UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Line breeding to Big Country
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Traye Hearn
UKC Forum Member

Line breeding to Big Country

I’ve got a female that I’m considering breeding that’s dam is a letter mate to Big Country so it would be a full uncle x niece cross. Is that to close of a cross or is it something that’s desirable?

————GRNITECH DOUBLE SPRINGS BODACIOUS
——GRNITECH GOODSONS ROWDY BOCEPHUS
————GRNITECH DAVIS’S WHITE RIVER SALIN SADIE
—GRNITECH BIG COUNTRY
————GRNITECH MCDONALD’S HAT CREEK D-CON
——GRNITECH SHELTON’S COTTON OXY
————GRNITECH SHELTON’S TALLY HO

PUPS

————GRNITECH SMILEY’S RAMBO II
——GRNITECH HEARN’S BLUE BRUMMY
————NITECH SMILEY’S CRYSTAL BLUE
—NITECH(5 wins towards grand) HEARNS BLUE MAYBLE
————GRNITECH GOODSONS ROWDY BOCEPHUS
——GRNITECH IN YOUR FACE KATE
————GRNITECH SHELTON’S COTTON OXY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:27 AM
Traye Hearn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traye Hearn Click here to Send Traye Hearn a Private Message Click Here to Email Traye Hearn Find more posts by Traye Hearn Add Traye Hearn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If she is a decent gyp I would breed her to big country...I would be excited about the potential...

Old Post 07-02-2020 03:53 AM
Reuben is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traye Hearn
UKC Forum Member

She can hold her on or I wouldn’t even consider breeding her. I’ve bred good dogs in the past but never any line breeding and wasn’t sure how close you can get before it’s to close.

Old Post 07-02-2020 05:36 AM
Traye Hearn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traye Hearn Click here to Send Traye Hearn a Private Message Click Here to Email Traye Hearn Find more posts by Traye Hearn Add Traye Hearn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Breeding

It should be an excellent cross with that pedigree, but any breeding is a hit or miss deal. Dave

Old Post 07-02-2020 06:30 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Just had the super stakes he has pups old enough to be there. ............. all walker dogs won it.

Tar

Old Post 07-02-2020 12:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Just had the super stakes he has pups old enough to be there. ............. all walker dogs won it.

Tar

Let’s look at the big picture...

First...I see your statement as insinuating that big country isn’t producing...and yes it could be true...

But let’s take a look at the super stakes...you said all were walkers that won it...

And some of big country pups were old enough to compete...apparently none of his pups won...

So to make it fair...how many Walker pups were available to compete? In other words how many pups in the surrounding area that were hunted had potential? Competition hunters won’t enter a pup unless they think they have a good pup or a pup that has a chance to win at some point in time...and that number could be pretty high...

How many pups from big country had the same opportunity?

If we knew those numbers we would be able to put a percentage on big country and the walkers pups...chances are it wouldn’t be a fair comparison...

I know I have read many comments on here about what an awesome dog big country is...it seems he is a crossbred hound Bluetick x Walker if I remember correctly...

I think because his pedigree is considered to be an open pedigree it makes sense that he should be bred to his daughter especially if she is a good one as already mentioned...the chances are pretty good to get some exceptional pups from this cross...if I have my information wrong I sincerely apologize...

Old Post 07-02-2020 02:19 PM
Reuben is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Didn’t see tar there with anything either.
Recon his opinion on cross means nobody needs to breed to BC. I’ve never got to hunt with BC, but respect a lot of the folks that have and what they have said,, I wouldn’t mind trying one from him. The cross your thinking on making, in my opinion,, would be nice one to try. But,, I only been around sport about 30 years,, don’t have nowhere near experience that the great Tar has.

Old Post 07-02-2020 02:46 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote