UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt what makes you happy!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Hunt what makes you happy!!

I have been hunting dogs for the public for 5 yrs, I have traveled to a lot of the big $$$$$ hunts from $30 entry’s to $7500 entry’s, I have hunted with the best money can buy, I have hunted with the biggest names in the business, and have had a good time with these people and these dogs, I don’t have to like their dogs and they don’t have to like mine!! They feed and water theirs and I feed and water mine!!
As long as your happy with your dog it doesn’t matter what others may think. I have found that in this business a lot of people’s hate is fueled by jealousy!! I’m not leaving myself out of this category, jealously is a feeling everyone has weather or not your man/woman enough to admit it or not is depends on where your at in life.
Some like a open mouth dog, some like a silent mouth dog, some like a chop mouth track dog and some like a bawl mouth tree dog, some like a trailing cold nose dog and some like a hot nose ambush style dog. Some like a big hunting dog and some like a dog that hunts and checks back in.
Point of this is EVERYONE LIKES WHAT THEY LIKE!! Don’t push what you like on someone else. Let them like what they like and you hunt what you like!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:19 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

But when you go to hunts your have to hunt with what you don’t like so some choose not to go. I myself am not jealous I could and have gone to hunts and set on the tailgate and listen to a good cast of dogs put on a coon treeing clinic and none of them belong to me I enjoy good dog work.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:32 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

When you go to a restaurant you see Food you don’t like too but you order what you like and the person your with gets what they like, when it’s over you get up and leave!!
Their food sets on their stomach and yours sits on yours!!
You don’t have to hunt in the hunts, you don’t have to go. But just because tar doesn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not a good one and just because he does doesn’t make it a good one either!! The world doesn’t revolve around your likes or mine either!!

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:37 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

This is interesting because for me it's always been the other way around, never satisfied with my dogs and always thinking the other guys dog was better than mine. Sell mine buy theirs and figure out the one I had was better. Never was very bright.

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:44 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
This is interesting because for me it's always been the other way around, never satisfied with my dogs and always thinking the other guys dog was better than mine. Sell mine buy theirs and figure out the one I had was better. Never was very bright.

It can go that way too, just be happy with what you have cause some don’t have nothing and what seems better may not be

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:47 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
When you go to a restaurant you see Food you don’t like too but you order what you like and the person your with gets what they like, when it’s over you get up and leave!!
Their food sets on their stomach and yours sits on yours!!
You don’t have to hunt in the hunts, you don’t have to go. But just because tar doesn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not a good one and just because he does doesn’t make it a good one either!! The world doesn’t revolve around your likes or mine either!!

Now Jason you know there are just some dogs you would just soon not draw because they are a pain to hunt with. I don’t get paid to go like you so your right I don’t have to go. Far as what I like as long as they are treeing coons I will like anybody’s dog. If they got to beating me bad back in the day I would try and own them or at least breed to them.

I ain’t telling you I like mine either.

I know what a good one looks like.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:04 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Now Jason you know there are just some dogs you would just soon not draw because they are a pain to hunt with. I don’t get paid to go like you so your right I don’t have to go. Far as what I like as long as they are treeing coons I will like anybody’s dog. If they got to beating me bad back in the day I would try and own them or at least breed to them.

I ain’t telling you I like mine either.

I know what a good one looks like.

Tar

Only dogs I don’t like to draw are those capable of beating me, I don’t care how there dog sounds or how many trees it makes, or if we see a coon up it’s tree or not. He’s got to feed that dog, not me!! I go to the hunts to win not politic, we can do that on here or on the phone. I just think it’s wrong that some people focus more on someone else’s stuff than they do there own. The word tells me that in order to see the splinter in my brother Eye i must first remove the log in mine. Same goes for the dogs!!

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:27 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Well I got to agree with you but I have the ability to enjoy anybody’s dog. I just like good dog work. I don’t have anything near what I call a coondog they just tree coons. I will hunt all night with a top notch dog that belongs to sombody I don’t know and have a blast.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:34 AM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Seems to me if a person is gonna competition hunt , he doesn’t have to like another mans dog . He just has to beat him. Don’t know ole hoss on a personal level, but I believe his attitude towards what it takes to make a dog that wins , an should I say a coon dog sets well with me. There is no replacement for the hours spent preparing a hunting dog to do what it’s bred to do. To me that’s happiness.

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:11 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some people just like the type of dog they have. If they have a silent dog, then that is what they like. Instead of trying to change the dog to suit themselves, they change their likes to suit the dog.

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:39 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just don’t put the time and effort into having better than what I got. Kinda like the topic I put on coonhunting conversations.

Do you still like to say your a coonhunter but really don’t know if you still want to be one.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:50 AM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunt what makes you happy!!

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I have been hunting dogs for the public for 5 yrs, I have traveled to a lot of the big $$$$$ hunts from $30 entry’s to $7500 entry’s, I have hunted with the best money can buy, I have hunted with the biggest names in the business, and have had a good time with these people and these dogs, I don’t have to like their dogs and they don’t have to like mine!! They feed and water theirs and I feed and water mine!!
As long as your happy with your dog it doesn’t matter what others may think. I have found that in this business a lot of people’s hate is fueled by jealousy!! I’m not leaving myself out of this category, jealously is a feeling everyone has weather or not your man/woman enough to admit it or not is depends on where your at in life.
Some like a open mouth dog, some like a silent mouth dog, some like a chop mouth track dog and some like a bawl mouth tree dog, some like a trailing cold nose dog and some like a hot nose ambush style dog. Some like a big hunting dog and some like a dog that hunts and checks back in.
Point of this is EVERYONE LIKES WHAT THEY LIKE!! Don’t push what you like on someone else. Let them like what they like and you hunt what you like!!

C’mon now Jason! That makes too much sense! I don’t think we should do that

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:14 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I absolutely agree with what you're saying. BUT, don't you think that if a person is gonna go to hunts and compete at a high level, it almost forces them to hunt a type of dog they may not enjoy hunting?

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:35 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I absolutely agree with what you're saying. BUT, don't you think that if a person is gonna go to hunts and compete at a high level, it almost forces them to hunt a type of dog they may not enjoy hunting?

Depends on what you like to hunt, I like a dog that hustles and has coon on his mind and getting one treed is his #1 priority!! This dog might be 800-1/2 a mile in just a few minutes but he will be done also.
So IF I had one like this I feel like I would be happy to hunt it and I feel like I could also hold my own st any level of competition.....I KNOW I can because I’ve done it

Old Post 07-15-2019 07:36 AM
rick golden
UKC Forum Member

Ole Hoss

Very Well said and a lot of us could learn from this.

Old Post 07-15-2019 11:52 AM
rick golden is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick golden Click here to Send rick golden a Private Message Find more posts by rick golden Add rick golden to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It isn't really the style of dog that people hate and jealousy has nothing to do with it. A lot of coon hunters want to hunt in competition hunts but they either can't or just don't want to run through the woods 3-5 miles in 2 hrs going from tree to tree. So they don't get to competition hunt and that is what they hate. When you hunt that style of dog you are effectively eliminating them from the world of big time competition coonhunting.. That is why they hate that style of dog and complain about them so much. Old Deep and Alone has forced them out of the world of competition coonhunting. Maybe that is one reason that the numbers are dwindling and the only ones left are the deep and alone dogs. People wonder why there are still a lot of pleasure hunters but they don't show up at comp hunts. Maybe that is the reason. Comp hunts aren't fun any more. You have to be a marathon runner to compete.

Hunt what makes you happy but don't force another man to try to keep up with what makes you happy.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-15-2019 at 01:39 PM

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It isn't really the style of dog that people hate and jealousy has nothing to do with it. A lot of coon hunters want to hunt in competition hunts but they either can't or just don't want to run through the woods 3-5 miles in 2 hrs going from tree to tree. So they don't get to competition hunt and that is what they hate. When you hunt that style of dog you are effectively eliminating them from the world of big time competition coonhunting.. That is why they hate that style of dog and complain about them so much. Old Deep and Alone has forced them out of the world of competition coonhunting. Maybe that is one reason that the numbers are dwindling and the only ones left are the deep and alone dogs. People wonder why there are still a lot of pleasure hunters but they don't show up at comp hunts. Maybe that is the reason. Comp hunts aren't fun any more. You have to be a marathon runner to compete.

Hunt what makes you happy but don't force another man to try to keep up with what makes you happy.

I agree 100% ! And when you walk past 3 or 4 coons setting up while your walking to ole pain in the butt deep and lonely and we are leash locked because ours treed one close !!us old doggies that hide hunted don’t believe in a
dog blowing past coons we hunted heads up the best track dog and best locater won. We didn’t have to go to all 4 corners of the earth to gather dogs didn’t have to have a tracking system either take yalls tracking systems away from you y’all would have a panic attack.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:52 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You are correct Hoss. The biggest down fall and reasons many bad decisions are made in this sport, are because of jealously.

I have tried very hard to replace jealously in my heart with respect.
I try not to be jealous of what someone wins, but respect their desire and the dog.
I try not be be jealous of how much someone can hunt. But respect them pounding the woods night after night.

I will say that when I watch some of your videos that I am jealous of what looks like good hunting land that is easy to get around in. But I have been around a long time and I know that you have been through some Hell Holes following those hounds. I respect that and respect you sharing what you are dong with other.

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:29 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

When a man/woman walks away from the cast in a bad frame of mind, it's usually more person related than dog related.

And, the "deep and lonely's" killing hunts? You do realize "they" say the same things about those cover dog babblers...right?

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:19 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Wingler
When a man/woman walks away from the cast in a bad frame of mind, it's usually more person related than dog related.

And, the "deep and lonely's" killing hunts? You do realize "they" say the same things about those cover dog babblers...right?

Us old guys aint big dummys either who you think invented this stuff the young guys are pullen? A babbling cover me dog is at least competing against the other dogs. A babbling deep and alone dog ain’t competing against nothing but the clock.

Get four of ole babbling deep and alone cover late get ate on the same cast you got .................. oh wait that’s a final four of a major $$$$ hunt lol

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:27 PM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Us old guys aint big dummys either who you think invented this stuff the young guys are pullen? A babbling cover me dog is at least competing against the other dogs. A babbling deep and alone dog ain’t competing against nothing but the clock.

Get four of ole babbling deep and alone cover late get ate on the same cast you got .................. oh wait that’s a final four of a major $$$$ hunt lol

Tar

So...you don't compete because you created the dog you don't like to compete against?

I'm not sure anyone likes a babbler, even the guy winning with one.

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:31 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Wingler
So...you don't compete because you created the dog you don't like to compete against?

I'm not sure anyone likes a babbler, even the guy winning with one.

I do still compete although I got plates and screws from head to toe lol. But I am old school I don’t hunt dogs under 3 yrs old in hunts. I had some at 15 months old dominated what I hunted them with and at three I couldn’t stand. Local level hunts I enjoy. The big hunts I run like a wounded duck and fall down all the time it’s not fun to me.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2019 03:39 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

I fear this plenty with ukc moving the direction it is. I do understand it's for the betterment of the rules and maybe even to promote better dogs to win.
But what if it is for the few elite dogs and handlers that can handle the so called betterment . In the past ukc has always been for a wide array of people and dogs of all levels of competition. Now where will the entre level be? Will it be fun or all business. Can a rookie or older fellow fit in? Will a average coonhound still be okay to take to a hunt or is it only going to be for the elite winners. You know babblers, deep and lonely, cover late get ate winners 1 way or another ,rule master type?

Old Post 07-16-2019 02:26 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I will give my take on it. I have always been and always will be a ukc supporter because I come from a time when that is all we had. Now not to sound selfish but the rules we are wanting are pretty much the rules of a kc that’s 30 miles from me but for one reason or anouther that kc has shot itself in the foot. So to put on a hunt here the guys have told me the hunt director needs to be able to hunt , tree countdown , and no leash lock , they want one hour double header mini slams. The rest of the rule changes they can care less about. It’s my understanding that the slam events ukc can change them with out the breed reps that might be the way they need to go. Now far as the money men in the sport most don’t even hunt they just need a write off and spare no expense win , loose , or draw. A working guy cannot compete with that those big players are at every hunt and there is a bunch of them so when ukc hands out the big checks they are going to be there. But take the minie slams make it a race give a little local guy a chance by supporting the small clubs a chance take the top 10 of each state. I mean ukc makes their money off that guy all year unlike the paid handlers that just show up at the big dance and then get on here and tell us all about dat lol. Bottom line I know what the young folks want they are paying the bills. But I think there is somthing for us older guys too !! The one hour minie slams.

Sorry for my rambling.

Tar

Old Post 07-16-2019 02:54 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the great insight tar.
It sounds to me like A be careful what you wish for kinda thing.

Old Post 07-16-2019 01:41 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote