UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Need to know about treering curs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

Need to know about treering curs

Like the post said I am trying to learn anything I can about them. From what I understand they are mostly a cross between cur and one of the hound breeds with leaoperd black mouth and mountain cur over plot Walker and black and tan being the most common. It seems like it gives the curs speed and brain's with the hounds range and tracking ability. What can you guys teach a green horn about them

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-18-2019 10:43 PM
Hillbilly boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hillbilly boy Click here to Send Hillbilly boy a Private Message Click Here to Email Hillbilly boy Find more posts by Hillbilly boy Add Hillbilly boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clanc
UKC Forum Member

I prefer to hunt treeing curs. Biggest thing that i like about them over a full blooded mountain cur is, they don’t seem to be as quirky. If you make the right cur x hound cross you can get the speed and brains of a cur and the drive and tree power of the hound. That is the main reason i hunt them, but i am no reason an expert.

Old Post 06-20-2019 05:20 PM
Clanc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clanc Click here to Send Clanc a Private Message Click Here to Email Clanc Find more posts by Clanc Add Clanc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

That is what I have heard. In your experience does it seem like one kind of x works better also does it seem like a male cur over a female hound works better or the other way around. I ask became I have heard of some that were good tree dogs but also had the speed and staying power to be good coyote and fox dogs

Old Post 06-20-2019 09:21 PM
Hillbilly boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hillbilly boy Click here to Send Hillbilly boy a Private Message Click Here to Email Hillbilly boy Find more posts by Hillbilly boy Add Hillbilly boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I've got 4 Treeing Curs that Plott X Mt. Cur. I've been well pleased with them. The older ones are from a Plott female (2 different crosses) The younger one is
from a Kemmer stock Cur female.

Old Post 06-20-2019 11:34 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've got 4 Treeing Curs that Plott X Mt. Cur. I've been well pleased with them. The older ones are from a Plott female (2 different crosses) The younger one is
from a Kemmer stock Cur female.

Does there seem to be much different between the mountain cur and kemmer also are they half cur half hound or more cur or more hound

Old Post 06-21-2019 03:15 AM
earl blevins
UKC Forum Member

i like walker x cur for coon

Old Post 08-03-2019 04:17 AM
earl blevins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for earl blevins Click here to Send earl blevins a Private Message Click Here to Email earl blevins Find more posts by earl blevins Add earl blevins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hillbilly boy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by earl blevins
i like walker x cur for coon
what kind of cur do they seem to be faster then the pure hound

Old Post 08-03-2019 06:17 AM
earl blevins
UKC Forum Member

i dont think they are faster than hound just a lot smarter

Old Post 08-03-2019 04:30 PM
earl blevins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for earl blevins Click here to Send earl blevins a Private Message Click Here to Email earl blevins Find more posts by earl blevins Add earl blevins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Cur/Plott

Just made a cross looking forward to see how it turns out, crossed my male Mnt Cur with a Plott female.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 09-20-2019 05:05 AM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote