UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Joy dog food
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jeff poff
UKC Forum Member

Joy dog food

Whose feeding joy how is it and what formula thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2022 12:37 PM
jeff poff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeff poff Click here to Send jeff poff a Private Message Click Here to Email jeff poff Find more posts by jeff poff Add jeff poff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tillery
UKC Forum Member

I have been feeding Joy for about 6 months now. I feed the Super meal 30/20 and the High Energy 24/20. Dogs seem to love it, clean up is minimal, coats are slick and shiny, dogs are hunted hard 3 to 4 hours a night about 5 nights a week and hold up well on this food. I have zero complaints with it so far.

Relentless Hounds Kennel

NITECH PKC CH 'PR' Nocturnal Insane Train
NITECH 'PR' Nocturnal Bigfoot
'PR' Yadkin River Bank

Old Post 11-17-2022 03:31 PM
Tillery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tillery Click here to Send Tillery a Private Message Click Here to Email Tillery Find more posts by Tillery Add Tillery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

I feed the 24/20 to a 9 month old pup she gets hunted 2-3 nights a week. It isnt super hard hunting, but she seems to be a hard keeper and I was having trouble putting weight on her. After a couple months she is filling out good.

Old Post 11-17-2022 04:25 PM
Matt Souders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Souders Click here to Send Matt Souders a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Souders Find more posts by Matt Souders Add Matt Souders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I fed joy for many years and was always a good food. A few years back the place I got it went out of business. I tried several kinds and never found a better one. Right now I feed hi standard which is owned by same people. Some of the Hi standard formulas are exactly the same as the joy (that came straight from chip Koser) . Joy brand has a few more choices and some with different ingredients. With all that said I feed the dogs I’m hunting 24/20 and the 30/20 hi standard depending on what they seem to need and what the weather is. They do well and I’m satisfied with it. If joy was just as easy to get for me, I would use it, hi standard is pretty close to the same and in some formulas it is the exact same. Hope that helps

Old Post 11-17-2022 07:02 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Joy dog food started in 1953 and was purchased in 2011 by Hi Standard. Formulas are about the same but have heard that Joy standards are higher for the quality of the ingredients. I've been feeding Joy for about a year now believe it a very good dog food. I was feeding Native before and was unable to get it anymore in this area. I think it was a little better than Joy. Tried a couple of other brands none I liked until I found a dealer in my area that started handling Joy closest thing I could find to Native and about $15.00 a bag cheaper. I feed 26-18 and 24-20. I wouldn't switch From Joy to any other dog food. Just my own opinion.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 11-17-2022 09:38 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Joy

I fed it back in the 90's and wasn't happy with the results. Haven't even thought about trying it again other that checking on the price of a bag of their Puppy Food.....$48 + tax.......Nope Not Happening.
I will stick with Purina and not just because of the Price.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-21-2022 12:03 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeff poff
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt

Old Post 11-21-2022 12:05 AM
jeff poff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeff poff Click here to Send jeff poff a Private Message Click Here to Email jeff poff Find more posts by jeff poff Add jeff poff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Joy

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I fed it back in the 90's and wasn't happy with the results. Haven't even thought about trying it again other that checking on the price of a bag of their Puppy Food.....$48 + tax.......Nope Not Happening.
I will stick with Purina and not just because of the Price.
Tim

Tell you what. Try it on one dog for an entire bag of feed. Feed about 20% less for about a week of either the High Energy or Supermeal, see how the dog is doing weight wise and and then adjust the amount you are feeding from there. If the dog doesn't do just as well or better with kennels that are just as clean if not cleaner I will send you a payment for whatever you have in the feed.

Old Post 11-21-2022 12:09 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Joy

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Tell you what. Try it on one dog for an entire bag of feed. Feed about 20% less for about a week of either the High Energy or Supermeal, see how the dog is doing weight wise and and then adjust the amount you are feeding from there. If the dog doesn't do just as well or better with kennels that are just as clean if not cleaner I will send you a payment for whatever you have in the feed.

Sounds like a fair deal and I appreciate it....But if I feed it & not happy with it then will just chalk it up a try.
I think I will try it though and see what I think.
Thanks
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 11-21-2022 01:23 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Joy

quote:
Sounds like a fair deal and I appreciate it....But if I feed it & not happy with it then will just chalk it up a try.
I think I will try it though and see what I think.
Thanks
Tim

Sounds good Tim. Just shoot me an email at josh@joydogfood.com or a text at 660-365-0209.

Old Post 11-21-2022 01:38 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joy

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Sounds good Tim. Just shoot me an email at josh@joydogfood.com or a text at 660-365-0209.

I meant it to say.....don't need/want you to.pay for my bag of feed.
I will pay for it & give it a shot....But I do appreciate the thought and even more in the confidence you have in Joy feed.
I tried some Hi-Standard about 20 yrs ago....the Purple Bag & it was some of the Best I had seen.....then I couldn't get it around here anymore. That's what makes me reluctant to use anything except Purina....just so easy to get.
Thank you Josh.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 11-21-2022 03:16 AM
johnny altman
UKC Forum Member

Tim , I promise if you try it you will be satisfied. I have seen it cause the pickiest people switch. And I dare anyone to find a better puppy food. Bred your female, after four weeks start feeding her "JOY" puppy food. She will have more and better milk than you ever seen. You won't have to give her vitamins or goat milk or anything.

www.altmanspressurewash.com

Old Post 11-27-2022 01:04 PM
johnny altman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny altman Click here to Send johnny altman a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny altman Visit johnny altman's homepage! Find more posts by johnny altman Add johnny altman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny altman
UKC Forum Member

Tim , I promise if you try it you will be satisfied. I have seen it cause the pickiest people switch. And I dare anyone to find a better puppy food. Bred your female, after four weeks start feeding her "JOY" puppy food. She will have more and better milk than you ever seen. You won't have to give her vitamins or goat milk or anything.

Old Post 11-27-2022 01:04 PM
johnny altman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny altman Click here to Send johnny altman a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny altman Visit johnny altman's homepage! Find more posts by johnny altman Add johnny altman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Joy

quote:
Originally posted by johnny altman

Going to give it a try with one bag, closet place to get it is 30+ miles.
Instead of the Puppy.....thinking of trying the Supermeal, will that be ok for a 4.5 month Pup or should I get the Puppy Food ?
Thanks
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 11-27-2022 01:08 PM
johnny altman
UKC Forum Member

That will be great

Old Post 11-27-2022 04:54 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I've tried a couple bags of Joy's supermeal. I do like it. Feeding about 20% less than I was- while the temperatures have been very cold here- usually I would have been increasing feed by 10%. This is a big 80 lb. dog. Hunting moderately last few weeks, not real heavy, but not sitting in the kennel all week.

So for a big dog, in some really cold temps, still getting hunted... to be-able to reduce feed by 20% is fantastic. He looks really good on it- kennel waste / cleanup is slightly better than what I was feeding (Purina One). His energy levels seem good.

Old Post 11-27-2022 05:23 PM
houndsound is online now Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Joy

quote:
Going to give it a try with one bag, closet place to get it is 30+ miles.
Instead of the Puppy.....thinking of trying the Supermeal, will that be ok for a 4.5 month Pup or should I get the Puppy Food ?
Thanks
Tim

Supermeal will work just fine.

Old Post 11-27-2022 06:50 PM
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Joy

I liked the 24/20 real well but up here in Michigan the ton price just went to 42 dollars a bag, that’s a little steep in my opinion but it is good dog food

Old Post 11-27-2022 09:01 PM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny altman
UKC Forum Member

sadly ALL FEED is steady going up. and i dont see it stopping. no dog food company makes the ingredients, which is where the problem is. and trust me NO one in the dog food business is making any more money. starting first of the year several brands are going to only make two or three formulas because of it being hard to get ingredients. back in the spring diamond pet food wrote a letter and ask every dog owner to sent a copy of it to their sentors. people thats how bad this problem is.

Old Post 11-28-2022 01:42 AM
jeff poff
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt

Old Post 12-17-2022 04:50 PM
MidnightRider
New UKC Forum Member

Does it come in 50 pound bags?

Old Post 12-17-2022 11:05 PM
MidnightRider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightRider Click here to Send MidnightRider a Private Message Find more posts by MidnightRider Add MidnightRider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

I used to feed Joy in the late 80’s and liked it,
But can’t find it now in the Wilmington NC area

Old Post 12-18-2022 04:24 AM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Never had much dealings with Chip Nor the new owner but met Mr.Russ Kosher every year at the Pkc World as far back as when it was at Mayfield Ky..He treated me a snot nose kid exactly the same as some of the well renowned dog men of that era..Started selling it in 1986 and sold it for quite a few years..Fed it along time then It kinda faded out around here..Im glad to see it back and satisfying a bunch of folks as what Im sure was Mr.Kosher goals..Never has been anyone that has done more for youth programs in our sport..Alot of folks around here are feeding it and seem quite satisfied which is a mark of a good feed..Hope to see Joy Dog Food around for a very long time coming.

Old Post 12-18-2022 02:29 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Why not just feed the best and forget about all this stuff. Pro plan sport 30- 20. Best feed bar none!!!!

Old Post 12-18-2022 11:46 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

When Joy first showed up in my neighborhood it came with high referrals from some good dog men. However unless the ingredients have been changed since then it had so much soy in it my dogs could crap through the wire from three feet away. One thing about that is if everybody liked the same thing there wouldn't be but one brand.

Old Post 12-19-2022 02:51 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote