UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Favorite time of year to hunt
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Favorite time of year to hunt

Whats your favorite time of year to hunt? I enjoy lake December and January here in North Carolina. The leaves are gone, the deer hunters have gone home and the snakes are in tje ground. Coons are usually stiring good unleas we get a big cold front.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2019 10:13 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wildcat3

Late November, December and Jan. for the same reasons you stated. Dave

Old Post 11-17-2019 10:40 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Favorite time.

After a good killing frost/freeze. Usually mid October though March. No bugs no leaves on trees or under brush. Can hear the dogs better when they open. And they get more accurate. More fun to look at eyes than leaves.

Randi

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:32 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Right now.
I've been out of a dog for awhile but this time of year is when I get the itch worse than any other. Hardwood mast coming off, leaves are mostly gone, snakes and ticks aren't an issue. Weather is pleasant for a man to stretch out through the country, and the time change allows a working guy to hunt a few hours and still get a little sleep.

My second favorite is that first halfway warm snap in the spring, when the frogs sing like crazy in every low wet spot, and you finally get to leave your heavy jacket at home.

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:40 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I used to want to stay out all night this time of year. Now go tree a couple back to the house a warm shower and a snack and a warm bed works for me.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:47 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Dang that sure sounds a lot like me, 2 to 3 hour hunt, warm shower, snack and bed. You think that might be the reason why you and I are getting fatter. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:19 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I like March and April here in Ohio. The coons move a lot because they have used all the stores fat, the food sources are hard to find so they are covering ground and the leaves are all off. November and December still have a lot of deer ticks in the nymph stage in our area and the coons are fat and a bit more fickle as to how they feed. With all that said , I still like to go when ever possible

Old Post 11-18-2019 01:36 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I like March and April here in Ohio. The coons move a lot because they have used all the stores fat, the food sources are hard to find so they are covering ground and the leaves are all off. November and December still have a lot of deer ticks in the nymph stage in our area and the coons are fat and a bit more fickle as to how they feed. With all that said , I still like to go when ever possible

I agree! Spring time is the best time

Old Post 11-18-2019 01:45 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
I agree! Spring time is the best time

I would enjoy hunting more if that Corey Gruver kid would come take me to braums and buy me that root beer float he owes me lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I think you've been drinking too many of those "hard" root beers

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:29 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

When there are no leaves on the trees and no snakes on the ground.

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:30 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

For us down in North FL. The best time is now until it gets hot in the summer. The bug population is decreasing, the snakes are getting slower, the leaves are getting thinner along with the under brush. The Humidity is down which a big plus and the temperatures are about perfect till about march or april. Only a couple things to dodge until now and summer. The spring Turkey hunters a few days in the spring time and those nights, maybe one or two when the temperature might get close to 30*. Other than that. All excuses have been removed from my long list.

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:36 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I like this time year because nothing prettier on cold clear night than hearing big tenner bawl mouth ringing threw hills and hollers. But also like spring when it's just warm enough the coon are hitting the creeks and ponds. Tree lots coons in spring time.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 11-18-2019 04:05 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote