UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Puppy Food
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

Puppy Food

I have raised pups through the years . I tried different puppy foods and vitamins in different combinations trying to produce a good healthy looking well taken care of puppy. wich I have done, but some looked better than others. I have a friend that raises the best looking taken care of pups that Ive ever seen. The pups have a edge over most pups that Ive seen . I have tried it just like he told me to do ,,But,, My pups hasn't looked like his.,, Would some of you guys share the way you take care of your pups with me .. What kind of puppy food ? Vitamins ? what ever it is that you do Ect Ect Ect Ive used $25 dollar a bag pup food up to $50.00 a bag and didn't notice a lot of difference in either food or looks of pups . thanks Have a Blessed One ,,, Ron

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-05-2019 06:28 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I think that proper deworming and plenty of exercise is the key. Any good puppy chow will work without supplements. And healthy mothers produce healthy pups.

Old Post 08-05-2019 02:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I think Richard hit nail on head about healthy mommas. I have two females that are just unreal milkers and good mommas and it sure makes it easy on me !
I'm a big fan of powdered lamb milk on feed for momma and also pups later when they age and start eating some mush.
Also i keep back alot of beef fat , raw red meat diced , and beef liver from a slaughter plant near me.
I pre package in advance those three together and freeze ALOT of em back in ziplock bags (about 60 bags ). The raw meat is the extra she gets in addition to her daily food with powdered lamb milk on it. Ive tried Victor puppy, ProPac puppy and Purina Pro Plan Sport. all 3 were great. But Like the purina best !!!

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:16 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I think that proper deworming and plenty of exercise is the key. Any good puppy chow will work without supplements. And healthy mothers produce healthy pups.

X2. Around here the little ones are wormed once a week and are like free range chickens.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:25 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

I use a mixture of rice cereal combined with Purina puppy chow along with nemex 2 until they get old enough for big dog wormer as far as mama dog 2 weeks before the due date I start mixing alpo and raw eggs in with her regular dog food to help with milk production never had a problem with pups or mama dog

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:36 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Two weeks before whelping I give the momma a slice of beef liver twice a week...I feed her twice a day with a high quality food and keep plenty of fresh water in front of her when she is raising pups..she needs plenty of water to make plenty of milk...
I have a liksit waterer in every kennel but when a female is nursing pups I use a water bucket so she can just gulp it down...

I worm pups once a week and momma once a week as well...

Last edited by Reuben on 08-06-2019 at 12:51 AM

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:46 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Years ago when puppy chow had the powdered milk coating it was good feed. After they changed it my pups didn't like it as good nor grow as good on it. I feed a 24/20 feed and my pups prefered it over puppy chow and do as good or better on it. A friend of mine used to pour milk replacement in his self feeder over the dog food. His would grow so fast they would knuckle over. I had rather they grow at a normal rate. I feel proper wormer and good feed is all that is necessary.

Old Post 08-05-2019 11:48 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote