UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rewarding a Dog
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
It has nothing to do with any of that how many, how often ect ect ect... it is that it is the ultimate reward for a dog. Should they get or need every coon no. That would be a good way to get your dog to return to trees when game was not given. There is a balance in everything. Do you need to give this ultimate reward some to help develope the strongest coon lust in a dog, yes. All prefer it to those sausages and a pat on the head. The best dogs typically have true hatred of coons not just the want to track and tree

Oh I see. A dogs hatred of game is created, developed and maintained by dead coon falling out of trees...boy I'll tell ya that's the advantage of internet forums, you learn something new everyday.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:15 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh
Oh I see. A dogs hatred of game is created, developed and maintained by dead coon falling out of trees...boy I'll tell ya that's the advantage of internet forums, you learn something new everyday.

Slow learner. It's what happens after it hits the ground.

Question?? Back in the day of high hide prices and hundreds of coons being harvested to a dog over its lifetime what affect did it have on those dogs?
How many of you owned your once in a lifetime during those times?
Was accuracy an issue within those hounds?

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-02-2019 02:02 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Ohhhhh, so you wound them, let the dog get chewed on a little and that makes them hate the coon and become a better dog. So in these dogs it's not a lack of track or tree skills, it's just anger and desire to catch the coon to get back at the coon that bit them 3 days or a month ago.

If you shoot them out dead does it still work or doesn't it make the dog angry or hateful enough?

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 08-02-2019 02:16 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

No there is no need for them to be wounded and no need to be a smart _. Go back and read my post. My whole point is that a coon is a dogs ultimate reward. I also stated that there was no need to shoot every coon how many or how often - balance, that hunters know where the population needs thinned if not disease will do it, they know where the population needs to grow. I stated that hunters are typically the greatest conservationist.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Redneck Mafia

Question?? Back in the day of high hide prices and hundreds of coons being harvested to a dog over its lifetime what affect did it have on those dogs?
How many of you owned your once in a lifetime during those times?
Was accuracy an issue within those hounds?
[/QUOTE]

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-02-2019 02:49 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Ok. Let's say for argument sake I buy in 100% to your theory. Since there is no way to test it and no "control" group since all dogs are different, we will have to go simply on your direct observations and experiences.

Pre having coon shot out, how generally speaking, how would a hunter know when a dog "needs one". What do you observe in the dogs behaviour that lets you know it's time to enact your conservationslist tactics.

Following a coon, what improvements, generally speaking do you observe. Do you find the dog hunts harder? Tracks faster, gets treed quicker, more accurately, and trees harder (measured by barks per minute) than pre coon?

How long does this coon anger last?..generally of course as all dogs are different.

Your list of dogs is impressive on your signature, so you must be doing something right. Don't be offended if someone wants to learn from your experiences.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 08-02-2019 05:13 AM
yadkintar
Banned

It’s not just a reward for the dog it’s also a reward for me ! Most of us old doggies that hide hunted like to take coon occasionally. Its you telling your dog you struggled on that bad track you pushed it till you treed it and I respect your determination you got it bud ........... pyyyyyyow here it comes woooweee get him son.

Makes an ole man feel like a kid every time.

Tar

Old Post 08-02-2019 12:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Ashbaugh, as you said, "every dog is different". What works for one doesn't work for another. And what works in one area won't work in another. Also, the age/experience of the dog makes a big difference. There are a lot of different "good" ways to train a coondog but no one "best" way. Each handler/trainer is different also. Some have a lot more patience than others and some are willing to go a lot slower than others.
You can't "learn" from someone else's experiences. You have to "learn" from your own. And you have to be willing to try new ideas in order to learn new techniques.

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I guess I need to focus my efforts on dogs that can still have the desire to hunt without illegally shooting coon out of season. Unlike Tar, I don't enjoy it and to me its not worth the risk of losing my hunting liscense or peace of mind to inspire a dog.

Hopefully those dogs can find a good owner who buys into the mantra, "just a few more coons"....:-)

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:35 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I guess I need to focus my efforts on dogs that can still have the desire to hunt without illegally shooting coon out of season. Unlike Tar, I don't enjoy it and to me its not worth the risk of losing my hunting liscense or peace of mind to inspire a dog.

Hopefully those dogs can find a good owner who buys into the mantra, "just a few more coons"....:-)

Do you deer hunt ? Do you let that 37 point buck just walk by ? It’s part of the hunt ! Here in Oklahoma we got year around season now but I don’t put out one just once in a while. If you don’t take some Mother Nature will take a bunch of them. Catfish limit is 13” - 15 per person per day I take my limit every day.

Tar

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well said Richard

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:48 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Do you deer hunt ? Do you let that 37 point buck just walk by ? It’s part of the hunt ! Here in Oklahoma we got year around season now but I don’t put out one just once in a while. If you don’t take some Mother Nature will take a bunch of them. Catfish limit is 13” - 15 per person per day I take my limit every day.

Tar

I do deer hunt, but I don't care much for killing deer anymore either. If your season is year round, then heck yes go for it, I can't see it hurting....ours is not and for me it's not worth it.

With our laws what your doing would be like shooting the buck at night with a light and a .22....just another poacher

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 08-02-2019 01:54 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

As I said,:
Different dogs...different methods
Different trainers...different methods
Different areas with different laws..different methods

But don't try to tell someone else that "your" method is "better" than their's or that their method is wrong. It may be wrong for you, with your dog, in your area but not for them.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-02-2019 at 02:23 PM

Old Post 08-02-2019 02:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

i have 2 13 month old plott pups that are both treeing their own coon. We shoot every one they tree out to them until they are treeing coons on a regular basis. I have my two year old that i have not knocked a coon out to since january. If you don't think that putting game in a dogs mouth helps them create drive then you need to come watch my lab on retrieving a bumper and then the difference when he is getting ducks in his mouth. It's night and day to the urgency the dogs have to get their task done when their is game at the end of it. I do think something about putting game in dogs mouths builds drive. And yes all dogs are different. Some might not take many at all. Some might take alot to build it up. But as long as those pups are putting me under them I'm gonna put them out to them.

Old Post 08-02-2019 04:05 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
As I said,:
Different dogs...different methods
Different trainers...different methods
Different areas with different laws..different methods

But don't try to tell someone else that "your" method is "better" than their's or that their method is wrong. It may be wrong for you, with your dog, in your area but not for them.

X2 thank you Richard. I feel like we were all being bashed by on an anti forum instead of a coonhounds forums for people to discuss ciinHUNTING.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-02-2019 04:35 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

Please quote and paste the part where I said my method was better other than it being illegal in our state.

If someone makes a claim that something works I guess I don't find it all that wrong to ask for some empirical evidence or at the very least some direct experience observations that show me that the method that are promoting leads to better results than the other method.

If they cannot do this, I have to conclude that they think it helps, not that that know it helps. Simple as that.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 08-02-2019 04:40 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I do deer hunt, but I don't care much for killing deer anymore either. If your season is year round, then heck yes go for it, I can't see it hurting....ours is not and for me it's not worth it.

With our laws what your doing would be like shooting the buck at night with a light and a .22....just another poacher

So it appears your reasoning comes down to the law not the training of a dog. That's fine and I understand completely, BUT that wasn't the point you were trying to push over on this post. Your reasoning was because dogs didn't "need" coons not because you didn't want to get caught shooting them.