UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How good is a dead loner?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

How good is a dead loner?

IMO.... maybe, JMO... How good are they? Thy gets by themselves, but are they good enough to beat 3 others to the tree and be right? Did they tree kitten pop up? Are they hot nosed to where they usually don't miss?
You walk 1,000-2,000 yards the opposite direction to a coon, then back to the others. Used to be you comp hunted the same dog you turned loose during coon season. I hunt year round, Sub zero, snow,.... And at my age, I need a dog that will get theirs and part of yours, no matter the weather conditions. Don't get me wrong, If mine has something going on, stick with it, right or wrong, but if not, cover and possible tree the coon first.
If you enjoy hunting them. So be it. But without any kind of measuring stick, just how good are they?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-18-2018 12:46 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don't want one but like you if I can get a piece of yours and one by myself I have a better chance of winning. I think the big purse hunts are what started it. I like good heads up dog work even if I don't own the dog that's how I have picked what I wanted to breed to through the years.

Tar

Old Post 05-18-2018 01:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

In thin coon country and there accurate they will drill your eyes out 8 of 10 times I hunted a few and I likem have one now he will tree out of the box or go to where ever he has too. Some ppl don't likem some do I dont want a me too dog I like hunting by myself alot and dont like them to piggy back another dog but like I said it's all in preference

Old Post 05-18-2018 01:41 PM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If your going to play the game serious you got to have one but it put a lot of us old folks on the bench the other night we had to walk 1 1/4 one way pleasure hunting took us almost an hour each way when we got there it was never mentioned to cut them again lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-18-2018 01:57 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some are better than others. They are "good" at what they do. Your question is like asking how good is an Apple compared to an orange.

Old Post 05-18-2018 02:26 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Tar buddy I feel.ya it wont be long I wont likem like that either haha

Old Post 05-18-2018 02:33 PM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by S.Davis
Tar buddy I feel.ya it wont be long I wont likem like that either haha

I don't travel no more much but you still hunt in the hunts do you ever encounter a dog that's independent that just takes their coons as they come to them no culling tracks layups, cold tracks ect. These guys down here still hunt the old style of dogs but seems like they still have a lot of success when they go to town they are independent only at the right times if that makes sense.

Tar

Old Post 05-18-2018 02:46 PM
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Yeah tar I understand ya.i think coin hunting is changing from.whatbwe grew up from so we will adapt or lose hunts if we comp hunt I can deal with them goin I hate babbling more than anything

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:03 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I like a competitive dog. I don't want them operating any different in company then they do alone. If something isconsistently beating them to a tree iI'll get a better one. I don't wanna walk the opposite direction from everybody else just to have first tree. I won't hunt one that needs any help but I won't hunt one that won't work with dogs either. And if I wanted to hunt in that subdivision 1.5 miles down the road I woulda turned loose there lol.

And Tar, I agree, the big money purses are a big reason many people want them that way these days and being allowed to use the Garmin on a cast helps them be able to find those stray missilesin the next zipcode that likely woulda been outaa the pocket and scratched 10 years ago. The game has changed.

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:20 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I mostly just pleasure hunt now but about the third trip walking a mile to a dog seeing multiple coons setting up behind it that third time I won't be walking back out with nothing but the collar.

Tar

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:33 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I got one that's been beat a lot

They don't have to be a mile to be alone.

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:40 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I got one that's been beat a lot

They don't have to be a mile to be alone.

You're right but it seems if they're a mile away in ambush mode there's a lot better chance the coons not gonna be in a den

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:48 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
You're right but it seems if they're a mile away in ambush mode there's a lot better chance the coons not gonna be in a den

Those type aren't as common as people think

Old Post 05-18-2018 06:44 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion there is 2 types of independence. Dogs that pay no attention to what the others are doing and then there's the ones that simply run away from anything around them. The 2nd type will ruin a cast. I call these types of casts dog hunting. Usually the cast is either walking to the hiker and walking away from yours or vise versa.

Give me the 1st type and I like my chances. I will win a decent amount and I will shale your hand when you beat me.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 05-18-2018 07:22 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Hoosier Man 1. Thats what l like to hunt.

Old Post 05-18-2018 07:58 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
In my opinion there is 2 types of independence. Dogs that pay no attention to what the others are doing and then there's the ones that simply run away from anything around them. The 2nd type will ruin a cast. I call these types of casts dog hunting. Usually the cast is either walking to the hiker and walking away from yours or vise versa.

Give me the 1st type and I like my chances. I will win a decent amount and I will shale your hand when you beat me.

Trevor, I think you've hit the nail on the head!

I prefer that first type as well. I don't get out much, so my perspective is extremely limited, but that first type of hound doesn't seem to exist in bunches

My biased opinion may have something to do with being old, fat, & having arthritic knees too

Bottom line, no matter the type of hound, if it makes you smile more often than not & brings you enjoyment, you're blessed!

Dan, you make a good point, there is no way to know how good they really are if they are always alone. On the flip side, if that is the style of dog you are after, then you really don't care about how good they are relative to others, just that they are quick about what they do & good about having those groceries when they park.

Good Thread!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 05-18-2018 09:01 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

When they are always struck for a quarter like mine, they have to be first or alone or you are going to have a hard time winning anything. Preferably alone so the strike never opens back up

Old Post 05-19-2018 05:23 AM
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

What i hate worse than huntin in a cast where digs are split up is one where they all are on one tree, covering each other as soon as one looks up, most of these cast turns into a calling contest and handlers calling for position versus where their dog actually tree.

Old Post 05-19-2018 12:34 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

But if you got a coondog he is there treeing way before the others backing him giving you plenty of time to get first tree. I love a dog that after all those others get their babbling out of the way gets struck on a real live raccoon and goes to hitting here and there then most of the time get to were he last barked he ain't there no more directly he comes treed 500 yards ahead of them plus him up about twice in a cast of that the rest are done !!

You can't me too off a coondog.

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 12:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have seen us go from pack dogs to what we have today. I will say that back in the early 80's it was fun to judge a cast. Then the dogs started going different ways and all the rules that were simple became complicated real fast.
Back in the 80's you started to see maybe one dog in a cast start to be the independent one. Usually he was the cast winner as the pack was getting circle trees or talking themselves into slick trees, while the loner had the meat. First example of this that has stuck with me for a long time is the Pee Dee Casey dog from SC. Think it was the NKC world hunt back in the 80's maybe early 90's held down here in Lake City, FL.
My dog and two others packed all night and I was the guide so we hunted where I normally hunted. The pack treed circle and slick all night. Pee Dee Casey I think treed 3 single coon with the meat. He didn't leave the country to do it. He had the brains and ability to do it all around the pack dogs. The most independent dog I ever saw was Adios Eagle but I didn't like his long range style. He was a top hound and 2 time National Champion but down here he just hunted to far. I joked many times he was the only dog that could out hunt the range of my wildlife tracking system.

Hoosier Man1 kind of hit the nail on the head in my opinion and I can give you a prime example of it. I had a young dog out by itself about a week ago. I cut it down a creek and it was working a bad track about 100 yards from me. I deer hound happened to crank up on a hot deer just behind me and I started to sweat thinking my young dog would quit what he was doing and join in the deer race. I eased towards my dog and caught up with him trying to trail around the creek paying no attention to the deer dog. I caught him and when I broke his concentration on what he was doing and thankfully put him on a leash. He heard that deerhound and about pulled me down trying to get to him. Thats the independence I want in a hound. One doing his own thing and concentrating on his own track and with experience he should only get better at it.

Old Post 05-19-2018 01:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Treed

The days of taking multiple dogs to tree a coon are long gone. A single tree should be a single dog. Majority of the time if there are more than one dog on a tree one treed the coon and the others are just me tooing. If hide prices were high would you want to walk to three trees with coons on one tree with three dogs?

Old Post 05-19-2018 01:16 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Well last nt mine went 700 yards behind us a treer a coin dead lalonde with a coon behind a house the other dogs went and treed a couple singles also it's all in preference what style dog ya like to hunt

Old Post 05-19-2018 01:29 PM
yadkintar
Banned

What people don't realize is most of what they call dead loners run the edges and find a hot pop up ain't no way you can be a mile in ten minutes most of the time you just hear them treed dog can't of hunted that ground in that amount of time. A certain dog I raised and owned and his son had high scores for a lot of their wins I can think of several times the had around 750+ closest dog in the cast had about 200+ and we could almost still see the truck from the last tree. But both could go deep and make things happen if need be !! A superior dog will shine all around a bunch of hitch hikers that blowing deep and getting treed with a babbling first strike is a strategy it is just to work the clock in a cast win to advance senerio!!

Tar

Old Post 05-19-2018 02:05 PM
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Loner

Who says a loner has to be treed at a mile? More times than not it becomes a handler competition on who is the best at pitching their dog or who can call the fastest. Just because you get to old or out of shape doesn't mean the game should change to fit your health. When athletes can keep up they retire and become commentators. This is a prime opportunity for people that love the sport of to become master of hounds or cooks. Most of the problems that occur on a cast are due to people worrying about what someone else is leading when theirs is not that solid.

Old Post 05-19-2018 02:46 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjennings
UKC Forum Member

Do away with the leash lock rule, still score dogs in order, see how many go back to hunting one that will tree em close.Deep and lonely will burn up the hunt time but if your treed back in they have to score your tree. What guy's don't realize is at a bigger hunt your guide has carried dog's to the same spot early and late for a few night's in a row. Your gonna need a hunting dog to find his own new hunting territory sometimes.

Grntch ch Goldch Tree Shakin Jed
Grntch Silver ch Stylish Dirty Dave

Old Post 05-19-2018 02:55 PM
mjennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjennings Click here to Send mjennings a Private Message Find more posts by mjennings Add mjennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote