19-2016 10:28 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

My only question is

Exactly how much influence does a dog back in the 5th generation give your present dog? I'd say less than what you want to believe. But could be more than I believe. I truly have no clue.

Last edited by novicane65 on 11-20-2016 at 02:44 AM

Old Post 11-20-2016 02:41 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
My only question is

Exactly how much influence does a dog back in the 5th generation give your present dog? I'd say less than what you want to believe. But could be more than I believe. I truly have no clue.

Genetics and the influence of various ancestors has so many variables involved that there is no way to gauge it.

Generally probably not much if the dog only appears once.

But some dogs are more dominant than others,and there is a lot we don't know.

Old Post 11-20-2016 04:16 AM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

To sombody that just buys a dog out of a bloodline and they have never hunted with any of its ansesters they might not see it. But for sombody that has raised several generations in a row you will see certain traits or qualities from one dog passed down from generation to generation. But I will say this the old saying is a coondog here is a coondog there not true always some dogs just are made for different environments better than others more coons vs less coons like down here you got to have a level headed dog with a lot of heart and determination a crazy hunting trashy dog is more trouble than they are worth down here so you breed for what works best for you if any of this makes any sense ask hobo if he can see any of his past dogs in the dogs he has now.

Old Post 11-20-2016 07:16 AM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Yadkintar, Don't let them get ya down buddy, lol
One thing we know for sure there's good and bad in all strains.
Just like ole lipper, not all worked but when you find the ones that did, they make the other stuff seem Boring

I like the Champ blood! Tar here is our last cross, talking about Sailor blood These are the pups I am holding under the Yadkin River sign.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 11-20-2016 01:30 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
To sombody that just buys a dog out of a bloodline and they have never hunted with any of its ansesters they might not see it. But for sombody that has raised several generations in a row you will see certain traits or qualities from one dog passed down from generation to generation. But I will say this the old saying is a coondog here is a coondog there not true always some dogs just are made for different environments better than others more coons vs less coons like down here you got to have a level headed dog with a lot of heart and determination a crazy hunting trashy dog is more trouble than they are worth down here so you breed for what works best for you if any of this makes any sense ask hobo if he can see any of his past dogs in the dogs he has now.

Lots of savvy in this post.

Some lines work good up north but not so good in thin coons and big hills and rough country.

Old Post 11-20-2016 01:42 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Conrad I owned a dog grch Grntch nailors Ned he was out of nailor and a tar rattler female he looked just like rattler he had some age on him when I got him only raised 3 litters out of him some sold for a lot of money they had the same qualitys as rattler offspring you did have to do a lot of dog training to see the things I have seen its hard to explain. But when rattler came along I forgot about everything else now I am long in the tooth , half bummed up and all I got is my memories. But it still pisses me off for sombody to tell me to throw it away I am living in the past I get this leg fixed I will prove them wrong again !!

Old Post 11-20-2016 01:45 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I wasn't trying to be smart or rude. I very curious. If you never hunted with any ancestors how would you be able to tell? All's you have to go by is what you see. I guess you could say I have a yadkin river dog. She has sackett jr in her 2nd and 3rd gen on bottom side. How do you know what side of the papers the dog leans towards, top or bottom?

Old Post 11-20-2016 02:18 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Yadkin, if I get my heart, pulled calf, bad knee and prostate problems under control. I will take you up on a hunt with my box of chocolates.

Don't want to make you mad but the past is holding you back more than your leg.

I had one of the best males directly out of Stylish Harry a man could want. You think I am intentionally looking for another one. Or want to line breed that nonsense. NO Too many people on here have posted how stupid a lot of them are and I think they know what they are talking about. I just had the eye and good fortune to own a nice one.

The best female I ever owned had Lipper in her more times than Lipper did. I ain't looking to line breed any Lipper hounds either.

In my early days I chose House Bred Hounds. They worked down here in the swamps and didn't park at every tree they came by, just the ones with coon in them. I had plans to breed to Shives Gold Hill Tom (in Conrads Pedigree) about the time Bobby fell out of that tree and had his horrible injury.

Thing is back when I was young and determined I had one goal. Go to a hunt and see dogs tied out or on the bench and try and determine what bloodlines they were out of by their looks. Very seldom could it be done unless they had a half white ear or head. Right then I took my studying of genetics and figured out if these dogs did not breed true to the easiest thing to breed for which is color pattern they ain't breeding true for hunting ability. So generally I agree one line of dogs will perform better in certain conditions. But if you hold all dogs from different pedigrees to a standard you will find the right dog in all of them and you have the cream of the crop of the coonhound world. This is sure a lot of work and thinking to just tree a coon that a lot of guys can do with their cur dog.

Old Post 11-20-2016 02:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

You have to know what the pure Yadkin River dogs were known for not the watered down version a true yadkin River dog is a meat dog a dog with enough nose , brains and determination to finish what it starts with exceptional accuracy without help often times destroying its competition with its abilitys not saying other strains don't have it but not as consistantly as the pure Yadkin River dogs did the founders of it did it through a lot of years of strict culling that's the best way I can explain it I love to answer questions you are not bothering me there are things in the works the flash in the pan things have about run their course kind of like the emus it was good for the ones that started it everybody wised up and went back to eating beef lol!!!

Old Post 11-20-2016 02:46 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce I am a dog trainer I enjoy it with a family of dogs having the same traits it makes my job easyer what I hunt works well in my location plus when I want to I can win with them consistantly I love our discussions you told me one time me and you really want the same thing your right but I never am satisfied that's the breeder part in me just running out of time but it entertains me lol!

Old Post 11-20-2016 02:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I am with you on the training. My two best buddies in the coon hound world do not like pups. If it wasn't for pups I wouldn't be hunting. I can handle them until they get going.
Then I have to leave it up to the young legs.

I saw HOBO on here with his show dogs and actually looked at the UKC hunt page to see if there was somewhere to show one of my dogs. Not in FL. lol I don't pay much attention to looks but mine are pretty enough for me.

Conrad please don't keep lifting Tar up. I think he is about beaten down. He will be getting a leopard cur before long.

Tar, before I go in the the negative direction, let me say this. I think because of my breeding style of best to best. Your choice of breeding to Bone Collector was A GREAT ONE!
Now here is the negative side. When the pups get here and their characteristics are different from what you have but good enough to like. What direction are you going in the future. You going to jump ship and breed for the best or water it down with the past. I think you will see some pups that are very good at treeing coon, but have different characteristics from what you have experienced in the past.

Old Post 11-20-2016 03:12 PM