UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Never had this happen before
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

Never had this happen before

I had Maggie out hunting last night and on the last dump of the night as I was walking into Mag's tree I heard a coon growling and her going crazy. Once I got in there I see Mag close to 15ft up in a apple tree fighting with a coon. The coon backed out on a narrow limb where she could just barely reach him from where she had climbed up to. The limb they were out on was'nt gonna be strong enough to support me and Mag would not back off that coon for me to get her. I did'nt know what to do. She was reaching out and grabing the coon from time to time so I did'nt want to chance just shooting the coon, then trying to get her down so I found a long branch and figured I'd just knock the coon out. Well I whacked it a couple of times and he did'nt fall. Instead it tried to run over Mag to get down the tree. Well before I could do anything they both fell out of the tree. Mag locked onto the coon and the coon locked onto Mag they hit the ground with a pretty good thud. Mag got up faster then the coon did and the fight was on again. I got Mag handled and tied back and the coon ran off. It was just a small coon probally last years kit and I was'nt looking for his fur so we let him go. One things for sure, That little coon was a scrapper. Luckily Mag was not hurt at all from the fall.
I've had my dogs catch quite a few coons on the ground in the past and I've had dogs climb trees quite a bit too, but I've never had one that climbed up the tree and was able to get the coon. Lol. It was the first time I've seen that.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Last edited by WattsFlatsRedbo on 11-03-2013 at 02:08 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-03-2013 02:00 AM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Weatherford
UKC Forum Member

Wow!

When I started to read that I was liking it till you said how hi they were. Glad she wasn't hurt. Gotta love grit. Sounds like she has got a lot. Good luck this season. Never seen that before.

Old Post 11-03-2013 02:24 PM
B Weatherford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Weatherford Click here to Send B Weatherford a Private Message Find more posts by B Weatherford Add B Weatherford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

I think some of the branches might have slowed her fall a little. When it first happened I thought she was gonna be hurt for sure. She's good to go though. Put 4 hides in the freezer last night with her in about 2hrs.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Last edited by WattsFlatsRedbo on 11-07-2013 at 03:44 AM

Old Post 11-07-2013 03:37 AM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

I had one that would trail a coon through an apple orchard, climbing trees, dropping off the end of a limb, climbing the next tree, etc. It was slow going, and he often started trails too cold to catch up to the coon that way. It was a sight to watch! He never hurt himself. He seemed to have an instinct for dropping off the limb into water, uphill, through branches that slowed his fall, etc. Occasionally he used me to break his fall. He never caught a coon in the tree, but he did once catch one on a tree stand that wasn't big enough for a fight. That coon ran across him and down the ladder...

Old Post 11-14-2013 02:51 PM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote