UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Reeling them back in one cross at a time!!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It doesn't matter how many coons they tree if you have to walk or run 5 miles in a hunt. It takes all of the fun out of it. A hunt becomes a marathon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2019 03:06 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Is the walking all night why it is a sport and not a pleasure hunt? Would anyone complain if you could drive like you can pleasure hunting? Are we an out of shape society that's getting lazy? How many could go back to the iron man 3 hour straight no moving spots and no gps of yesterday? I only know a few. They are the same guys that at the end of the night when all others are sucking air at the tailgate volunteer to go help you catch your dog so you won't go alone or on timeout sprint to get an older gentleman's dog to be back within an hour catching theirs too.
I hear some complain of trespassing when dogs go yonder, dogs went yonder years ago too but landowners were more cooperative. I understand the complaints for this but not for walking during a competition coonhunt.
Stick with the dogs being a problem of getting on posted land the walking doesn't hold any water and should be zero of the discussion.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-26-2019 03:58 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Take away the ability to track dogs and or shock them and in 10 years or less " 'Ol deep and lonely" will dry up and blow away.............and so will a lot of their handlers!

Old Post 07-26-2019 04:19 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

One more thing didn't guys primarily walk hunt behind dogs back in the old days hooping and whooping at them as they opened and hunt from dark till daylight on foot in search of coons hides were high and it was many's livelihood coonhunt competitions were a rarity and you can go to any number of hunts any given week. Man i bet they'd be disappointed in y'all griping about walking to hounds and in me setting on thos snake checked log waiting on these puppies to do something productive.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-26-2019 04:26 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Full of screws and plates from head to toe. But I still got the heart to walk to dogs being productive hunting the whole woods if they need to get deep that’s one thing. But I refuse to follow a babble blow deep idiot and we all know they are becoming very common.

The old guys are staying home because we know the difference.

You cannot snow the snowman.

Tar

Old Post 07-26-2019 11:23 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

"Sucking air at the tailgate"? Now that sounds like a lot of fun. Is it a competition to see who has the best coonhound or a marathon to see who is in the best shape? If we want to hunt in a big hunt, do we have to go out in the afternoon and start running 5-10 miles everyday to get in shape?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-26-2019 at 01:17 PM

Old Post 07-26-2019 01:10 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
"Sucking air at the tailgate"? Now that sounds like a lot of fun. Is it a competition to see who has the best coonhound or a marathon to see who is in the best shape? If we want to hunt in a big hunt, do we have to go out in the afternoon and start running 5-10 miles everyday to get in shape?

I walked 500 yards each way and picked two buckets of wild grapes while ago does that count lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-26-2019 04:41 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I walked 500 yards each way and picked two buckets of wild grapes while ago does that count lol.

Tar

Yes sir! Great exercise.
Almost all of us could use to be in better shape. We are becoming a lazy stagnant society! Everyone needs to quit whining.
Richard what are your expectations of what you as a handler should be doing for the allotted time during a hunt? How much time should be spent standing still? Doesn't the cast have to walk at a pace attainable by all?
Like I stated earlier those with complaints of go yonder dogs trespassing and causing problems when they are guiding, I hear you. But those complaining because they have to walk coonhunting... suck it up buttercup!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-26-2019 06:54 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Not all pleasure hunters drive around to their dogs, I ain't that dang lazy. 99% of the time, I'm on foot as long as my dogs are. When my dogs hear my truck crank up, some of them think I'm leaving them.

Old Post 07-26-2019 07:30 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Not all pleasure hunters drive around to their dogs, I ain't that dang lazy. 99% of the time, I'm on foot as long as my dogs are. When my dogs hear my truck crank up, some of them think I'm leaving them.

I drive around then I walk. My dogs are so famous that I can’t hunt them when it’s lightening. They are so used to getting their picture took when it flashes they stop and pose on a log.

Tar

Old Post 07-26-2019 07:46 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf

Come on, you don’t holler and woop up your dogs like all us poor dumb pleasure hunters?

That’s the reason I hate them blow through the country dogs. It would take me all night and into the morning to cross out, go down the other side and then climb back up and come back across. Not to mention that 2,500 ft up 2,500ft down and then back up and back down. 10,000 ft of elevation change ain’t no joke.

Old Post 07-26-2019 08:55 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Come on, you don’t holler and woop up your dogs like all us poor dumb pleasure hunters?

That’s the reason I hate them blow through the country dogs. It would take me all night and into the morning to cross out, go down the other side and then climb back up and come back across. Not to mention that 2,500 ft up 2,500ft down and then back up and back down. 10,000 ft of elevation change ain’t no joke.

Yes Sir, I give them the REBEL YELL!

Old Post 07-26-2019 10:47 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Where are the dogs of the ones so concerned with where ol deep is at, are they treeing a bunch closer and faster?

Usually chasing deep and alone through the woods barking their idiot heads off.

Old Post 07-27-2019 01:51 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Reeling them back in one cross at a time!!

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
Just about every dog for sale has the deep and lonely tag on it and the last few I had were about the same..Where are the dogs that strike a coon within hearing most every time and trail a coon up and tree it..Breed wise? Line within the breed??

Most of them deep and alone dogs advertised wont even go hunting by themselves. So I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Old Post 07-27-2019 02:55 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Just about every dog for sale has the deep and lonely tag on it and the last few I had were about the same..Where are the dogs that strike a coon within hearing most every time and trail a coon up and tree it..Breed wise? Line within the breed??

Most of them deep and alone dogs advertised wont even go hunting by themselves. So I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Old Post 07-27-2019 02:56 PM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Interesting to see the twists and turns of all the responses, but not one addressing your question and listing a dog(s) or strain known for the traits you mention

I dare say they must be nonexistent, or their owners are not compelled to share about them?

Necessity dictates the need, this day and age with hides pretty well worthless doesn’t seem to have have the need for the traits you mention.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 07-27-2019 03:05 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Reeling them back in one cross at a time!!

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
Interesting to see the twists and turns of all the responses, but not one addressing your question and listing a dog(s) or strain known for the traits you mention

I dare say they must be nonexistent, or their owners are not compelled to share about them?

Necessity dictates the need, this day and age with hides pretty well worthless doesn’t seem to have have the need for the traits you mention.

There's dogs of all breeds and all lines that will hunt around you. So I guess I'm not understanding exactly what to say. From my experience how you train a pup has to do with how far they hunt. But if you want a close hunting breed on average then get you any off colored dog. Walkers have been bred to go, and not let grass grow under their feet. The other breeds haven't been bred the same way so they are more the old school style and type.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Last edited by novicane65 on 07-27-2019 at 05:28 PM

Old Post 07-27-2019 05:25 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would say terrain has a lot to do how fast a dog can get deep and alone. Sometimes here they might have to get 600 yards or further to get struck but it’s going to take them awhile lol. Now up in the fall in those mowed pecan bottoms I hunt if you hit a night when the coons are not moving they can get deep quick because they are not used to that clean of woods.

Tar

Old Post 07-27-2019 05:52 PM
joeok1986
UKC Forum Member

I like to hunt a dog that hunts accordingly, by that I mean I don’t want one blowing out if there are coon to be treed around me. On the other hand o don’t want one at my feet. If it has to go a mile to tree one that’s fine to, also I have noticed that in thick coon you don’t run a mile to tree one but in thin coon you can do in a hurry. If I’m hunting in thick coon and ones going a mile before it’s treeing I’m gonna change that or change dogs. Same goes if I’m hunting in thin coon and the dog isn’t going I’m gonna to change it or change dogs. Most of the time ol blow and go can be settled down and it will hunt right but ok stand at your feet most of them don’t ever make a dog worth hunting, or the ol slick treeing idiot. Most of the time your not fixing that problem.

Old Post 07-28-2019 06:14 AM
joeok1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joeok1986 Click here to Send joeok1986 a Private Message Click Here to Email joeok1986 Find more posts by joeok1986 Add joeok1986 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

quote:

The availability of land to coon hunt is getting more difficult to find every month. Deer hunters and urban development is creating smaller areas that you can hunt in my area. It is vital that you have a dog that you can direct and control or you risk loosing permission to hunt, and fines for trespassing as well as allowing a dog to "Run at Large". In Wisconsin when a dog enters property that you do not have permission to be on you can be fined for allowing your dog to "Run at Large".
I pleasure hunt multiple times a week and cant risk loosing land to hunt on because someone that I take hunting doesn't have the ability to cast their dog only on one side of the road as the land on the other side is Posted and entering it will result fines and the possibility of becoming a felon if convicted twice. As a guide on a coon hunt where you have no idea what being turned loose you take a huge risk. Hounds that hunt wherever they want to instead of there I want them to are Culls.

Old Post 07-28-2019 12:46 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Penney pups

Penney produces dog that have an extreme desire to please their owners and have a high intelligence. They tree coon as they come to them, hunt deep quickly with the goal of treeing coon their #1 goal. Penney would tree several coon while the deep and alone dog was getting deep. The average deep and alone dog is at a huge disadvantage when hunted against a top dog that trees coon as they come to them. But where coon are scarce the deep and alone dog can win over the better dog because the opportunities to tree coon are less.

Old Post 07-28-2019 02:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joeok1986
UKC Forum Member

Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of guys are not doing homework on the stud dog they chose, yes they choose a dual grand but we all know that not all dogs that make grand are coon dogs. Now that that is being said from what I have seen and heard out of the dogs mr. and mrs. Cummings are pushing are the kind I like they tend to hunt accordingly. That being said I know that in every liter of pups no two are the same so you may get that deep and lonely out of a liter here and there but a lot of the time deep and lonely can be fixed. Most deep and lonely dogs it starts when you start them they are pups that are wired 880 they have all this energy and want to do something with it so usually on the first dump they blow out about a mile before they start hunting, my solution to that is about a hour or more before you take that pup is out it on a run line let it burn off that energy, if it keeps doing it then go to the option you know when a dog is hunting or if it’s just racing as I like to call it. A old man I use to hunt with knew how to make one hunt the way he wanted it to sometimes it was rough on a dog sometimes it wasn’t but he could make one think before it just took off. He said it many times it’s stores energy

Old Post 07-28-2019 03:53 PM
joeok1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joeok1986 Click here to Send joeok1986 a Private Message Click Here to Email joeok1986 Find more posts by joeok1986 Add joeok1986 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote