UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Black and Tan Colored Redbones
Do you have experience with black/tan colored redbones?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, have had them born here 48 27.91%
No, never had them - never heard of them 28 16.28%
Heard of it happening 82 47.67%
No way, a redbone can not be black/tan colored 14 8.14%
Total: 172 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
masterd1976
UKC Forum Member

Just my two cents, but it more of possibility that they were breed to a dobberman, to get them more cat footed for the bench. I've heard of breeders doing this.

former co owner of
Ukc nitechampion at 12 months 2wins toward Grand
Smooth Talking Sammy ( Son of Cyclone)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-23-2009 02:08 PM
masterd1976 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for masterd1976 Click here to Send masterd1976 a Private Message Click Here to Email masterd1976 Find more posts by masterd1976 Add masterd1976 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

I have heard of that also, I would hunt Black and Tans, if it wasnt so hard to get a good one. When you do it will cost you a fortune. I am just disapointed with the breed.
I like the looks of them, and the mouth they usually have, but cant keep them streight, deer and hog runningist dogs I ever had.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 08-23-2009 02:36 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

I am keeping one of the b/t colored females and I will be sending in her DNA to a company that tests the DNA and sends a certificate back to you telling you the primary, secondary breeds that are in there as well as anything that may be a mystery due to not having enough DNA to register a positive result but does register as something other than primary. I will have no problem in posting the results of this. If it shows something else in there, I will also test the parents. If it shows no other breeds than redbone, we shall have ultimate proof.
Don't know how accurate this testing is but I'm still doing it. I'll also inquire with various scientists to see how accurate they feel it may be and I need to find out how many generations of 'pure' it takes to register on this DNA test as pure.

The b/t pups I sell will be sold with a spay/neuter request.

It really is not far fetched. Redbones did not start out red. You're going to get throw backs.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

The only time that you should look down on anyone is when you're helping them up.

Old Post 08-29-2009 09:46 PM
Janet Ford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Janet Ford Click here to Send Janet Ford a Private Message Click Here to Email Janet Ford Visit Janet Ford's homepage! Find more posts by Janet Ford Add Janet Ford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nethery
I have heard of that also, I would hunt Black and Tans, if it wasnt so hard to get a good one. When you do it will cost you a fortune. I am just disapointed with the breed.
I like the looks of them, and the mouth they usually have, but cant keep them streight, deer and hog runningist dogs I ever had.

I suppose it all depends on your personal experiences. Our pup trainer is a b/t. We haven't bred her. She's 9 now, I think. We purchased her from Gary Plumb. Super gal. NONE of our current dogs have ever run deer.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

The only time that you should look down on anyone is when you're helping them up.

Old Post 08-29-2009 09:52 PM
Janet Ford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Janet Ford Click here to Send Janet Ford a Private Message Click Here to Email Janet Ford Visit Janet Ford's homepage! Find more posts by Janet Ford Add Janet Ford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Janet Ford
I suppose it all depends on your personal experiences. Our pup trainer is a b/t. We haven't bred her. She's 9 now, I think. We purchased her from Gary Plumb. Super gal. NONE of our current dogs have ever run deer.

I guess, I hunt alot of deer territory, and often turn my hounds loose in front of herds of deer and hogs. Hunt around Deer Feeders and I have never seen a Black and Tan, that could handle this, I tried hard to have a good black and tan,Tried several, spent a fortune, and have no use for them. From my experience, they are a big game running hound.
If I ever take up Hog Hunting, the Black and Tan will be my breed again.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 08-30-2009 01:59 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

We live in heavy deer territory. The deer come right up to the dogs that are in the outside kennels here (most of ours are indoors but we rotate the dogs). The deer come right up to our house. Drives my JRTs crazy but our coonhounds could care less except for one redbone male but then only if he's kenneled, never when he's been on leash or loose. I think it's boredom in the kennel. Zero deer running here but PLENTY of opportunities. We have red, english and b/t.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-30-2009 02:17 PM
c r robbins
UKC Forum Member

Janet, your PM box is full, resending e-mail .

Old Post 08-30-2009 10:59 PM
c r robbins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c r robbins Click here to Send c r robbins a Private Message Click Here to Email c r robbins Find more posts by c r robbins Add c r robbins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Janet Ford
We live in heavy deer territory. The deer come right up to the dogs that are in the outside kennels here (most of ours are indoors but we rotate the dogs). The deer come right up to our house. Drives my JRTs crazy but our coonhounds could care less except for one redbone male but then only if he's kenneled, never when he's been on leash or loose. I think it's boredom in the kennel. Zero deer running here but PLENTY of opportunities. We have red, english and b/t.

I am glad you have not had the same problems with Black and Tans that I have had.

Janet, I am giving the Black and Tan Breed one more chance, this is it, and its with a Blood line, that I have never tried, The Schienker Line.
I will be hunting a hound of this Bloodline this winter, and If its like the rest I have tried, It will be the last one I ever mess with.
I will give it a fair chance, I hope this hound does good.

Last edited by Richard Nethery on 08-30-2009 at 11:50 PM

Old Post 08-30-2009 11:06 PM
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Janet
I have several old books with pictures of "redbones" that look more like high tan walkers than anything else--way more than saddlebacked. Unfortunately, the photos are in black and white so you can't see anything subtle about the coloration.

there is a throwback redbone that was sold without papers to a guy near me--no idea what bloodline--who looks like a monkey-faced b&t without pencil lines on toes, except that her "tan" is much redder than a typical b&t. She is a good looking hound and is built like a typical redbone, not a typical b&t.

Old Post 08-31-2009 12:43 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by c r robbins
Janet, your PM box is full, resending e-mail .

Sorry about that. I'm on a road trip. Currently in Texas. I'll clean it up asap. I'll go look for your email. I'm far behind on all things computer right now.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 09-04-2009 04:48 PM
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Nethery
I am glad you have not had the same problems with Black and Tans that I have had.

Janet, I am giving the Black and Tan Breed one more chance, this is it, and its with a Blood line, that I have never tried, The Schienker Line.
I will be hunting a hound of this Bloodline this winter, and If its like the rest I have tried, It will be the last one I ever mess with.
I will give it a fair chance, I hope this hound does good.

Sure hope this hound does really well for you. I've only just branched into including b/ts into our pack a few years ago but I'm really enjoying mine.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 09-04-2009 04:50 PM
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Emily
Janet
I have several old books with pictures of "redbones" that look more like high tan walkers than anything else--way more than saddlebacked. Unfortunately, the photos are in black and white so you can't see anything subtle about the coloration.

there is a throwback redbone that was sold without papers to a guy near me--no idea what bloodline--who looks like a monkey-faced b&t without pencil lines on toes, except that her "tan" is much redder than a typical b&t. She is a good looking hound and is built like a typical redbone, not a typical b&t.

Emily,

That sounds like a fun looking redbone. Wonder what the bloodlines would be.

Do you have the names of the publications so I could look them up? And if anyone here has any old coonhound books that either show or discuss coonhound history of any of the breeds, I'd be willing to purchase them from you. I'd like more research quality books/magazines.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 09-04-2009 04:54 PM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

It happens.

B and T Redbone pups. Saw it 20 years ago, still see it sometimes now. Freaked out the first litter of redbones I raised, when first born they all looked like blackish and tanish with white stripe from chin down the neck to the belly. I thought a cur dog had bred my little pr female. A couple days later only one pup was black and tan. All the rest ended up all red with dark redish black stipe down their back and tail ( totally meeting redbone standard). The black and tan pup was given to a hide hunter.
Well anyway I've seen it come from a few different lines. Seems like some females when crossed with certain males it happens. Funny thing is first litter may have 3 b and t' s then make same cross again and all pups are red.
I figure it will always happen, the genes are there and they always will be.
I would not count this cross out especially if these pups make good coon hunting dogs ( I think several other breeders wouldn't count this cross out ).
Register the reds and cull or give away the blacks to the hide hunters.
Remember, some believe the black and tan and redbone were brothers and sisters when it all started years ago before registration and selective breeding. ( makes since )
OH, and some stud dog owners say " my dog has never thrown a black and tan, maybe true, but if the stud meets up with enough females there is a good chance he'll throw a black one or 2.
No big deal in my opinion.
Darrin

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 09-04-2009 05:36 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

The redbones have hope after all!!!

Barry Morris,
Call me when your bitch comes in heat and I will give you a free breeding to Son!

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Old Post 09-05-2009 05:14 PM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

I just left Branson, MO. Been gone for 18 days.
John just told me my b/t colored pups aren't so b/t anymore but "a funny reddish color". I'll videotape them when I get home and show everyone.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 09-05-2009 09:18 PM
riproarinkennel
Banned

KENNETH

quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tavares

Barry Morris,
Call me when your bitch comes in heat and I will give you a free breeding to Son!

He said he would hold you to that. Says he's going to name a male from that cross Rip-Roarin' Son of my Bitch. His female looks like she has some black and tan in her already. In the picture, his pup is on the left and my pup is on the right. Both are shemales.
Janet

http://www.myspace.com/janetandbarrymorris

Old Post 09-06-2009 02:06 AM
riproarinkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riproarinkennel Click here to Send riproarinkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email riproarinkennel Find more posts by riproarinkennel Add riproarinkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

Re: KENNETH

quote:
Originally posted by riproarinkennel
Says he's going to name a male from that cross Rip-Roarin' Son of my Bitch.

That is a good one!!! LOL

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013

Old Post 09-06-2009 07:25 AM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nitehunter
UKC Forum Member

I remember 35 yrs ago when I was attending Cornell University (where they have a vet school) I was in the library bored (after checking out the chicks) so I was pulling out books on coonhounds. There was one written by a veterinarian and in the book he had the ancestory of the breeds documented. This may hurt some feelings, but in the book he noted the Redbone hounds as being decendents of the Black & Tan breed.

My guess is he may be referring to saddleback black & tans back when the book was written, probably 60 yrs ago, and when they had pups without any saddles, they seperated them and started crossing them on each other to get a line of red bones that later grew into a breed that had its own standard. If all of this is true, then I would expect that anything carrying some of those genes with enough dogs crossed back and forth that carried that gene would somewhere connect and give you some black dogs. My guess is that you would not want to make the cross with the same parents again, and find something that doesn't have alot of the same ancestry criss crossed 4 or 5 generations back. I am a B&T man, so I think those black pups look pretty good.

Cell Ph: 716-258-0012
Home of:
NTCH PR Petrus Windall Bawls Deep Axle has 4 wins to GRNTCH
NTCH PR Windfall's Coon Zapper had 4 wins to GRCH(out of GRNTCH Nelson's Northern Rex)
GRNTCGRCH "PR"Windfall's Hardriding Hobie (GRNTCH "PR" Dark Hollow Hobo's Hoss x GRNTCH Halloway's TN Lady)-recently deceased 6-15-2011
GRNTCH "PR" Windfall's Ratface Ghost HTX (GRNTCH Bauer's KS Jr x GRNTCH Masten's Knockem Out Jill), recently deceased summer 2011
NTCH "PR" Windfall's Wreckin Bawl Boomer (Direct Out of GRNTCH Cypress Creek Setum Up Ace and a Fiddler gyp)
GRCH "PR" Windfall's Miracle Macey (1st & 2nd UKC Win) (GRNTCHGRCH Windfall's Hardriding Hobie x PR Windfall's Sadie) recently deceased 2011
Sold ownership of CH GRNTCH PR LV's Windfall Hi Dollar Tango- now deceased Dec 2012

Old Post 09-06-2009 03:38 PM
Nitehunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nitehunter Click here to Send Nitehunter a Private Message Click Here to Email Nitehunter Find more posts by Nitehunter Add Nitehunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

As promised, I took some videos of these pups.
They are 5 wks old.

Being shown raccoon hide for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkf0Ld4rhd0

Playing in yard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7i1ZQKQdQ

Hey, Dave, don't suppose you remember the title of that book? I'd like to read it.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 09-14-2009 04:52 PM
gi_meredbones
UKC Forum Member

black n tan pups

had a litter show up like this, black and tans are just as good looking as the red bones. janet the mother came from you i got her in december 05.

Old Post 11-30-2009 04:56 PM
gi_meredbones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gi_meredbones Click here to Send gi_meredbones a Private Message Click Here to Email gi_meredbones Find more posts by gi_meredbones Add gi_meredbones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAWL_TRACK
UKC Forum Member

theres a old sayin i think maybe most know what im talkin bout lol but i think a blk&tan is in the ped not far back not talking bout when they were started either might of not been you that bk&tan come from but maybe an grandparent that has a strongggg blk gene threw cause most everthing ive seen bred to red bones came out red ............ an how would you register them ??? but in your cause if there dna. i'd get get the papers they cant tell you no if you got the dna. can they? .....just curious never heard of people tryin to register off colord full blooded dogs an heard the out come

Old Post 11-30-2009 06:23 PM
BAWL_TRACK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAWL_TRACK Click here to Send BAWL_TRACK a Private Message Click Here to Email BAWL_TRACK Find more posts by BAWL_TRACK Add BAWL_TRACK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JEFFHESTER
UKC Forum Member

Seen it before

A local around here that hunts redbones had it happen. They were as nice as the ones in the pics. I believe his dogs went back on Woodpecker. This happened 20 years ago.
Jeff

Verizon phone numbers:
(423) 744-4092
HESTERSBLACKANDTANHOUNDS@live.com

Find my Facebook page:
Hester's Black & Tan Hounds

www.HestersBlackandTanHounds.com
Smokey Mountain Training Facility
Victory Starts Here!!!

DUAL PURPOSE HOUNDS
Hester's Tennessee Black
American Black & Tan Big Game and Coon Hounds

Home of the hounds with grit,track
and tree power!!!

Champion Grand Nite Champion Hester's This Time Alvin

Grand Nite Champion Hester's The Big Show Brutus(Performance Sire)

Nite Champion Hester's The Big Show Mojo

GRAND CHAMPION NITE CHAMPION HESTER'S TENNESSEE TIMBER CRUISER

CHAMPION NITE CHAMPION BLACK WIDOW

GRAND CHAMPION GRAND NITE CHAMPION HESTER'S BLACK PEARL

GRAND CHAMPION HESTER'S WAR EAGLE

GRAND CHAMPION HESTER'S THE BIG SHOW STYMIE

Old Post 11-30-2009 06:43 PM
JEFFHESTER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JEFFHESTER Click here to Send JEFFHESTER a Private Message Click Here to Email JEFFHESTER Find more posts by JEFFHESTER Add JEFFHESTER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riproarinkennel
Banned

UP

Old Post 07-25-2010 08:15 PM
riproarinkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riproarinkennel Click here to Send riproarinkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email riproarinkennel Find more posts by riproarinkennel Add riproarinkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

quote:

Barry Morris,

Is this why you brought the post to the top... wanting your free breeding to Son?

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013

Old Post 07-25-2010 09:15 PM
riproarinkennel
Banned

LMAO

quote:
Is this why you brought the post to the top... wanting your free breeding to Son?
ACTUALLY ... IT WAS FOR SOMEONE WHO SENT ME A PM ABOUT BLACK-N-TAN REDBONES.

DOES THE OFFER STILL STAND ? LOL.

Old Post 07-26-2010 12:29 PM