UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > paralysis on a dog from coon
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
timevans
New UKC Forum Member

paralysis on a dog from coon

I am in need of some help here. How does a dog act when they have coon paralysis? and what can I do for it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-05-2012 04:21 AM
timevans is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timevans Click here to Send timevans a Private Message Click Here to Email timevans Find more posts by timevans Add timevans to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stick
New UKC Forum Member

not really sure if that is the issue or not. I have a gyp that is having issues with her hind legs. She wants to go hunting, but it's like her back half can't let her go. She doesn't seem to be hurting from it. If anyone has any type of suggestions on what it could be please let me know.. Thanks!!

Old Post 12-05-2012 04:38 AM
Stick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stick Click here to Send Stick a Private Message Click Here to Email Stick Find more posts by Stick Add Stick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

coon hound paralysis-the cause of this disease is unknown.it is believed to be an immune mediated disease with antibodies directed at the dogs own peripheral nerves. the agent triggering the immune reactions may be a virus or bacterica. it occurs most often in hunting dogs one or two weeks after haveing had contact with a racoon. paralysis begins as weakness in the hindquaters and progresses forward until the dog is unable to stand.during this time the dog remains anxious but aleart.the paralysis can affect the muscles involved in respiration and swallowing.it reaches its peak in ten days. treatment-good nursing care is the main treatment.full recovery may take weeks to months.

Old Post 12-05-2012 06:07 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

I swear they should make this subject a "sticky" thread during the fall.
Do a search of this site and you will find much information regarding the issue.

Old Post 12-05-2012 06:14 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

You will have to turn your dog constantly as the illness develops. The dog won't be able to turn himself. We lost our dog Joe because he couldn't breathe. Most dogs recover, but are never the same. Give liquids with a syringe without the needle. Be prepared for a mess. Keep dog warm.
These are lessons learned at my house. Good luck.
Starts at the back and progresses to the head of the dog.

Old Post 12-05-2012 01:22 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Kohl
UKC Forum Member

I commented on a post about paralysis a few months back but somehow cant find it this a.m.... I have had alot of experience over the years with it unfortunately. You will need to go to either a vet or a vet supplier & get steroids such as Prednazone to give the dog. The most recent one I had to deal with was at the point he couldnt even stand up on his own so i also had to stretch all the joints in his legs by bending them frequently. I also put a towel under the dogs belly & walked him around the yard several times a day so he could do his business(like carrying a suitcase). Like I said this dog couldnt use any of his legs though, so in your case ( if it is paralysis) it dont sound like the dog is that bad as of yet. Mine came out of it & functioned @ 100% about a wk later. Good Luck to you! Hope this helped

Old Post 12-05-2012 03:00 PM
Justin Kohl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Kohl Click here to Send Justin Kohl a Private Message Click Here to Email Justin Kohl Find more posts by Justin Kohl Add Justin Kohl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

had one get it along time ago, kept her in the house, fed her chicken noodle soup, teaspoon at a time, it was messy, but we got her through it, til she got strong enough to go outside. she was fine after that but after that i tried to shoot every coon dead so she would not get bit! she was down for almost a month but she was worth it!!! Good luck with yours!!!

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 12-05-2012 04:42 PM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne
had one get it along time ago, kept her in the house, fed her chicken noodle soup, teaspoon at a time, it was messy, but we got her through it, til she got strong enough to go outside. she was fine after that but after that i tried to shoot every coon dead so she would not get bit! she was down for almost a month but she was worth it!!! Good luck with yours!!!

As I read this thread, that is what I am thinking. How many of you really believe there is any benefit to not harvesting these coons out dead, with one shot? I know sometimes it does not work that way but for anyone to try to purposefully do it any other way makes no sense to me.

Old Post 12-05-2012 11:14 PM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

Some recover some don't.

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Old Post 12-06-2012 12:20 AM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by garminguru
As I read this thread, that is what I am thinking. How many of you really believe there is any benefit to not harvesting these coons out dead, with one shot? I know sometimes it does not work that way but for anyone to try to purposefully do it any other way makes no sense to me.

If most hunters were anything like me they wouldn't have to worry about it, take the banana clip and unload it and hope for the best lol, usually their stone dead.

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Old Post 12-06-2012 12:22 AM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stick
New UKC Forum Member

thank you all for your responses. She has an antibiotic shot in her right now and seems to be doing ok with it. No breathing issues as of yet, thank the Lord. I also read up that at 10 days it peaks, she hunted 12 days ago today, so now what do I look for? I do have another question, normally I give distemper shots prior to season, this time however I didn't get around to giving one. Do you think that the shot helps with this or not?

Old Post 12-06-2012 01:10 AM
Stick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stick Click here to Send Stick a Private Message Click Here to Email Stick Find more posts by Stick Add Stick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

distemper shot will not have any benefit for this issue.
make sure your dog stays warm. they can get so weak that they are unable to curl up in a ball- if that happens and they are layed out flat they will get cold- can get hypothermic at even 50 degrees.

garminguru: We always do our best to have coon come out dead, but the dog that I had that got the disease was famous for running coon down in a slough and catching them. Our northern coon regularly get into the 25-30 pound range. he had a lot of vicious swamp fights.
But yes I agree, whenever shooting, shoot to kill.

Old Post 12-06-2012 03:34 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by truly
distemper shot will not have any benefit for this issue.
make sure your dog stays warm. they can get so weak that they are unable to curl up in a ball- if that happens and they are layed out flat they will get cold- can get hypothermic at even 50 degrees.

garminguru: We always do our best to have coon come out dead, but the dog that I had that got the disease was famous for running coon down in a slough and catching them. Our northern coon regularly get into the 25-30 pound range. he had a lot of vicious swamp fights.
But yes I agree, whenever shooting, shoot to kill.

I understand completely and was not assuming that anyone on this thread in particular was attempting to get a fight out of one.
I was really just wondering how many hunters out there actually liked bringing them out alive. I went with a guy a few weeks ago that was dieing for me to get one out alive. I told him he was out of his mind if he thought I was going to do that intentionally!
I actually was within 25 yards of the tree going in the other night and had one come out. I thought surely I do not have a dog fight and then I could hear the coon. He went hastily up another tree thank goodness.

Old Post 12-06-2012 03:51 AM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

this female caught alot of coon on the ground, and i have always like to shoot them out dead but it does not always happen or dogs get out to where you can not get them right away.

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 12-06-2012 01:15 PM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
headless01
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Stick
thank you all for your responses. She has an antibiotic shot in her right now and seems to be doing ok with it. No breathing issues as of yet, thank the Lord. I also read up that at 10 days it peaks, she hunted 12 days ago today, so now what do I look for? I do have another question, normally I give distemper shots prior to season, this time however I didn't get around to giving one. Do you think that the shot helps with this or not?
when dog catches coon on the ground, i always give them antibiotic shot as quick as i can, the sooner the better. it will fight it off, and save alot of trouble. never let my dog fight coon, thats asking for trouble.JMO
don't make dog a better coondog, its either in their blood or it ain't.

Old Post 12-06-2012 06:30 PM
headless01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for headless01 Click here to Send headless01 a Private Message Click Here to Email headless01 Find more posts by headless01 Add headless01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondogedog
UKC Forum Member

After my round with coondog paralisis I don't let my dogs have a coon unless it's dead. No exceptions. I never want a hound of mine to go thru that again.

Old Post 12-10-2012 03:18 PM
coondogedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondogedog Click here to Send coondogedog a Private Message Click Here to Email coondogedog Find more posts by coondogedog Add coondogedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wileyswalker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by headless01
when dog catches coon on the ground, i always give them antibiotic shot as quick as i can, the sooner the better. it will fight it off, and save alot of trouble. never let my dog fight coon, thats asking for trouble.JMO
don't make dog a better coondog, its either in their blood or it ain't.

messed with a lot of dogs that didn't know much bout nothing till they fought a coon....

Old Post 12-10-2012 05:26 PM
wileyswalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wileyswalker Click here to Send wileyswalker a Private Message Click Here to Email wileyswalker Find more posts by wileyswalker Add wileyswalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote